Post a reply

EBSA European Under 21's Championship 2012

Postby roy142857

EBSA have announced that the 2012 European Under 21’s Snooker Championships will be held from 6th - 10th March in Sofia, Bulgaria. Same venue as the senior championship last year I think - the Dedeman Hotel - hoping like that championship we might get streaming.

Each association can enter up to 4 players, closing date for entries is 5th February.

Re: EBSA European Under 21's Championship 2012

Postby John From London Town

I'll be interested to see who's entered in this from over here (Ireland).
There is a 16 year old kid over here called Josh Boileau & he is incredibly good. He won't practice for some reason yet in the comp I played in on Saturday, his first match he hits a 102c on tables where the pockets are as tight as a ducks backside. People are trying to take him under their wing but he ain't having any of it.
Believe me, he is a quality player & if he’s ever playing when I’m around I’m always watching him play.

Postby roy142857

John From London Town wrote:I'll be interested to see who's entered in this from over here (Ireland).
There is a 16 year old kid over here called Josh Boileau & he is incredibly good. He won't practice for some reason yet in the comp I played in on Saturday, his first match he hits a 102c on tables where the pockets are as tight as a ducks backside. People are trying to take him under their wing but he ain't having any of it.
Believe me, he is a quality player & if he’s ever playing when I’m around I’m always watching him play.

Hi John

He certainly had a very good November - I saw he'd won the under 18's national championship and the second event of the Irish under 21's tour (beat David Cassidy 3-1) - so I'd think he'd have a good chance of being picked, he's tied for first on the rankings with event 1 winner Karl Fitzpatrick, with Cassidy and Ryan Cronin just behind - if they picked those four they'd certainly be well represented.

Cheers

Roy

roy142857 wrote:
John From London Town wrote:I'll be interested to see who's entered in this from over here (Ireland).

Hi John

He certainly had a very good November - I saw he'd won the under 18's national championship and the second event of the Irish under 21's tour (beat David Cassidy 3-1) - so I'd think he'd have a good chance of being picked, he's tied for first on the rankings with event 1 winner Karl Fitzpatrick, with Cassidy and Ryan Cronin just behind - if they picked those four they'd certainly be well represented.

Cheers

Roy

On The Ball :hatoff:

Postby roy142857

Confirmation of who they might pick from RIBSA "The top four players available on the RIBSA Under 21 ranking list will qualify ... All players must confirm this weekend if they are available." They're supposed to let the tournament director know this weekend at the President's Cup competition, maybe you could remind them?

(RIBSA seem really well organised on this kind of thing)

Good that they're planning to fill all the places available to them.

(And good luck yourself this weekend, I see you're one step away from a clash with last years European Championship finalist Vince Muldoon ...)

roy142857 wrote:Confirmation of who they might pick from RIBSA "The top four players available on the RIBSA Under 21 ranking list will qualify ... All players must confirm this weekend if they are available." They're supposed to let the tournament director know this weekend at the President's Cup competition, maybe you could remind them?

(RIBSA seem really well organised on this kind of thing)

Good that they're planning to fill all the places available to them.

(And good luck yourself this weekend, I see you're one step away from a clash with last years European Championship finalist Vince Muldoon ...)

Yeah, RIBSA are bang involved.

As for the draw, somebody's been looking. ;-)
My car broke down last night, I'm using the Mrs at the moment & I wouldn't even dream of asking for the car to drive down to Carlow to play Snooker, leaving her stranded. We live in the middle of nowhere so a car is a must. I'll be down later seeing the mechanic & if the car ain't back on the road, I won't be playing. So I'll have to make one of them phone calls to RIBSA that they don't like receiving. If it is, then yip, I'll be there. :-)

Thanks Roy.

I've just checked to see how the comp is going that I was supposed to play in today. I notice Josh Boileau has already knocked in a 131 in his first match. I wonder how long it will take for someone with influence in the game to realise what a bundle of talent this 16 year old kid really is?
And follows that up with a 90 in his second match.

Postby roy142857

British Isles players entered so far:

Ireland have entered Karl Fitzpatrick, Josh Boileau, Ryan Cronin and David Cassidy.

