Post a reply

Being their father's son ...

Postby Monique

A lot of noise has been made around Greg Davis entering the Q-school... latest article in the press being this one http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... Steve.html

It's inevitable probably, but I'm not sure it does the young lad any favour. It's putting pressure on him even before he even starts and people will always tend to compare him to his illustrious father rather than judge him objectively on his own merits. Same as Axel Merckx who was a decent rider but was always compared to his father Eddy, the cycling GOAT and never came even close to him.

Re: Being their father's son ...

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:A lot of noise has been made around Greg Davis entering the Q-school... latest article in the press being this one http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... Steve.html

It's inevitable probably, but I'm not sure it does the young lad any favour. It's putting pressure on him even before he even starts and people will always tend to compare him to his illustrious father rather than judge him objectively on his own merits. Same as Axel Merckx who was a decent rider but was always compared to his father Eddy, the cycling GOAT and never came even close to him.

I saw somebody discussing this on another snooker forum earlier this week. Somebody made the point that there are many young people trying to make it through Q-School, who people haven't heard of or don't give a stuff about because they aren't the son of Steve Davis.

Always going to be the way, in any industry, if a child follows a hugely successful parent. It's expanded somewhat in the fields of entertainment or sport if their parent is a mega-star or legend. The same thing is happening in boxing with Chris Eubank Jr. who has had two fights, but is coming with certain hype based on being his father's son.

As you say there are drawback with giving the lad that sort of attention and pressure. Even if he does suceed, he's going to get sick of talking about his dad the whole time. But if he's determined, he could make a positive out of it. Straight off the bat, he's going to have a father who is still on the main tour with which to practice. And of course, there are going to be many doors this is going to open for him further into his career, should he make it.

Good luck to the boy.

Postby SnookerFan

Talking of kids of legends, what is happening with Blaine Hendry? I've not heard about him for a while.

Knowing me he's just won some under-17 tournament which is big news that I've missed. :-D

Postby Witz78

Being a 2nd generation star certainly didnt hinder the Pride of South Africa, Peter Francisco. Like his dad Mannie and uncle Silvino he personified class and style on and off the table. Political correctness to blame for the demise of the Franciscos, Knowles, Kirk Stevens etc. Snookers never recovered from selling its soul of being a working class mans game down the river.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Being a 2nd generation star certainly didnt hinder the Pride of South Africa, Peter Francisco. Like his dad Mannie and uncle Silvino he personified class and style on and off the table. Political correctness to blame for the demise of the Franciscos, Knowles, Kirk Stevens etc. Snookers never recovered from selling its soul of being a working class mans game down the river.

are you on something ?

buck me in the 80s Peter Francisco was a pro before he was hyped or compered to his family members.

today its different Greg is not that good a player 4-0 and 4-1 is the scores he loses by ..now putting this stupid amount of publicity his way before he even reaches the required standards will hinder him big style.

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:Talking of kids of legends, what is happening with Blaine Hendry? I've not heard about him for a while.

Knowing me he's just won some under-17 tournament which is big news that I've missed. :-D

He is still young, but expect him to be entering PTC's in a few years.

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Talking of kids of legends, what is happening with Blaine Hendry? I've not heard about him for a while.

He is still young, but expect him to be entering PTC's in a few years.

Maybe Davis Jr. vs Hendry Jr. could be a rivalry in years to come. :D

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:I have heard that Matthew's Stevens son is showing very good signs already....

hmmmm the Stevens family might produce a champion after all <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

kostasmad wrote:I have heard that Matthew's Stevens son is showing very good signs already....

Is his name Steven? If it's not, it should be.

Postby Skullman

What does that mean though? It could just mean he was following in his dad's footsteps and bottled a match from miles ahead. rofl

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

Is his name Steven? If it's not, it should be.

no its Kirk :irk:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Being a 2nd generation star certainly didnt hinder the Pride of South Africa, Peter Francisco. Like his dad Mannie and uncle Silvino he personified class and style on and off the table. Political correctness to blame for the demise of the Franciscos, Knowles, Kirk Stevens etc. Snookers never recovered from selling its soul of being a working class mans game down the river.

are you on something ?

buck me in the 80s Peter Francisco was a pro before he was hyped or compered to his family members.

today its different Greg is not that good a player 4-0 and 4-1 is the scores he loses by ..now putting this stupid amount of publicity his way before he even reaches the required standards will hinder him big style.

i presume you werent a fan of the Francisco Dynasty. The Cape Town conveyor belt of snooker talent that served the game so well :bowdown:

Postby The Cueist

:D Long time no see silvino old been. :D :D :D :D Tipping my bookies cavalry at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D ;-)

Steve Davis's son will no doubt break out an d learn how to win,No matter how much talent you have, gotta know how to use it AND NOT GET INHIBITED THROUGH THE FEAR OF FAILURE.

Having a famous highly successful snooker player as your father must be A BIT LIKE A MILLSTONE ROUND YOUR NECK when your losing. ;-)

Postby The Cueist

Monique wrote:A lot of noise has been made around Greg Davis entering the Q-school... latest article in the press being this one http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... Steve.html

Mon <ok> Good point,Botham's son in another field of sport was affected in different way's by his high profile father and countless other's.

In snooker is it even more under the microscope,I suspect yes and must be a hell of a weight to carry when results are not favourable.

Rock and a hard place cliche' springs to mind.

Need to get off their back's ands let them breathe and develop into who they are gonna be. ;-)