Post a reply

Thought I would introduce myself....

Postby Squidski

Hello Snooker Island,

My name is Sydney Wilson, i'm an amateur snooker player, and have just joined the site. I did intend to join the site shortly after the Pink Ribbon tournament last year at SWSA but i've been busy with work and other commitments.

It's nice to join up here and it looks like a great web site!

Syd

Re: Thought I would introduce myself....

Postby Smart

Squidski wrote:Hello Snooker Island,

My name is Sydney Wilson, i'm an amateur snooker player, and have just joined the site. I did intend to join the site shortly after the Pink Ribbon tournament last year at SWSA but i've been busy with work and other commitments.

It's nice to join up here and it looks like a great web site!

Syd

welcome Syd :hatoff:

Postby Roland

Welcome Sydney, now if you remember ages ago you were going to scan that magazine article to accompany your interview which you never got back to me on!

Postby Squidski

Sonny wrote:Welcome Sydney, now if you remember ages ago you were going to scan that magazine article to accompany your interview which you never got back to me on!

Ah, yes. I will get these to you ASAP. My snooker room is being refurbished and the articles were on the wall in frames but they've been taken down so I will have to ask my dad to find them for me. I've got a scanner at home so it shouldn't be a problem!

And thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Postby Squidski

Snooker heroes... I would say Ronnie O'Sullivan. I think when he is at his best, it's the highest standard of snooker I have seen. Unfortunately, he's not as consistent as someone like Higgins. I admire Judd Trump a lot as i've grown up playing alongside him in tournaments and played him a few times. I like Mark Selby and Neil Robertson also. Selby because he puts everything into every shot, and Robertson because... well... 7 finals... 7 wins. Speaks for itself doesn't it?

As for me, I've been playing since I was 3 years old, a long time! I wouldn't be able to say who my game is most similar to. I was self-taught up until I met Vic Harris, who taught me to go through the ball properly. But I have always had an unpredictable style of play, and sometimes I like to be a bit flash and throw caution to the wind. I guess you could say i'm a bit like a modern-day Alex Higgins, minus the 2 World Championships and other titles!

The thing that has held me back is having no sponsorship, and having to work rather than being on the practice table most of the time. From the age of 16-21, i've had around 2 1/2 years out of the game, but still managed to beat the likes of Dave Harold, Alfie Burden, Kuldesh Johal, Simon Bedford, Adam Duffy, Jimmy Robertson, many more and also most of the juniors from when I grew up playing with them. The only juniors I never managed to beat were Judd Trump, Stuart Carrington and Anthony McGill. But regardless of this, I still feel confident I can go all the way, and just need to get myself more practice games with good players and have no breaks away from the table, but again, this isn't easy where i'm from! No-one seems to want to play!

I practiced with David Gray the other day, I haven't really practiced properly in 4 months. I lost the first set 9-0, but won the second set 9-8. I am just struggling for consistency when I am not practicing. So hopefully I can put all that behind me :)

EDIT: May I also say that one of my biggest inspirations is Jack Lisowski, for coming back from cancer, turning pro, and shooting up the pro rankings. And also Adam Wicheard, similar circumstances, was told he would never walk again, yet he's just qualified for the Welsh Open. Amazing.

Postby Squidski

Just qualified 1st in the Paul Hunter English Open beating Adam Duffy 3-1, Joel Walker 3-2, Jordan Winbourne and Lee Walters 3-0. Pretty happy with that!

Postby Smart

Squidski wrote:Just qualified 1st in the Paul Hunter English Open beating Adam Duffy 3-1, Joel Walker 3-2, Jordan Winbourne and Lee Walters 3-0. Pretty happy with that!

well played :hatoff:

I was quite impressed with Duffy from what I saw of him vs Jack the other day - tidy player <ok>

Postby Witz78

Squidski wrote:Snooker heroes... I would say Ronnie O'Sullivan. I think when he is at his best, it's the highest standard of snooker I have seen. Unfortunately, he's not as consistent as someone like Higgins. I admire Judd Trump a lot as i've grown up playing alongside him in tournaments and played him a few times. I like Mark Selby and Neil Robertson also. Selby because he puts everything into every shot, and Robertson because... well... 7 finals... 7 wins. Speaks for itself doesn't it?

As for me, I've been playing since I was 3 years old, a long time! I wouldn't be able to say who my game is most similar to. I was self-taught up until I met Vic Harris, who taught me to go through the ball properly. But I have always had an unpredictable style of play, and sometimes I like to be a bit flash and throw caution to the wind. I guess you could say i'm a bit like a modern-day Alex Higgins, minus the 2 World Championships and other titles!

The thing that has held me back is having no sponsorship, and having to work rather than being on the practice table most of the time. From the age of 16-21, i've had around 2 1/2 years out of the game, but still managed to beat the likes of Dave Harold, Alfie Burden, Kuldesh Johal, Simon Bedford, Adam Duffy, Jimmy Robertson, many more and also most of the juniors from when I grew up playing with them. The only juniors I never managed to beat were Judd Trump, Stuart Carrington and Anthony McGill. But regardless of this, I still feel confident I can go all the way, and just need to get myself more practice games with good players and have no breaks away from the table, but again, this isn't easy where i'm from! No-one seems to want to play!

I practiced with David Gray the other day, I haven't really practiced properly in 4 months. I lost the first set 9-0, but won the second set 9-8. I am just struggling for consistency when I am not practicing. So hopefully I can put all that behind me :)

EDIT: May I also say that one of my biggest inspirations is Jack Lisowski, for coming back from cancer, turning pro, and shooting up the pro rankings. And also Adam Wicheard, similar circumstances, was told he would never walk again, yet he's just qualified for the Welsh Open. Amazing.

cheers for the detailed reply <ok>

glad to hear you follow the flair players and admire there style. Ive always been a fan of the all out attack and unpredictable style players. Your games like Alex Higgins :clap: My all time fave and who i tend to model my style on too.........and my snooker and pool playing as well rofl

Yes its not easy trying to make your way in snooker, unless your ridiculously exceptional like a young Ronnie was, then no offence but theres a lot of similar guys out there and i guess some of its luck and some of its down to finances and who can make the biggest sacrifice to focus on their snooker and try to get on tour, make an impact etc. Laterlly ive been practicing with a guy Marc Davis who youve probably crossed paths with on the junior and amateur circuit and hes enlightened me to the plight of what himself and guys like you too i guess are suffering.

Eventually i guess you come to a crossroads and have to make some sort of decision, are you going to make it? is it worth the sacrifices or is it a dream that wont come true? with the tour going up to 128 players and increased money and events, id say stick in though and give it your best shot <ok>

Is this part of the reason youve not been practicing lately? U become disillusioned by things and way your careers going? You were playing in some of the PTCs im sure though werent you?

I take it youll be entering Q School?

lastly whats the crack with the practice routines with Gray you mention? Sets :shrug: what exactly is that

Postby roy142857

Squidski wrote:Just qualified 1st in the Paul Hunter English Open beating Adam Duffy 3-1, Joel Walker 3-2, Jordan Winbourne and Lee Walters 3-0. Pretty happy with that!

So you should be, a good set of players and you're 12-3 on frames. Good stuff.

Postby Squidski

About David Gray, we practiced together for the day in Coulsdon, Surrey.

We had 2 best of 17's. I lost the first 9-0, and won the second 9-8. This was the first time i'd picked up a cue properly for about 2 months.

Postby Roland

It's good to hear about your PTCs Syd because I wondered what had happened and thought you'd jacked it in. Also good to hear that you're in good form.