Topic locked

Will Selby Ever be World Snooker Champion ?

YES
60%
NO
40%

Total votes : 20

Will Selby ever be World Snooker Champion ?

Postby GJ

My honest view is i dont think he will be .

My reasoning

Mark for me just isnt clinical enough in the big matches and there are too many other top players who are far better in the big matches than Mark as shown by his record in semis and finals.

My 2nd reason is the battle scars have to start affecting Mark more and more as he contnues to lose more and more semis and finals.

So my vote is NO

DISCUSS

Re: Will Selby ever be World Snooker Champion ?

Postby Wildey

Selby has played in 7 Ranking Finals

David Gray 2003
John Higgins 2007
Ronnie O'Sullivan won 2008
Mark Williams 2011
Judd Trump 2011
Mark Williams won 2011
Ding Junhui 2012

so its not as if hes losing to mugs and credit has to go to the players that beat him and as that record shows prior to 2011 he reached 3 finals last 2 seasons hes reached 4 and lost to quality playing great stuff.

even today that was one of the best if not the best 4 frame winning spree of the season to beat selby.

Postby Skullman

The players who beat Selby have to be on their absolute A+ game to stand a chance. Mark Allen today played the best four frames of his life. He only ever loses to absolute legends of the game (and David Gray, but selby was only 19 then). Over long matches, Selby is capable of coming back at them, because they won't be on A+ game for multiple sessions. Plus he could have an easy draw like Robbo in 2010, and just have everything click in his game.

Btw how was Mark not clinical today? It's not like he bottled any shots/frames. He had to be outplayed by Allen, who might never play that well again.

Postby GJ

Ding isnt unbeatable in finals far from it so big chance gone there for selby.

Also winning a title with a so called easy draw is as hard as the pressure of being clear fav takes it toll on mentally weak players

Postby Roland

Obviously I'm not impartial but Wild has said it all. My favourite player for a reason. He is class and over the last 4 or 5 seasons there's not many with a better record, and the last 4 or 5 seasons the overall standard has been pretty damn good. Well certainly since Hearn started putting on more tournaments. The big 4 of 10 years ago set a godly standard of snooker and Selby is one of the few who has matched it albeit with a stronger field to contend with, not least with 3 of those 4 remaining at the level they were 10 years ago in sustained bursts.

Of course he can win the World Championships, but then again so can several others. For Selby this year it's not going to be easy with Mark Allen/Ding Junhui being his potential quarter-final opponent (the last 2 to beat him) and Robbo/Ronnie likely to be the semi-final opponent but he's beaten them all before now so why not? He's got as good a chance as any. And if not this year, then he's got a good 10 further attempts left in him, he's physically fit and can handle the heat of battle which is what the Crucible is all about.

Postby GJ

Skullman wrote:The players who beat Selby have to be on their absolute A+ game to stand a chance. Mark Allen today played the best four frames of his life. He only ever loses to absolute legends of the game (and David Gray, but selby was only 19 then). Over long matches, Selby is capable of coming back at them, because they won't be on A+ game for multiple sessions. Plus he could have an easy draw like Robbo in 2010, and just have everything click in his game.

Btw how was Mark not clinical today? It's not like he bottled any shots/frames. He had to be outplayed by Allen, who might never play that well again.

I never said specifically today its over the long term and marks record at the business end ;-)

Postby Roland

GJ wrote:Ding isnt unbeatable in finals far from it so big chance gone there for selby.

Also winning a title with a so called easy draw is as hard as the pressure of being clear fav takes it toll on mentally weak players

That's a good point GJ, Selby like others before and since has fallen foul of the clear favourite to win a match tag. When he knows it's going to be tough though, he can raise his game. You never know, maybe in a couple of months time we'll be looking back at the losses to Ding and Allen as a good thing because he won't be clear favourite against either come Sheffield. This is of course assuming they all win their first 2 matches which to be fair they are clear favourites to do. It would be a shock if the bottom section of the quarter-final draw isn't Selby v Allen/Ding

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:
Skullman wrote:The players who beat Selby have to be on their absolute A+ game to stand a chance. Mark Allen today played the best four frames of his life. He only ever loses to absolute legends of the game (and David Gray, but selby was only 19 then). Over long matches, Selby is capable of coming back at them, because they won't be on A+ game for multiple sessions. Plus he could have an easy draw like Robbo in 2010, and just have everything click in his game.

