Post a reply

Which THREE world finals do you wish had happened ?

Ray REARDON v John SPENCER
2%
Alex HIGGINS v Dennis TAYLOR
2%
Ray REARDON v Terry GRIFFITHS
1%
Alex HIGGINS v Steve DAVIS
8%
Ray REARDON v Steve DAVIS
2%
Jimmy WHITE v Alex HIGGINS
3%
Steve DAVIS v Stephen HENDRY
26%
Jimmy WHITE v Ronnie O'SULLIVAN
7%
Stephen HENDRY v Ronnie O'SULLIVAN
22%
Stephen HENDRY v John HIGGINS
14%
Ronnie O'SULLIVAN v Mark WILLIAMS
6%
John HIGGINS v Mark WILLIAMS
3%
Ronnie O'SULLIVAN v Peter EBDON
4%

Total votes : 121

WHICH 3 CRUCIBLE FINALS DO YOU WISH HAD HAPPENNED?

Postby Witz78

One thing that is amazing is that despite all the legends who won the World Title, so many potential classic matches were denied us because so many great finals never happened for one reason or another.

Ive only selected finals which never happened and likely wont happen now, hence few modern players at their peaks listed. And also the games listed had to be viable to have happened with players from same era or whos peaks just overlapped etc.

Simply vote for the THREE world finals you wish had happened.

Re: WHICH 3 CRUCIBLE FINALS DO YOU WISH HAD HAPPENNED?

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Even though I wouldn't have old enough to have seen it Davis-Hendry is the obvious one. One player dominates the 1980's and then at the start of the 90's is replaced by another player who rules that decade. The two big charging of the guard moments ended up happening in UK Finals.

For entertainment it would be White-Ale Higgins. Judging from what I've seen of their semi in 82.

Postby Skullman

Hendry vs Higgins and Hendry vs Davis.
(Plus Higgins vs William just to use up my third option)

Amazing that the two best Scottish players in the modern game have met other in the Crucible at all. As for Davis and Hendry it would have been nice to see which of the two were best in the biggest stage. Didn't go for any Reardon ones because during the years Davis and Griffiths were about, Reardon was getting old and wouldn't put up as a good a fight as he could have in the early-mid 70s. Ronnie vs Williams would have no excitement. You would know no matter how well Mark played, Ronnie would win.

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:Hendry v Davis and Hendry v O'Sullivan

Not on the list - Hunter v O'Sullivan

half thought of that one but decided that the players had to have won the WC or made multiple finals to be considered worthy of inclusion in the poll

Postby Witz78

Ray REARDON v John SPENCER - bizarre to think these 70s legends who won 9 titles out of 10 somehow never met in a final.
Alex HIGGINS v Dennis TAYLOR - a clash between the 2 Northern Irish legends would have been a great match.
Ray REARDON v Terry GRIFFITHS - this battle of the old and new Welsh snooker powers would have been a tacticians dream.
Alex HIGGINS v Steve DAVIS - def one of the great finals we never had, crowd would have inspired Alex similar to 83 UK final i feel.
Ray REARDON v Steve DAVIS - this would have been the passing of the guard from 70s to 80s and from the old style of snooker to the new type of professionalism
Jimmy WHITE v Alex HIGGINS - the ultimate Peoples Champion clash and what an exhibition of flair these 2 friends would have put on.
Steve DAVIS v Stephen HENDRY - the ultimate King of the Crucible showdown we sadly never got to see.
Jimmy WHITE v Ronnie O'SULLIVAN - another Peoples Champion clash, their 98 WC QF effectively is the changing of the guard
Stephen HENDRY v Ronnie O'SULLIVAN - another clash of styles and legends that would have been unmissable.
Stephen HENDRY v John HIGGINS - battle 0f the 2 top sweaty socks would have been a hard battle
Ronnie O'SULLIVAN v Mark WILLIAMS - not a game that overly excites me to be honest
John HIGGINS v Mark WILLIAMS - likewise another one that doesnt overly excite me
Ronnie O'SULLIVAN v Peter EBDON - this would have been a total clash of styles

Postby Witz78

boris_the_butcher wrote:Hendry v O'Sullivan is the one that got away but their 2002 semi and their earlier clash at the charity challenge (best game ever) made up for it.

to be fair all these games listed are ones that got away

and no offence to other games but ultimately the Worlds is wheres its at, so no other clash however good, can compare to what a Crucible final could have been.

Postby Alpha

I voted for Hendry-Higgins and the absolute clash of the century Hendry-Davis. Since the others don't interest me much I'll add {yes I know I'm cheating} Trump v O'Sullivan

Postby roy142857

Reardon / Spencer is a clear winner for me, just wish it had happened.

Had to think long and hard about the other two matches, tried to avoid having Hendry twice, but if he'd played Davis and O'Sullivan at the right time, they would have had to have been great matches (surely!), so for me it's got to be those matches.

Postby The Cueist

Peter Ebdon v Rory McLeod
It would have been like a 5 day final.
The cushions would have had to have been replaced
Due to the endless safety exchanges.
The crowd would have been drunk as the point of watching would have been lost.

The ref would have been warning them to speed up their play.

Would have been a great final .
Honest John v Slowby the 2nd encounter
Would have been a cracker

Postby Clara8633

The Cueist wrote:Peter Ebdon v Rory McLeod
It would have been like a 5 day final.
The cushions would have had to have been replaced
Due to the endless safety exchanges.
The crowd would have been drunk as the point of watching would have been lost.

The ref would have been warning them to speed up their play.

Would have been a great final .
Honest John v Slowby the 2nd encounter
Would have been a cracker

'Slowby' doesn't exist. Selby isn't slow on the table, even though he does play a lot of safety shots.

I agree that Ebdon v McLeod would be amusing <laugh> Or you could add Lawler in.

Postby The Cueist

Well I was just being slightly wry there.
I like mark selby as a person , Good bloke really.
Down to earth and he became a world champion when he looked down and out in the match.
No the guy has steely dtermination.

Rod lawler I dont know much about tbh.
He sounds riveting. Lol!!!!!