Scotland have entered Scott Donaldson, Eden Sharav, Ross Muir and Michael Leslie.

And the Isle of Man have entered Darryl HIll.

Welsh European Under 21's qualifiers

Postby roy142857

Welsh Snooker have run their qualifying competition for EBSA European Under 21's Championships, which was won by Jamie Clarke

:win:

- this moved him to the top of the rankings for the Welsh Junior tour too.

Welsh Snooker enter and pay expenses for the event winner and the next highest ranked player, and then offer the next two players places, but those players have to pay their own expenses. The Welsh site says that Clarke and Travis Furnish, who is second in the rankings, are going 'expenses paid', and that the other entries will be 3rd placed Duane Jones and fourth placed Edward Topham. However, the EBSA website says the Welsh entries are Jamie Clarke, Duane Jones, Edward Topham and Dale Lawrence (5th ranked player). I can only assume that Furnish turned down the place, don't know if this means they will pay expenses for Duane Jones.

Results:

Travis Furnish 3-2 Daniel Norris
Edward Topham (107) 3-1 Dale Lawrence
Jamie Clarke 3-1 Kristian Phelps
Duane Jones 3-0 Suraj Singh

Edward Topham 3-2 Travis Furnish
Jamie Clarke 3-1 Duane Jones

Jamie Clarke 3-1 Edward Topham

Postby roy142857

Other entries:

England have entered the top 4 in the rankings of the Premier Junior Tour, Shane Castle, Sam Harvey, Elliot Slessor and Joel Walker

Northern Ireland have entered Declan Brennan.

Last year was ALMOST dominated by players from the British Isles - all bar one of the quarter finalists - but the winner was of course Poland's Kacper Filipiak (Harvey and Scotland's Eden Sharav both lost by 1 frame, before Filipiak beat Scotland's Michael Leslie 6-3 in the final).

Adam Stefanov, who reached the last 16 last year, isn't one of the four Polish entries (he's aged 18), despite his recent tournament success on the senior Polish National Tour.

Shachar Ruberg from Israel is back again following his reaching the last 16 in 2011.

The youngest entry - by far - is the nine year old French boy Nicolas Mortreux.

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:Other entries:

England have entered the top 4 in the rankings of the Premier Junior Tour, Shane Castle, Sam Harvey, Elliot Slessor and Joel Walker

Last year was ALMOST dominated by players from the British Isles - all bar one of the quarter finalists - but the winner was of course Poland's Kacper Filipiak (Harvey and Scotland's Eden Sharav both lost by 1 frame, before Filipiak beat Scotland's Michael Leslie 6-3 in the final).

Adam Stefanov, who reached the last 16 last year, isn't one of the four Polish entries (he's aged 18), despite his recent tournament success on the senior Polish National Tour.

Shachar Ruberg from Israel is back again following his reaching the last 16 in 2011.

The youngest entry - by far - is the nine year old French boy Nicolas Mortreux.

Adam Stefanov had now been entered as a fifth Polish player, Romania and Malta also now have five players.

From my count, 23 of the 75 players are under 16s, I think the only girl is Yana Shut from Belarus.

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:Looking at the EBSA website, it appears there will be live streaming of 3 tables when this kicks off tomorrow ... hoping so, but won't be able to check it out as traveling to a funeral tomorrow.

Ha! Forgot the first day is formalities not play, so haven't missed anything ... and it's confirmed that 3 tables will be streamed live ... see here for more detail :

http://ebsa.tv/news/?p=513

Postby roy142857

Some selected scores below, mainly players from the British Isles:

Group A
Sam Harvey (Eng) 3 – 0 Pawel Leyk (Ger)

Group C
Adam Stefanów (Pol) 3 – 0 Tin Venos (Cro)
Elliot Slessor (Eng) 3 – 0 Belan Sharif (Swe)

Group D
Shane Castle (Eng) 3 – 0 Toma Tomov (Bul)
Andreas Ploner (Aut) 3 – 2 Alexander Ursenbacher (Swi)

Group E
Eden Sharav (Sco) 3 – 0 Aaron Busuttil (Mlt)
David Cassidy (Ire) 3 – 0 Daniel Kohout (Cze)

