Topic locked

Re: The Main Draw

Postby Monique

Ronnie O’Sullivan withdraws from Haikou World Open

As you may have read, Ronnie has been suffering from glandular fever and has been playing in recent tournaments in Germany and Wales against his doctor’s advice.

Since returning from Wales, Ronnie has been extremely tired and has again been advised to rest in order to recuperate. Regrettably, Ronnie has decided to withdraw from the Haikou World Open.

Ronnie says: “I am very sorry that I have to withdraw from Haikou; despite my illness I have been competing well in recent weeks and was greatly looking forward to taking part in the World Open and meeting my fans in China. However, I have to listen to my body sometimes and I have decided that I will be in better shape for the climax of the season and the World Championships if I listen to my doctor and spend the next few weeks resting. I hope I can make it to Ireland in China in March and look forward to seeing you all soon”.

http://www.grovesnooker.co.uk/2012/02/2 ... orld-open/

I'm not surprised and it's a sensible decision.
I have no doubt that some people will come about "he can't be bothered", "it's fake", "of course, he hates traveling" … let me say this - and it will be my only comment about the subject - they know nothing about the real situation.

Postby Skullman

Monique wrote:
Ronnie O’Sullivan withdraws from Haikou World Open

As you may have read, Ronnie has been suffering from glandular fever and has been playing in recent tournaments in Germany and Wales against his doctor’s advice.

Since returning from Wales, Ronnie has been extremely tired and has again been advised to rest in order to recuperate. Regrettably, Ronnie has decided to withdraw from the Haikou World Open.

Ronnie says: “I am very sorry that I have to withdraw from Haikou; despite my illness I have been competing well in recent weeks and was greatly looking forward to taking part in the World Open and meeting my fans in China. However, I have to listen to my body sometimes and I have decided that I will be in better shape for the climax of the season and the World Championships if I listen to my doctor and spend the next few weeks resting. I hope I can make it to Ireland in China in March and look forward to seeing you all soon”.

http://www.grovesnooker.co.uk/2012/02/2 ... orld-open/

I'm not surprised and it's a sensible decision.
I have no doubt that some people will come about "he can't be bothered", "it's fake", "of course, he hates traveling" … let me say this - and it will be my only comment about the subject - they know nothing about the real situation.

Not in a position to tell if it's fake or not, so won't. I don't think he is skipping this tournament as his mindset has been much better this year. Thinking back, it seems likely that his glandular fever was affecting him during his match with Selby on Saturday.

Bet Mark Williams won't be too displeased though ;-)

Postby Wildey

not in the slightest bit surprised TBH.

With 6 Rankers on a different continant plus German Masters and 6 PTC Ronnie will have to go out of this country a lot in the next few years just to keep his head Above Water Ranking wise.

Postby Witz78

call me cynical but had his ranking place been in more danger would he have pulled out..........

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:call me cynical but had his ranking place been in more danger would he have pulled out..........

i think its safe to say Ronnie will never be top 8 again he needs to really comit to get there......despite winning in Germany and 2 PTC This season Ronnie will be going to the PTC Finals as World no 16.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:call me cynical but had his ranking place been in more danger would he have pulled out..........

It might be cynical, but I share the opinion that he probably wouldn't have.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

That's the correct decision. If he needs rest, snooker has to come second. Ronnie doesn't care about the rankings as long as he's in the top 16. He was World No. 1 five times in his career but his priority was always winning titles and that's the only thing that matters in this stage of his career.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:

i think its safe to say Ronnie will never be top 8 again he needs to really comit to get there......despite winning in Germany and 2 PTC This season Ronnie will be going to the PTC Finals as World no 16.

<doh>

He's not going into the PTC finals as 16. because he pulled out on so many events this season, it's because of the 2010/11 "I don't care about snooker anymore" season. He's number 4 in the 2011/12 season ranking.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

<doh>

He's not going into the PTC finals as 16. because he pulled out on so many events this season, it's because of the 2010/11 "I don't care about snooker anymore" season. He's number 4 in the 2011/12 season ranking.

