Topic locked

Re: PTC Grand Finals Last 16 Discussion !!!!

Postby jojo

ronnie keep pulling out devalues these tournaments because he a top player id rather a lesser player keep pulling out

when he needed to turn it on he won the german open and reached the semi final of the next keeps his top sixteen place then disappears until the world championship

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:ronnie keep pulling out devalues these tournaments because he a top player id rather a lesser player keep pulling out

when he needed to turn it on he won the german open and reached the semi final of the next keeps his top sixteen place then disappears until the world championship

Ronnie pulling out shouldn't be as big a surprise as it is. It's not like it's the first time. Plus if he's really ill, he shouldn't be playing anyway.

Postby Skullman

Pretty impressive play from Judd, only the difficult red on the cushion for Judd wants to force the respot. Or he can just try and get a snooker.

Postby Sickpotter

The Cueist wrote:Ronnie,Please get well soon mate. <ok>

I don't doubt the validity of Ronnie's illness,He knows the position he is in the rankings and all that goes with that.He doesnt feel able to play so that is that.

At the end of the day his health and wellbeing are of paramount importance to him,It's his call and nobody else's as he knows himself better than anyone else.

A question for wild,Do you go into work when your not well?

And another while we are at it wild.Would you retire from your occupation after you have recovered from an illness?

Given Ronnie's history of pulling out of events with "health issues" one can't blame fans for doubting the truth of it. It's particularly difficult to sell fans on an illness like depression as many haven't experienced how crippling it can be.

You're correct, it is Ronnie's call and if he's seriously ill then I agree with his pulling out and hope he recovers.

BUT............

The super short notice he gave this time is unprofessional and that kind of thing has a very negative impact on the game. When a player is a big draw and gets splashed on the front of a tournament poster, last minute withdrawl seriously impacts future sponsorship.

At some point sponsors will stop asking if Ronnie's coming because no matter what answer they get there's no certainty. At that point the sponsors will either find another player to trumpet (no pun intended but I actually do see Trump as the most logical replacement) or they'll look to sponsor some other sport.

It is quite valid to suggest that if Ronnie is no longer able to play as a full time pro (for whatever reason) he should consider retirement. Part time pros aren't viable sponsor draws, more like liabilities.

Comparing Paul Hunter and his ability to play through the pain to other players and their medical issues..........

Paul Hunter was an exceptional human being and had a tremendous love for the game and it's fans. That he was able to continue playing even while horribly ill was incredible and IMO that's a very unfair benchmark to hold others to with regards to playing through illness. Paul was one in a million, highly unlikely the vast majority of humans would or even could continue on with their daily lives dealing with a terminal illness.

IMO a simple solution to quell the whispers of a player faking illness would be for the WPBSA to have their own doctor in charge of vetting any medical withdrawl. I'm not sure how the medical profession works in the UK but if the WPBSA were to provide the players with doctors and foot the bill, the concept of giving up your own doctor might be more palatable.

Postby jojo

since winning the uk and getting taught a lesson by robertson in matchplay snooker in the masters semi judd has done nothing in four tournaments when he acted like he rule the snooker world

Postby Skullman

jojo wrote:since winning the uk and getting taught a lesson by robertson in matchplay snooker in the masters semi judd has done nothing in four tournaments when he acted like he rule the snooker world

He is an arrogant git isn't he? <laugh> :baby:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Well it's incredible what happened today. Ronnie pulling out last minute, Trump losing again ...

I might have to reconsider my favourites for the WC ... Judd can't be the favourite anymore after the last couple of tournaments also (assuming he's not faking it) Ronnie's health problems reduce his chances of winning the Worlds ...

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well it's incredible what happened today. Ronnie pulling out last minute, Trump losing again ...

I might have to reconsider my favourites for the WC ... Judd can't be the favourite anymore after the last couple of tournaments also (assuming he's not faking it) Ronnie's health problems reduce his chances of winning the Worlds ...

:shrug: With Judd he could have another great run in Beijing and then do well in the Worlds again. Remember this time last he still that kid who hadn't reached his potential and look where he ended up.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 wrote:
Monique wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I don't know if he's really sick or not but this smells like a last minute excuse.

He is really sick but it was poor thinking/poor form to leave his decision to withdraw that late. He should have done it a lot earlier, even if he thought there was a chance for him to feel fit enough come today, so that the WSA and the broadcasters had the opportunity to re-arrange the schedule and/or provide some diversion. It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't a one table setup, but it is, and it's a real shame.

Also I heard that from the World Open on no points are awarded to players pulling out, even for medical reasons (*). So that puts things in another light as the struggle for his top 16 spot next season is still very much on.

(*) players with serious long term conditions can apply for an exception but that's a separate procedure with no guarantee to get it.

Agree, Ronnie should have informed World Snooker a lot earlier of this... he did the exact same thing in the German Masters last year... and I thought it would be too risky to put Ronnie on the cover of the anouncment for this tourney, and, once again, he proved me right....

He will pull out of the China Open I´m sure.. and then the Worlds he might attend it.. but like Wild said, if he pulls out of the Worlds then it´s about time he quits the sport for good

No way he will pull out of the Worlds - nothing will stop him from being there, I can guarantee you that.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well it's incredible what happened today. Ronnie pulling out last minute, Trump losing again ...

:shrug: With Judd he could have another great run in Beijing and then do well in the Worlds again. Remember this time last he still that kid who hadn't reached his potential and look where he ended up.

It's all very different this season. He's UK Champion, the "man to beat" and he expects a lot from himself this season. It's very hard to get to the top but it's even harder to stay there. Trump is experiencing the first serious setbacks since getting to the top and he has to learn now how to deal with it.

Postby Skullman

Well with Judd's elimination, it will be a good chance for some of the lower ranked players in his quarter to have a good run and get some ranking points. Maybe even their first title?

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

It's all very different this season. He's UK Champion, the "man to beat" and he expects a lot from himself this season. It's very hard to get to the top but it's even harder to stay there. Trump is experiencing the first serious setbacks since getting to the top and he has to learn now how to deal with it.

My personal take on it is that he's become a bit too complacent and forgotten how good the other players are, and is surprised when they can beat him. He could end up being another Maguire: a good player who some said would dominate the game, but in the end underachieves.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:

My personal take on it is that he's become a bit too complacent and forgotten how good the other players are, and is surprised when they can beat him. He could end up being another Maguire: a good player who some said would dominate the game, but in the end underachieves.

Better leave Maguire out of it, Judd is 9 years younger than Stephen and achieved almost the same by now.

If you want to compare him with someone Ding would be the obvious choice.

Postby Skullman

Yeah but if Judd does nothing much over the next few years, Maguire would be the perfect comparison. In 2004 people(or maybe just Ronnie <laugh>) were saying that he could dominate for the next few years. Looked what happened there.

Postby Skullman

Actually a quick check of Wikipedia shows a remarkable similarity. Maguire won a event (European Open 9-3 against Jimmy White), then lost to Higgins in a final and won the UK that year. Then a barren patch. Hopefully this doesn't happen to Judd, but if it does I think Maguire would be a good comparison.

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:robbo now fav IMO

Selby? Who know maybe we'll finally get that Robbo-Selby final. <cool>

But it'll just be a best of 7. :-(

Edit: Plus Robbo could potentially play Maguire, who seems to be playing well.
Last edited by Skullman on 16 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

The stories going around on twitter atm is that Ronnie was actually on the plane but wasn't allowed to sit next to his mate so he went home.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:Actually a quick check of Wikipedia shows a remarkable similarity. Maguire won a event (European Open 9-3 against Jimmy White), then lost to Higgins in a final and won the UK that year. Then a barren patch. Hopefully this doesn't happen to Judd, but if it does I think Maguire would be a good comparison.

Trump will turn it around maybe not this season but he certainly is the future of snooker.

Postby Skullman

Sonny wrote:The stories going around on twitter atm is that Ronnie was actually on the plane but wasn't allowed to sit next to his mate so he went home.

Is that it? :irk: Hope Ronnie doesn't get any ranking points for this then.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:The stories going around on twitter atm is that Ronnie was actually on the plane but wasn't allowed to sit next to his mate so he went home.

ronnie :grrr: