Topic locked

Decent run by a qualifier?

Postby SnookerFan

In 2005, Shaun Murphy won the title as a qualifier. It was a big deal.

Since then Mark Selby, Graeme Dott and Judd Trump has got to the final, whilst be qualifiers. This run has propelled them into/back into the top-16.

Just for fun, do people think there will be a decent run/run to the final by a qualifier this season? And if you had to guess who it would be, who would you guess?

Re: Decent run by a qualifier?

Postby mtarsky147

Ebdon & Hendry are the usual suspects for a good run. Liang Wenbo and Mark Davis could put something together. But for me Andrew Higginson is the one for very handy run.

Postby SnookerFan

mtarsky147 wrote:Ebdon & Hendry are the usual suspects for a good run. Liang Wenbo and Mark Davis could put something together. But for me Andrew Higginson is the one for very handy run.

You reckon?

Stephen Lee will prove tough to beat.

Postby nice_shoes_ken

SnookerFan wrote:
You reckon?

Stephen Lee will prove tough to beat.

Im not quite sure to be honest, Stephen is on great form over 4-5-6 frame matches, but when it came to a final best of 19, in which he will have to play next week, he looked like he couldn't handle it when he lost 10-1 to Mark Allen.

Shorter matches Lee is probably the on form player on the Snooker circuit, but I have my doubts over him in best of 19 and beyond. Does he even have the stamina to last that long, Higginson will surely test him aswell because he is a very talented player who is capable of beating Stephen.

Wouldn't rule out Higginson tbh ;-)

Postby Casey

Stephen has never really done it at the Crucible before so Andrew could well take his the distance.

Postby PLtheRef

Casey; I think its 2007 or 2008 since Lee last won a match at the Crucible.

l I've mentioned to many at the qualifiers at the EIS that I think that this year could see a qualifier causing danger. The reason being is that with the qualifiers backing on to the finals all 16 who qualify; in particular Luca, Cao and Gilbert are qualifying in arguably the form of their careers. - Couple to the fact that Ebdon won China and qualified with a 10-0 win in his qualifier suggests that these could all danger could come from these players - with good runs for several of the top 16 already fading well into the distance.

That said 10 of the 16 qualifiers have reached the last 16 at the Crucible before. However, I think I've said 12 of the top 16 will win their first round matches.

Postby Alex0paul

Really fancy Liu to have a decent run this year

Postby Roland

Tough draw having Williams though but I've gone for him in the predictions. When all is said and done, he was the 4th player behind O'Sullivan, Hendry and Trump to reach the Crucible as a 17 year old and now he's 20 or 21 (can't remember if it was 2008 or 09) and has more tour experience behind him. Luca is the 5th and he's obviously going places. You don't reach the Crucible stages from round 1 of the qualifiers if you haven't got something special. If not this tournament then certainly in the next couple of seasons most snooker fans will know who he is. He's still not on many radars, and a lot of previews and predictions seem to have him well beat by Williams already.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:In 2005, Shaun Murphy won the title as a qualifier. It was a big deal.

Since then Mark Selby, Graeme Dott and Judd Trump has got to the final, whilst be qualifiers. This run has propelled them into/back into the top-16.

Just for fun, do people think there will be a decent run/run to the final by a qualifier this season? And if you had to guess who it would be, who would you guess?

Just re-read that. I should proof-read. I sound like somebody who speaks English as a second language. rofl

Postby mtarsky147

Higginson has had a cracking season, he's entering this tournament with confidence. Lee's defeat to Allen may haunt him a little bit. I'm certain it will be close, 10-8 to either player if not 10-9, but I just fancy Higginson.

Liang Wenbo winning against Higgins is also something I genuinely expect. £5 went on that the second I heard the draw.

Postby Wildey

mtarsky147 wrote:Higginson has had a cracking season, he's entering this tournament with confidence. Lee's defeat to Allen may haunt him a little bit. I'm certain it will be close, 10-8 to either player if not 10-9, but I just fancy Higginson.

Liang Wenbo winning against Higgins is also something I genuinely expect. £5 went on that the second I heard the draw.

Higgins not had the best season but neither has Liang and he almost cocked up his qualifier to get there....if higgins is low on confidence then Liang is not the man to beat him.

Postby Skullman

mtarsky147 wrote:Higginson has had a cracking season, he's entering this tournament with confidence. Lee's defeat to Allen may haunt him a little bit. I'm certain it will be close, 10-8 to either player if not 10-9, but I just fancy Higginson.

I think Higgins has only lost in the first round twice: once on his debut and once against Selby in 2006. Plus Liang's never beaten John, even this season when he's been playing mediocre. The only long frame match they had Liang got thrashed. I think if Higgins is going out early it'll be against be Hendry. If Bingham wins, I can't see it happening either.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Just re-read that. I should proof-read. I sound like somebody who speaks English as a second language. rofl

What's new...? :-)

Postby Smart

I watched a fair bit of LIVE streaming for this years worlds and was really pleased that a lot of the focus was on LUCA. I say this cos I had not seen him before and wanted to gauge for myself what the hype and story was. I could not be more impressed with what I saw. The kid is not just a great cueist but he knows the game tactically very well. This is what has shocked me most of all. He is not a basher, not just a breakbuilder akin to most young upstarts. He plays some shots that seasoned pros would not think of - or would not be able to execute.

You might think I am bigging him up to much, and so the case maybe.

I think LUCA has the game to do damage, and he is not the "rabbit in the headlight" sort.

I have predicted LUCA to progress in R1, no expectation but he has the game. He is well and truly honed into best of 19 snooker, he is match sharp, he is expected to be cannon fodder.

Prediction: Luca to win a tight one. <ok>