Group F
Scott Donaldson (Sco) 3 – 1 Olli-Pekka Virho (Fin)

Group G
Ross Muir (Sco) 3 – 0 Alexander Kanchev (Bul)
Grzegorz Biernadski (Pol) 3 – 1 Rodions Judins (Lat)

Group H
Michael Leslie (Sco) 3 – 0 Vergil Mavrodiev (Bul)
Darryl Hill (IOM) 3 – 0 Jurian Heusdens (Bel)

Group J
Jamie Clarke (Wal) 3 – 2 Josh Boileau (Ire)

Group L
Declan Brennan (Nir) 3 – 1 Mikita Strokin (Blr)
Michał Zieliński (Pol) 3 – 0 Marvin Losi (Swi)
Nicky Godeyne (Bel) 3 - 0 Edward Topham (Wal)

Group M
Karl Fitzpatrick (Ire) 3 – 1 Mario Amza (Rom)
Dale Lawrence (Wal) 3 – 0 Markus Pfistermüller (Aut)

Postby roy142857

... and a selection of scores from the rest of the day ...

Group A
Sam Harvey (Eng) 3 – 2 Dominik Scherübl (Aut)
Ryan Cronin (Ire) 3 – 2 Pawel Leyk (Ger)
Sam Harvey (Eng) w/o Denislav Popov (Bul)
Ryan Cronin (Ire) 3 – 0 Dominik Scherübl (Aut)

Group B
Joel Walker (Wal) 3 – 0 Alexander Gauss (Aut)
Nicolas Mortreux (Fra) (AGE 9!) 3 – 0 Ivan Kakovsky (Rus) (he’s only 12 ...)
Joel Walker (Wal) 3 – 0 Georgi Velichkov (Bul)

Group C
Elliot Slessor (Eng) 3 – 1 Adam Stefanów (Pol)
Elliot Slessor (Eng) 3 – 0 Teodor Chomovski
Brian Cini (Mlt) 3 – 2 Adam Stefanów (Pol)
Group D
Shane Castle (Eng) 3 – 0 Alexis Callewaert (Fra)
Shane Castle (Eng) 3 – 2 Andreas Ploner (Aut)

Group E
David Cassidy (Ire) 3 – 0 Daniel Kohout
Eden Sharav (Sco) 3 – 0 Ivailo Pekov (Bul)
David Cassidy (Ire) 3 – 1 Aaron Busuttil

Group F
Scott Donaldson (Sco) 3 – 1 Olli-Pekka Virho
Scott Donaldson (Sco) 3 – 1 Matthew Calleja (Mlt)

Group G
Ross Muir (Sco) 3 – 0 Alexander Kanchev (Bul)
Ross Muir (Sco) 3 – 1 Michael Betzinger (Ger)

Group H
Michael Leslie (Sco) 3 – 1 Darryl Hill (IOM)

Group J
Josh Boileau (Ire) 3 – 0 Vladu Mihai (Rom)
Jamie Clarke (Wal) 3 – 0 Wayne Pace (Mlt)

Group K
Duane Jones (Wal) 3 – 2 Karol Szuba-Jabłoński (Pol)
Duane Jones (Wal) 3 – 0 Nathanaël Beckrich (Fra)

Group L
Declan Brennan (NIR) 3 – 1 Mikita Strokin (Blr)
Michal Zielinski (Pol) 3 – 1 Edward Topham (Wal)
Declan Brennan (NIR) 3 – 1 Marvin Losi (Swi)

Group M
Dale Lawrence (Wal) 3 – 0 Markus Pfistermüller (Aut)
Vladyslav Vyshnevskyy (Ukr) 3 – 1 Siarhei Melnichonak (Blr)
Dale Lawrence (Wal) 3 – 0 Mario Amza (Rom)
Vladyslav Vyshnevskyy (Ukr) 3 – 0 Karl Fitzpatrick (Ire)

Postby Roland

Having seen at first hand Shane Castle, Sam Harvey, Ross Muir, Eden Sharav and Elliot Slessor I'm not surprised to see them all winning and wouldn't be surprised if one of them wins it. Of those I would have to plump for Harvey.