I never said specifically today its over the long term and marks record at the business end ;-)

Selby has been unlucky. I've seen players play worse than he did today and they've won tournaments. If he keeps getting to the business end of tournaments he'll win.

Anyway, its pointless to discuss this now, as Crucible changes things. You never who's going to do what. Selby might have an amazing run, or his opponents just peak now and then fall apart in April.

Postby jojo

he difinitely capable of winning the worlds there no doubt about that

he got the game can attack can play ugly mix it up all the ingredients you need to win at the crucible

the problem is there are so many good players he up against for examle like ding last year so winning it is going to be tough but i would never be surprised to see him win it

Postby Skullman

GJ wrote:Ding isnt unbeatable in finals far from it so big chance gone there for selby.

Yeah but the pressure is counteracted by the fact that the player who isn't clear fav is usually a worse player.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:

That's a good point GJ, Selby like others before and since has fallen foul of the clear favourite to win a match tag. When he knows it's going to be tough though, he can raise his game. You never know, maybe in a couple of months time we'll be looking back at the losses to Ding and Allen as a good thing because he won't be clear favourite against either come Sheffield. This is of course assuming they all win their first 2 matches which to be fair they are clear favourites to do. It would be a shock if the bottom section of the quarter-final draw isn't Selby v Allen/Ding

theres never a guarante all you can do is put yourself often in a possition to win.

Hendry has won most Ranking titles but he also has most Ranking runner up because he kept putting himself in a final....if you outplayed in the final well :hatoff:

Postby Roland

Is that true? Hendry losing in more ranking finals than anyone else?

It's like in golf, Jack Nicklaus has the record of most 2nd place finishes as well as winning the most majors.

I have to say it is a pretty bloody ridiculous arguement that Selby is level with Dominic Dale and Ali Carter in the stats just because of the two rankers. How many other finals have those been in? I can remember Carter in the 2008 Worlds off the top of my head and that's it. And neither of them have won the Masters which is a major when all is said and done.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Is that true? Hendry losing in more ranking finals than anyone else?

It's like in golf, Jack Nicklaus has the record of most 2nd place finishes as well as winning the most majors.

I have to say it is a pretty bloody ridiculous arguement that Selby is level with Dominic Dale and Ali Carter in the stats just because of the two rankers. How many other finals have those been in? I can remember Carter in the 2008 Worlds off the top of my head and that's it. And neither of them have won the Masters which is a major when all is said and done.

Hendry lost in 22 Ranking Finals next in that list is John Higgins and Jimmy White on 14.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:And if not this year, then he's got a good 10 further attempts left in him, he's physically fit and can handle the heat of battle which is what the Crucible is all about.

I think that is a bit optimistic. Hendry couldn't win it after turning 30, Davis after 32 and Higgins struggeled last year being 35.

Selby will turn 29 after this years WC. History tells us that he won't have a good 10 further attempts after this year.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:Are we talking about anyone called Selby, or just Mark Selby?

either :gag:

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Are we talking about anyone called Selby, or just Mark Selby?

either :gag:

Kimiko Date's brother had a son he christened Selby, and he is touted as Japan's hottest snooker prospect since..... well.... the last one.

Selby Date

<ok>

Postby boris_the_butcher

He might get lucky with the draw like a certain Aussie and then he's got just about enough to be world champion. Once higgins is no longer a force and assuming Trump doesn't dominate then what remains at the top will have just about an equal shout.

Postby Witz78

Muppet147 wrote:I doubt Selby will ever be world champ. He can't even win the regular ranking tournaments.

His only chance is to get an easy draw like the worst world champ Robbo.

2002 EBDON

2006 DOTT

2010 JONO

the cycle in the 21st century is that every 4 years there is an snooker winner of the worlds so 2014 probably Selbys best chance <ok>

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:
GJ wrote:Robbo will win it this year so your theory is BS mate

so your admitting hes snooker then? <ok>

I have gave up trying to convince people robbo attacks 50 % of the time

No point as its like hitting my head off a brick wall :irk: