Topic locked

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Think what you want about Ebdon's style but you have to take your hat off for what he has achieved this week. He was World No. 60 in the one year ranking list but out of absolutely nowhere he makes a run to the final of the China Open at the age of 41. Remember that Stephen Hendry made his last career ranking final at the age of 37.

:hatoff:

Edbdon 41 and we had Lee 37 win the last ranking event.

It's been a strange second half to the season, Lee has been the most consistent I guess. The rest up and down, Trump going through a lull, Higgins playing poorly, Robbo showed good in one event.

Then we have Maguire and Ronnie who have came back to form along with Allen winning his first ranker. I think we might see some shocks at the World's.

Nobody will want to draw Walden, Ebdon, Hendry and Higginson.

Postby Casey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
snooky147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
snooky147 wrote:Gamesmanship at its worst from Ebdon. Regularly taking 2 minutes plus on straightforward shots. I suppose it's to be expected from him though.

I disagree. I don't see anything that he did that was illegal. He played his own game. A game that he is well known for playing. Ding struggled to match Ebdon's intensity. Are we implying Ebdon should've played a game different to his natural game, to give Ding the best chance of winning?

No, Not at all, But I am of the mindset that he knew exactly what he was doing, and that was to put his opponent off through slow play. Some of the shots he took time on were so simple that any half decent amateur would have played them well in a tenth of the time. In my mind it's borderline cheating, I have always held that view on him when he gets like this, and that is really the point. He doesn't do it as bad all the time so it's all the more apparent that when he does do it it is just timewasting and gamesmanship, pure and simple.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Ding, Robbo and Higgins have to blame themselves that Ebdon was dictating the pace. Peter rarely made a mistake in the safety department and punished them with heavy scoring every time he was in. Ebdon was too strong for them ...

He was also might slow though, hard to get into a rhythm. That being said though, this week means so much for him so I can understand somewhat.

Postby Skullman

Ebdon's safety is extremely good. If he doesn't leave chances, Maguire can't change the pace of the game. Plus Peter's having better run. In again in the fifth frame. How embarassing would it be if Maguire lost 10-1 to Ebdon?

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:Am I the only person who isn't enjoying this too much?

I quite enjoyed yesterday's Ding vs Ebdon match. I think Ding going 3-1, then Ebdon grinding him down provided drama. But this just seems a bit :zzz:

Well Maguire is in now, so it should pick up if he makes a few big breaks.

Postby Wildey

This Run was essential for Ebdon the first cut off at the start of next season he has roughly 9,000 points to defend with his Run to the semi final of the World Open....

even losing today wont relieve the pressure on him but it helps in his quest to stay in the top 32.

Postby SnookerFan

Maguire looks like he can't be bothered, don't he?

A thought has just struck me. People always complain about Ebdon being boring, but the fact is Maguire hasn't looked that up for this in the last frame or so. Is he letter Peter Ebdon's reputation get the better of him?

This match would be far mor interesting if Ebdon was playing a player who liked big breaks, and was trying to make them to throw Ebdon out of his rhythm. Might make an interesting battle.

Is it Ebdon that makes games boring, or his opponent? :chin:

Postby Roland

I think Maguire is still trying but his rhythm has been smashed to pieces. It puts a lot of pressure when you get a chance because you're cold and you know if you miss it's going to be ages before your next chance.

Postby Wildey

Reason Ebdon has a Good Win/Lose % in Finals in recent years....When he reaches Finals he tries that littlebit Harder and it will take someone to block out his Game play to win.

in the 2006 World Final Dott did just that and Matched him shot for shot Grind for Grind the other Option is to do what Hendry used to and Just Blast him off the table Todays players for whatever reason unable to do that.

another interesting point The comentators been saying the Tables in the China Open is Better and Conditions Better than the World open but Standard of play in the World Open was far Better.

Postby Skullman

Ebdon taking a toilet break. Could be the fibre in that vegan diet. :chin:

Love the sceptical look on Mags's face when he heard that. I don't think he believes Ebdon really needs the toilet, and I don't either.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon has gone for a snake hiss. Place your bets on how long he'll take.

hahaha the interval was only 30 minutes ago he has a week bladder or there was a lot of people at the bogs.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If he wants the ranking title he's going to have to give it everything he's got. He'll be totally drained afterwards if he manages it.

seriously if players are complaigning about Robbo or Selby being slow it just highlights how unprepared they really are when it comes to the likes of Ebdon playing.

Postby Skullman

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:If he wants the ranking title he's going to have to give it everything he's got. He'll be totally drained afterwards if he manages it.

seriously if players are complaigning about Robbo or Selby being slow it just highlights how unprepared they really are when it comes to the likes of Ebdon playing.

Mark Allen vs Ebdon. rofl