Ding Junhui
No votes
Other (please State)
No votes

Total votes : 10

Best Potter Ever

Postby Rocket_ron

Poll for ya!!!

If all these players were at the hight of their form, who would be the best potter ever?

Re: Best Potter Ever

Postby Wildey

when you say potter i take it long potter ?

if thats the case then for me its Hendry.

most others on that list plays a adaption of a shot to nothing .....hendry at his best played for possition on the black,pink or blue off a long pot whitch added pressure in itself on getting it whitch he did more often than not.

Postby Rocket_ron

Wild wrote:when you say potter i take it long potter ?

most others on that list plays a adaption of a shot to nothing .....hendry at his best played for possition on the black,pink or blue off a long pot whitch added pressure in itself on getting it whitch he did more often than not.

yes wild overall potter, not just plain ball single potting but potting with spin posistion aswell.

Complete Potter. If you was to build a dream player who would you have as the potter

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:Jimmy White (back in the day.)

Surely Cliff Wilson should be in the poll though.

yes theres a few others like Steve James but Rocket Ron too young to remember them.

Postby Casey

Ronnie and Lee should not be on the list.

Postby Rocket_ron

Muppet147 wrote:Jimmy White (back in the day.)

Surely Cliff Wilson should be in the poll though

Cant name them all Knowlesy so thats why the is a "Other (please State)"

Thanks for input

Postby Wildey

Rocket_ron wrote:
Wild wrote:when you say potter i take it long potter ?

yes wild overall potter, not just plain ball single potting but potting with spin posistion aswell.

Complete Potter. If you was to build a dream player who would you have as the potter

most complete all round potter without a doubt Hendry Long,Short,middle pocket at all sort of crazy angles from tight off the top or bottom cushing.

Postby Rocket_ron

Casey wrote:Ronnie and Lee should not be on the list.

Why not?

Lee can pull off some cracking shots. and ronnie on form (as i stated in the 1st post) could pot any ball with spin and get on any posistion so I feel ronnie should be on the list

Postby Witz78

A farce that Alex Higgins aint on the list, if were talking out and out potters then hes easily up there, infact the best. Just watch THAT 69 for starters.
Others worthy of a mention? Perrie Mans, Kirk Stevens, Patsy Houlihan, Tony Drago, Willie Thorne.
Best potter too vague a category but for me best potter means who can consistently pot tricky shots.
And ur taking the snake hiss i presume Case re: Ronnie?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:A farce that Alex Higgins aint on the list, if were talking out and out potters then hes easily up there, infact the best. Just watch THAT 69 for starters.
Others worthy of a mention? Perrie Mans, Kirk Stevens, Patsy Houlihan, Tony Drago, Willie Thorne.
Best potter too vague a category but for me best potter means who can consistently pot tricky shots.
And ur taking the snake hiss i presume Case re: Ronnie?

re when the hell did you ever see Pat Houlihan play <laugh>

Postby Witz78

And your point is? Bit like us not ever being able to dare mention Joe Davis cos none of us sam him play in his prime.
Jimmy cites Houlihan as an inspiration and has called him the most naturally gifted player ever as have many others of that era been high in praise so thats good enough for me.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:And your point is? Bit like us not ever being able to dare mention Joe Davis cos none of us sam him play in his prime.
Jimmy cites Houlihan as an inspiration and has called him the most naturally gifted player ever as have many others of that era been high in praise so thats good enough for me.

point is how do you expect anyone to vote for someone they never seen......unless jimmy is a SI Member rofl

Postby Witz78

Theres already a new generation who cant remember peak Hendry and over time there will be more of them. I presume in 10 years or so when Hendrys a total relic of the past youll be calling for him to be excluded from polls too?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Theres already a new generation who cant remember peak Hendry and over time there will be more of them. I presume in 10 years or so when Hendrys a total relic of the past youll be calling for him to be excluded from polls too?

there will always be clips of post 70s players but your right already people forgot just how much better than Ronnie stephen was.

Postby Muppet147

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Theres already a new generation who cant remember peak Hendry and over time there will be more of them. I presume in 10 years or so when Hendrys a total relic of the past youll be calling for him to be excluded from polls too?

there will always be clips of post 70s players but your right already people forgot just how much better than Ronnie stephen was.

I must have forgotten too, as I consider Ronnie to be the far better player. His complete destruction of him in the 2008 semi-final remains one of the great performances of all time.<ok>

Postby Witz78

point is though whenever theres a GOAT debate it seems to be exclusively be between the recent big 4.

Joe Davis, Fred Davis overlooked simply because there from an old era

then likes of Higgins, Reardon, Steve Davis overlooked because there not from the recent era.

if you ask a load of people in 10 years who the GOAT is the main contenders could be Judd and Ding with some token mentions for Higgins and Ronnie

Postby Skullman

Muppet147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

I must have forgotten too, as I consider Ronnie to be the far better player. His complete destruction of him in the 2008 semi-final remains one of the great performances of all time.<ok>

But Hendry was a few years past his prime then. I was never around to see peak Hendry, but I doubt 2008 Hendry was anywhere near 90s Hendry.

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:point is though whenever theres a GOAT debate it seems to be exclusively be between the recent big 4.

then likes of Higgins, Reardon, Steve Davis overlooked because there not from the recent era.

if you ask a load of people in 10 years who the GOAT is the main contenders could be Judd and Ding with some token mentions for Higgins and Ronnie

True, if it was based on results, it would have to be Joe Davis. It always suprised me that Davis (Steve that is) or Reardon are never considered potential GOATs.

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

But Hendry was a few years past his prime then. I was never around to see peak Hendry, but I doubt 2008 Hendry was anywhere near 90s Hendry.

Hendrys peak ironically rhymes with the era he played in :gag:

Postby Witz78

Skullman wrote:
Witz78 wrote:point is though whenever theres a GOAT debate it seems to be exclusively be between the recent big 4.

True, if it was based on results, it would have to be Joe Davis. It always suprised me that Davis (Steve that is) or Reardon are never considered potential GOATs.

always makes me laugh if theres a Hendry v somone debate, the Hendry fans just pipe up with "7 world titles, end of debate" then if you counter it with "Joe Davis 15, Fred Davis 8" they suddnely move the goalposts :fart:

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes mate

exhibit A of a muppet <ok>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

always makes me laugh if theres a Hendry v somone debate, the Hendry fans just pipe up with "7 world titles, end of debate" then if you counter it with "Joe Davis 15, Fred Davis 8" they suddnely move the goalposts :fart:

ive never ever ever piped up titles for any debate <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Skullman wrote:

ive never ever ever piped up titles for any debate <ok>

i'll give you that :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Wild wrote:

yes mate

How about the 2004 17-4 pumping then :shrug:

Postby Wildey

well thank you :mosh2:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:
Wild wrote:there will always be clips of post 70s players but your right already people forgot just how much better than Ronnie stephen was.

yes mate

hendry was past it in 2002 so another 2 years was not going to improve things <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

yes mate

hendry was past it in 2002 so another 2 years was not going to improve things <ok>

he made a World Final in 2002 so how was he past it then?