Mid Session Intervals

Like Mid Session Intervals
95%
Dont Like Mid Session Intervals
5%

Total votes : 19

Mid Session Intervals.

Postby Wildey

There's a few people that has sort of Suggested no Mid Session intervals in Best of 9 same as Best of 7s or even in 8 or 9 frame session at the crucible or over longer matches.

i for one Like how intervals turn matches as was the case With Ronnie in Germany against Higginson or Ding Today.

Having to deal with psychology of Intervals is a important part of Snooker to find how strong mentally players Like Ben Woollaston are holding a comanding Lead.

Thoughts ?

Re: Mid Session Intervals.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Mid session intervals add depth to a match. So yes.

Yea, it helps strike a balance in a way. Also it gives the audience a chance to stretch their legs without having to miss any of the action.

Postby Smart

Casey wrote:

Yea, it helps strike a balance in a way. Also it gives the audience a chance to stretch their legs without having to miss any of the action.

and have a snake hiss or a bet or have a nice greasy bacon sandwich or a quick pint :wave:

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:
Casey wrote:

and have a snake hiss or a bet or have a nice greasy bacon sandwich or a quick pint :wave:

not to mention the ref have a snake hiss....

jesus their bladder is like beach balls when Rory playing <laugh>

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:
Casey wrote:

not to mention the ref have a snake hiss....

jesus their bladder is like beach balls when Rory playing <laugh>

Do I want to know how Wild found that out? :?

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:
Do I want to know how Wild found that out? :?

Maybe the same way I found out that Martin Gould doesn't wash his hand after taking a leak. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

I think the 6-0 vote says it all. Really don't see the need to get rid of them in best of nines.

Give the referees a chance for a break, and the fans a chance to nip out without having to hurry back for the start of the next frame. And from a fan perspective, I like the way it can swing a match.

We'll never know if Ben would've won 5-0 if there'd been no MSI of course, but I think it adds an extra challenge of having to keep momentum going after having a quick break.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:I think the 6-0 vote says it all. Really don't see the need to get rid of them in best of nines.

Give the referees a chance for a break, and the fans a chance to nip out without having to hurry back for the start of the next frame. And from a fan perspective, I like the way it can swing a match.

We'll never know if Ben would've won 5-0 if there'd been no MSI of course, but I think it adds an extra challenge of having to keep momentum going after having a quick break.

S/fan :hatoff:

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:I think the 6-0 vote says it all. Really don't see the need to get rid of them in best of nines.

:hatoff:

I personally from having refereed best of nine frame matches before that a Best of 7 frame match is the maximum that should not have an interval in. Personally I think that in different cases that an interval should come in when a player has reached a certain point - namely in a Best of 11 frame match, once a player reaches four then the interval should come in there.

Postby John From London Town

Proper intelligent discussion to have. Shame no one has stepped up. Probably because the people who commented have never been involved in a MSI?
It can change everything Wild, & you're right to spot it. Whether it should be changed or not is another thing. But the MSI is deffo an opportunity to change things. Bang on mate. Brave too.

Postby JIMO96

I think snooker is unique in that any movement in the crowd disturbs the competitors (unlike in football, tennis etc). As spectators in most sports have to move around during the event for refreshments, fresh air, toilet breaks etc, it has to be allowed in snooker as well.....you can't expect people to sit still for 9 frames(!)

I don't think it always has to come after 4 frames though. How about, in best of 9's, having an interval when someone wins 3 frames? That is, at 3-2 or 3-1 or even 3-0? That way, no player will be allowed to run away with a match too early, and the spectators will always be guaranteed 2 frames after it.

How about playing longer matches in a single sitting too? For example, best of 13's could reasonably be played, with an interval when someone reaches 4? This could be a format for a Chinese event to distinguish it from all the others?

I remember in the Mita World Masters in the early 90's, ALL matches were played in a single session, even though the first rounds were best of 11, rising to best of 13, 15, 17 and 19 for later rounds. I think they just had a 15min interval every 4 frames (might have even been 5). There was a Drago-Griffiths match as I recall that went 9-8 and they had 3 or 4 intervals, but it was all played out without the normal break in a best of 17.

Postby Wildey

i think Intervals Whether they Mid Session or even in a Longer Crucible match with 2,3 or 4 sessions Adds to the excitement of a match to me as a Fan.

Postby Smart

John From London Town wrote:Proper intelligent discussion to have. Shame no one has stepped up. Probably because the people who commented have never been involved in a MSI?
It can change everything Wild, & you're right to spot it. Whether it should be changed or not is another thing. But the MSI is deffo an opportunity to change things. Bang on mate. Brave too.

Have you ever played snooker before ???? I cannot recall you mentioning it. :wave:

Postby The Cueist

You need them,Mainly the players need them to regroup and take stock.
Winning or losing,Snooker isnt as easy as it is made to look at the top.

Postby SnookerFan

It's now up to 14 for Yes and 0 for No. Says it all. :hatoff:

Eurosport have been waffling on about Mid-Session Intervals being controversial all week. Good to see nobody is jumping on the bandwagon.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:It's now up to 14 for Yes and 0 for No. Says it all. :hatoff:

Eurosport have been waffling on about Mid-Session Intervals being controversial all week. Good to see nobody is jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm tempted to change my opinion just to create a stir, but wont on this occasion. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:

I'm tempted to change my opinion just to create a stir, but wont on this occasion. <ok>

If it goes from being 14 - 0 to 13 - 1, we'll not take it seriously now you've said that. Even if somebody does it, we'll accuse you.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:

If it goes from being 14 - 0 to 13 - 1, we'll not take it seriously now you've said that. Even if somebody does it, we'll accuse you.

rofl