Topic locked

Bank Of Beijing China Open Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Wildey

Monday 26th of March - Sunday 1st of April at the Beijing Student University Stadium, China

So its Stephen Maguire vs Peter Ebdon for the China Open Crown.

Last Ranking Tournament either won was the China Open Maguire in 2008 and Ebdon in 2009.

Who will Win this year ?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Image Image

Re: Bank Of Beijing China Open Final Discussion!!!!

Postby Skullman

Conflicted. Went with Mags to win in predicts and think he deserves a victory. But would love to see Ebdon win and get into the Pl rofl.

Maguire should be able to power past Ebdon, but he has ground down Robbo and Ding, so it wouldn't be easy for Stephen.

Postby SnookerFan

Hard one to call.

A somewhat random thought has just occured to me. I remember when Peter Ebdon played Graeme Dott in the 2006 World Championship final. I was on the BBC website and they said most people at the start of this tournament wouldn't have picked this as the final. I remember thinking at the time that considering Ebdon had been winner 4 years earlier, and Dott runner up 2 years earlier, they were making out it was a bigger shock than it was.

But on reconsidering, I saw that they were probably correct. Most people wouldn't have predicted that to be the final. Same here. Before the tournament had started who would've guessed that Maguire or Ebdon would've made the final? Maguire maybe, as he just made the final in Germany, but not Ebdon who hasn't been on form that much recently.

I think this is what makes snooker so interesting. Two players in the final who have won several tournaments each, and I am surprised to see either of them in the final. Such strength in depth this sport has.

Postby Smart

a final to get up late for.......to take a passing interest in, no more, no less. CANT BE fussed :wave:

Ebbo is grinding results, very poor entertainment, very bad advert. I suppose he has bills to pay and needs must, but its marmite in a word. <ok>

Has Ebbo lost big gambling again :chin:

Postby Wildey

Smart wrote:a final to get up late for.......to take a passing interest in, no more, no less. CANT BE fussed :wave:

Ebbo is grinding results, very poor entertainment, very bad advert. I suppose he has bills to pay and needs must, but its marmite in a word. <ok>

to be honest mate that what snooker is all about winning best way they can....i honestly have more pleasure and entertainment watching that than i do watching century after century.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:
Smart wrote:a final to get up late for.......to take a passing interest in, no more, no less. CANT BE fussed :wave:

to be honest mate that what snooker is all about winning best way they can....i honestly have more pleasure and entertainment watching that than i do watching century after century.

each to their own, personally I wanna be entertained and Ebbo is anti-entertainment in the main. The pink was the exception to the rule, and that is always a possibility with him. <ok>

Postby randam05

I enjoyed that match greatly this morning between ding and ebdon.

Theres just something so fascinating about watching that man. Fantastic win from 3-1 down. Okay he didnt blow is opponent away, but he made some great breaks and important shots under pressure. That blue, pink and black clearance was class. Such bottle and very attacking.

Would love to see him take the title. Its not beyond doubt.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker hatah! :grrr:

Postby Wildey

snooky147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
snooky147 wrote:Gamesmanship at its worst from Ebdon. Regularly taking 2 minutes plus on straightforward shots. I suppose it's to be expected from him though.

I disagree. I don't see anything that he did that was illegal. He played his own game. A game that he is well known for playing. Ding struggled to match Ebdon's intensity. Are we implying Ebdon should've played a game different to his natural game, to give Ding the best chance of winning?

No, Not at all, But I am of the mindset that he knew exactly what he was doing, and that was to put his opponent off through slow play. Some of the shots he took time on were so simple that any half decent amateur would have played them well in a tenth of the time. In my mind it's borderline cheating, I have always held that view on him when he gets like this, and that is really the point. He doesn't do it as bad all the time so it's all the more apparent that when he does do it it is just timewasting and gamesmanship, pure and simple.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

but i really enjoy all that.

its entertaining watching ebdon think long and hard over a simple shot.

nothing better in sport than contrasting styles against each other and when Ebdon plays Ding it ticks all the boxes for me but Ebdon v McLeod will be a bit Dull.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Think what you want about Ebdon's style but you have to take your hat off for what he has achieved this week. He was World No. 60 in the one year ranking list but out of absolutely nowhere he makes a run to the final of the China Open at the age of 41. Remember that Stephen Hendry made his last career ranking final at the age of 37.

:hatoff:

Postby jojo

i dont mind ebdons style of play because of the contrasting styles but he is dirty

the shenanigans against hendry when he was caught just standing in the toilet in between frames also against cope when he fell to the floor

he knew he was untouchable as a wpbsa board member who effectively employer of the referee

i think his gameplan tomorrow will be to keep things very tight and deliberately slow down play to frustrate maguire who likely to lash out

Postby Snooker Overdrive

snooky147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
snooky147 wrote:Gamesmanship at its worst from Ebdon. Regularly taking 2 minutes plus on straightforward shots. I suppose it's to be expected from him though.

I disagree. I don't see anything that he did that was illegal. He played his own game. A game that he is well known for playing. Ding struggled to match Ebdon's intensity. Are we implying Ebdon should've played a game different to his natural game, to give Ding the best chance of winning?

No, Not at all, But I am of the mindset that he knew exactly what he was doing, and that was to put his opponent off through slow play. Some of the shots he took time on were so simple that any half decent amateur would have played them well in a tenth of the time. In my mind it's borderline cheating, I have always held that view on him when he gets like this, and that is really the point. He doesn't do it as bad all the time so it's all the more apparent that when he does do it it is just timewasting and gamesmanship, pure and simple.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
All views expressed are my own and not that of any player.

Ding, Robbo and Higgins have to blame themselves that Ebdon was dictating the pace. Peter rarely made a mistake in the safety department and punished them with heavy scoring every time he was in. Ebdon was too strong for them ...

Postby nice_shoes_ken

A final nobody predicted, and a final I probably won't bothering watching. Nobody would of said Maguire would get to the final, think only one may of said it, and certaintly nobody would of thought Ebdon would make the final either.

I hope Maguire does a demolition job on Ebdon, for people willing to sit through an Ebdon victory must be bonkers.

Not a final I hoped for at all, a yawn actually comes to mind.

Postby SnookerFan

jojo wrote:i dont mind ebdons style of play because of the contrasting styles but he is dirty

the shenanigans against hendry when he was caught just standing in the toilet in between frames also against cope when he fell to the floor

he knew he was untouchable as a wpbsa board member who effectively employer of the referee

i think his gameplan tomorrow will be to keep things very tight and deliberately slow down play to frustrate maguire who likely to lash out

Yeah, by headbutting him.