Postby Witz78

roy142857 wrote:Other entries:

The youngest entry - by far - is the nine year old French boy Nicolas Mortreux

be awesome if this NINE year old got onto the main tour just to see Moniques reaction rofl

Postby roy142857

John From London Town wrote:I see Josh got beat against Jamie Clarke from Wales 3-2 but has won his next 2 match's 3 zip. If he plays like I know he can, he'll be at the business end of this comp.

Josh's match against Lukas Kleckers is due to be streamed live from 2pm our time on Table 8

Postby roy142857

I believe that from the 12 groups 48 players will qualify for the knock out stages, so (just as a guess) I think it must be top four from each group get through.

A quick round up of groups A and B:

Group A
Ryan Cronin, Sam Harvey and Vilius Schulte (Lithuania) all unbeaten after 3 matches. (Cronin v Schulte is on live streaming at 8am our time tomorrow). Dominik Scherübl of Austria has only one win in 3 matches, but losses were to Cronin and Harvey, so looking a fair chance to go through.

Group B
Joel Walker and Mateusz Baranowski of Poland unbeaten after 4 and 3 matches respectively and are due to meet tomorrow morning at 10 am. Alexander Gauss of Austria has two wins, Jaroslav Tichý (Cze), 9 year old Nicolas Mortreux (Fra) and Bulgaria's Georgi Velichkov each have a win each, but as Velichkov's losses have come against Walker and Baranowski, he's in the strongest position. Velichkov plays Gauss tomorrow at 8 am on table 9 (hopefully live streaming for table 9 will be back by then).

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:Wales' Dale Lawrence and Ireland's Karl Fitzpatrick are currently tied at two all - decider hopefully coming up soon on live streaming - seems to be off air at the moment

Lawrence won 3 - 2

Jamie Clarke beat Romania's Vladu Mihai 3 - 0 this morning.

Nice win for Edward Topham of Wales 3 - 0 against Switzerland's Marvin Losi, and Declan Brennan of Northern Ireland beat Nicky Godeyne of Belgium, yesterdays surprise winner against Topham, 3 - 0.

Also 3 - 0 wins for Michael Leslie against Germany's Simon Lichtenberg and Ross Muir against Rodions Judins of Latvia

Postby roy142857

Group C
A 'pecking order' seems to have established itself amongst the 4 leading players, with Elliot Slessor beating Malta's Brian Cini and Poland's Adam Stefanów, and Cini beating Stefanów. Don't discount Stefanov from the competition, he was competitive in both losses. Belan Sharif (Sweden) and Tin Venos (Croatia) have two wins each, but Sharif beat Venos 3 - 0 and his losses have come against Slessor, Cini and Stefanov.

Group D
Shane Castle beat Andreas Ploner of Austria 3 - 2, who in turn beat Switzerland's Alexander Ursenbacher 3 - 2. Ursenbacher plays Castle tomorrow at 9.30 am our time in what looks like it should be a close contest. Alexis Callewaert (France) and Alvyn Depoorter (Belgium) both have a win each, but Callewaert's 3 - 2 win over Depoorter make him likely for 4th.

Postby roy142857

Group G
Grzegorz Biernadski of Poland is unbeaten after 4 matches, thanks to his 3 - 2 defeat of Ross Muir this afternoon. Muir won his other 3 matches, Germany's Michael Betzinger has lost only to Muir and Biernadski (and was competitive both times). Alexander Kanchev of Bulgaria's 2 wins may be enough to see him through.

Group H
Michael Leslie stands undefeated with 4 wins, whilst Isle of Man's Darryl Hill has only lost to Leslie. All the other players are in with a chance - Simon Lichtenberg has 2 wins (frame difference 0) and is almost through to the next round (Only a 0 - 3 loss by Lichtenberg combined with 3 - 0 wins from Orzan and Heusdens would put Lichtenberg out) - he must play Hill next. Vergil Mavrodiev and Andrei Orzan have 1 win each (-7 and -5 on frames respectively) - they play this evening at 5 pm our time, with the winner likely to go through as Jurians Heusdens, who also has 1 win (frame difference -5), must play Michael Leslie next.