2011/2012 season rankings are as pointless as it comes hes 16th in the bucking world if he will maintain this seasons form next season with 6 rankers with long haul flights then hes up the rankings but that no 4 bullocks is just that bucking bullocks.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

<doh>

One year list meaningless in terms of seedings and places in overall rankings. He could easily crash and burn next season and him being no4 in the one year list would mean nothing. Plus he's started pulling out again and the "I don't care about snooker anymore" Ronnie could be back.

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:Bet Mark Williams won't be too displeased though ;-)

He will be doing cartwheels right now ...

look

rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Has Hendry got any chance of beating Neil Robertson again? Or was that Stephen's one good result of the season?

Postby Casey

So Ronnie will need some good results in the PTC grand finals - the chances are he will head to that event outside the provisional top 16.

Postby Monique

Casey wrote:So Ronnie will need some good results in the PTC grand finals - the chances are he will head to that event outside the provisional top 16.

The chances are next to nil for that: it would take for Higginson to win the Haikou World Open.

Postby GJ

The gap from 16 to 17 is now well over 3000 points i think

And I think Ronnie's reason is genuine as he did look unwell in saturdays match.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
Casey wrote:So Ronnie will need some good results in the PTC grand finals - the chances are he will head to that event outside the provisional top 16.

The chances are next to nil for that: it would take for Higginson to win the Haikou World Open.

Oh Wow - didn't realise that the gap between 17th and 16th was so big. i take it Ronnie won't be receiving any points for the World Open?

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:The gap from 16 to 17 is now well over 3000 points i think

And I think Ronnie's reason is genuine as he did look unwell in saturdays match.

his decition and not unexpected without being ill but i do buy hes not feeling that great at mo.

but i still dont buy this Ronnie is more comitted marmite because hes Ronnie and changes his mind from day to day, hour to hour,minute to minute..

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

Oh Wow - didn't realise that the gap between 17th and 16th was so big. i take it Ronnie won't be receiving any points for the World Open?

lets put it like this if he gets 0 points World Snooker thinks hes bullshitting them i guess.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

lets put it like this if he gets 0 points World Snooker thinks hes bullshitting them i guess.

He will get his points because the reason is genuine and the evidence is there to prove it.
BTW see http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 81,00.html

They wouldn't specify such a precise cause if it wasn't there.
They have known already from the UK that he was battling it and almost pulled out then already.

Postby vodkadiet

The thing with Rigsby is that he has previous with regard to pulling out of overseas events. There is an element of 'The boy who cried wolf' about all this.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:
Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:
Monique wrote:

He will get his points because the reason is genuine and the evidence is there to prove it.
BTW see http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 81,00.html

They wouldn't specify such a precise cause if it wasn't there.
They have known already from the UK that he was battling it and almost pulled out then already.

how come he never got his minimum points for Australia since his reason then was also "genuine" ?

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:The thing with Rigsby is that he has previous with regard to pulling out of overseas events. There is an element of 'The boy who cried wolf' about all this.

That's it. How many times has he pulled out of tournaments in other countries with the flu or with a bad back or whatever. Even if this time it's 100% genuine, not all of them can have been.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Unfortunately I won't be able to watch any of the snooker next week. Tomorrow my holiday starts and I'm flying to Gran Canaria for 10 days.

Enjoy the snooker! I'll be back.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Unfortunately I won't be able to watch any of the snooker next week. Tomorrow my holiday starts and I'm flying to Gran Canaria for 10 days.

Have fun! You're alright guy, even if you are a Ronnie fan ;-)

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Unfortunately I won't be able to watch any of the snooker next week. Tomorrow my holiday starts and I'm flying to Gran Canaria for 10 days.

have fun at the Yumbo Centre :limp:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The thing with Rigsby is that he has previous with regard to pulling out of overseas events. There is an element of 'The boy who cried wolf' about all this.

That's it. How many times has he pulled out of tournaments in other countries with the flu or with a bad back or whatever. Even if this time it's 100% genuine, not all of them can have been.

yeh it is funny how he never pulls out of UK rankers

yet seems to miss half the foreign events with illnesses etc