Topic locked

Re: Paul Hunter Classic 2010 in Furth

Postby N_Castle07

Don’t like this event. I think it is a disgrace that they don’t make this a bigger event and give it ranking points. I would prefer it if they got rid of the Welsh Open and made this into a ranking event instead.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:Don’t like this event. I think it is a disgrace that they don’t make this a bigger event and give it ranking points. I would prefer it if they got rid of the Welsh Open and made this into a ranking event instead.

paul hunter was a good player everyone liked him, uffortunaly he died of cancer however there has been other great and loved players that have died and theres no main tour tourneys named after them so why start now. so its fine as it is

Postby N_Castle07

Rocket Ron I’m not saying that every snooker player who dies has an event named after them. But Hunter clearly touched a lot of people’s life’s and was a remarkable player who won 3 Masters titles. Jimmy White was even disappointed that they didn’t name The Masters trophy the Paul Hunter Trophy.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:Rocket Ron I’m not saying that every snooker player who dies has an event named after them. But Hunter clearly touched a lot of people’s life’s and was a remarkable player who won 3 Masters titles. Jimmy White was even disappointed that they didn’t name The Masters trophy the Paul Hunter Trophy.

players like davis and hendry had won more masters than hunter so i agree that they didnt name the masters after him.yes your right he did touch alot of hearts mine included, but i think the paul hunter classic is fine

Postby N_Castle07

i saw a clip of it on youtube and it is a snooker table with chairs around it in a sports hall. Not exactly a tribute is it.

Postby Rocket_ron

N_Castle07 wrote:i saw a clip of it on youtube and it is a snooker table with chairs around it in a sports hall. Not exactly a tribute is it.

well what would you want to see? im interested in your thoughts on this matter

Postby Monique

Just a bit of history ...

In the late 90th there was a ranking event named the German Open. It ran from 1995 till 1997.
In 1998 it was renamed German Masters and became invitational. Then it disappeared alltogether.

However in 2004 it was revived as "Grand Prix Fürth" and Paul Hunter won it, beating Matthew Stevens. The next year, the pro-am was renamed again: Furth German Open and in 2007, after Paul's death it became Paul Hunter Classic, as a tribute to the first winner of the revived event and a much loved player.

Postby Rocket_ron

Monique wrote:Just a bit of history ...

In the late 90th there was a ranking event named the German Open. It ran from 1995 till 1997.
In 1998 it was renamed German Masters and became invitational. Then it disappeared alltogether.

However in 2004 it was revived as "Grand Prix Fürth" and Paul Hunter won it, beating Matthew Stevens. The next year, the pro-am was renamed again: Furth German Open and in 2007, after Paul's death it became Paul Hunter Classic, as a tribute to the first winner of the revived event and a much loved player.

thank you very much mon, i didn't know any of that. Thanks <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

Rocket Ron I would like to see a proper event with ranking points in a proper arena with proper cameras covering the event.

Postby Monique

Well it seems you will get it. It's almost certain such event will be held next season in Berlin, in February. I've heard that Barry Hearn will be in Berlin mid June (12th) at Ronnie's exhibition (with Judd Trump, Neil Robertson and another player still to be decided). The venue there is the Tempodrom. I personally don't think it's the best possible venue, but I suppose Barry wants to see by himself and to discuss with the german organisers and see what can be done. Defo Berlin is a good place to run an event. Good connections, nice city, lots of accomodations.

Postby Roland

The longer the event carries on with the name of Paul Hunter then the more likely it will gain status and eventually be one of those "classics" every player wants on their CV so it's fine as it is for now and I'm sure it'll grow in future.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:The longer the event carries on with the name of Paul Hunter then the more likely it will gain status and eventually be one of those "classics" every player wants on their CV so it's fine as it is for now and I'm sure it'll grow in future.

i will second this comment

Postby Wildey

i think its fast becoming established in it own right.

do we want to turn it in to a ranking tournament ? no i dont think we do really however id like this tournament used as the masters qualifying tournament i think that would give it more status plus it would tie in nicely with Paul's finest moments in snooker.

Postby Lucky

wildJONESEYE wrote:i think its fast becoming established in it own right.

do we want to turn it in to a ranking tournament ? no i dont think we do really however id like this tournament used as the masters qualifying tournament i think that would give it more status plus it would tie in nicely with Paul's finest moments in snooker.

Nice plan Wild......I think naming a ranker after him would be a little ott to be honest. I was never Hunters greatest fan as a player (gasps of dissapproval) So I don't get caught up in the sentimentality as quick as most.

Postby Roland

I think it's fair game to keep the name and upgrade it to a ranker in due course. I drew the line at renaming the Masters and thankfully sanity prevailed.

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:Rocket Ron I’m not saying that every snooker player who dies has an event named after them. But Hunter clearly touched a lot of people’s life’s and was a remarkable player who won 3 Masters titles. Jimmy White was even disappointed that they didn’t name The Masters trophy the Paul Hunter Trophy.

players like davis and hendry had won more masters than hunter so i agree that they didnt name the masters after him.yes your right he did touch alot of hearts mine included, but i think the paul hunter classic is fine

You're wrong, Davis did not win more Masters than Paul Hunter <ok> and he had won more Masters than O'Sullivan when he died in 2006.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:I think it's fair game to keep the name and upgrade it to a ranker in due course. I drew the line at renaming the Masters and thankfully sanity prevailed.

I agree with lucky and sonny here, no way should the masters be named after hunter, but happy with current paul hunter classic and all for it becoming a ranking touney in the future

Postby N_Castle07

Don't think anyone wanted the Masters name to be changed, however alot wanted the trophy to be called The Paul Hunter Trophy not the event itself.

Postby Tubberlad

I would go as far as saying that the trophy SHOULD have been named after him, it's what all the players wanted actually.
As for renaming the tournament, no way.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I would go as far as saying that the trophy SHOULD have been named after him, it's what all the players wanted actually.

na im not a fan of trophies being named after anyone and infact he only won that trophy once in his first 2 masters it was a gold cup he won by winning the masters.

i loved paul and his death for me was the biggest tragedy to hit snooker having a current top player dying in his prime but we need to keep things in perspective and it would set a precedent are we going to get a Winner of The World Hendry Trophy Championship in years to come ?

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:I would go as far as saying that the trophy SHOULD have been named after him, it's what all the players wanted actually.

na im not a fan of trophies being named after anyone and infact he only won that trophy once in his first 2 masters it was a gold cup he won by winning the masters.

i loved paul and his death for me was the biggest tragedy to hit snooker having a current top player dying in his prime but we need to keep things in perspective and it would set a precedent are we going to get a Winner of The World Hendry Trophy Championship in years to come ?

Im in very much agreement with wild here, hunter won the gold trophy twice and the crystal onn once so to rename the trophy after him wouldn't be right. hendy won the gold masters 5 times (i think its 5) and thats why he got to keep it. so the masters shouldn't be named after paul and niether should the trophy