Post a reply

Re: Paul Hunter Open 2012

Postby Roland

I'll probably be popping along to this on Saturday weather permitting. I'll report back if I do.

Postby roy142857

So from what I understand 3 players from each five player group qualify for the knockout stages on 21st - 23rd March, with group winners getting a bye to the last 32.

Pros entered are Sam Craigie, Peter Lines, David Grace and Adam Duffy.

Last Year's winner Robbie Williams is seeded 1, bit surprised that last years runner-up Stephen Craigie is unseeded - not that that matters too much in this format.

Anyone know why some players highlighted in red in the group draw? Hope this isn't withdrawals but could be ... hoping this isn't for Group L as there'd be only 3 players left.

Postby markj147

Hannah will be there. She is in Group E playing Gary Wilson, Sachin Plaha, Joe Roberts and James Cahill.

Tough group hope she scrapes a frame or 2.

Postby Roland

Hannah pushed Gary Wilson hard losing out 3-1 with most of them pink ball frames was it Mark? She beat Sachin 3-0. Was funny watching her with Mark - "Pot or safety?" - she did play at least one safety which involved turning down a pot. <laugh>

Postby markj147

Yep he had 66 in first, she won on pink in 2nd lost on pink in 3rd and 4th. She played quite well today. Very proud.

The pot or safety calls were funny. The look of shock when she played a safety when there was a tough shot on was brilliant.:)

I didn't expect her to win a frame all day and in fact she missed qualifying by 1 frame.

Postby Roland

Female Mark Williams - goes for everything, can't remember anything afterwards!

Postby Squidski

On my way up to Leeds tonight so I can get a decent nights sleep for tomorrow.

Is it really the top 3 that qualify? The last time I entered this event was '08 or '09, I can't remember. But it was 2 qualifiers back then!

I'm in with Adam Duffy, Joel Walker, Jordan Winbourne and someone else if I remember correctly. I haven't practiced much at all for 4 months so if it's top 3 it works to my advantage!

Postby roy142857

Squidski wrote:On my way up to Leeds tonight so I can get a decent nights sleep for tomorrow.

Is it really the top 3 that qualify? The last time I entered this event was '08 or '09, I can't remember. But it was 2 qualifiers back then!

I'm in with Adam Duffy, Joel Walker, Jordan Winbourne and someone else if I remember correctly. I haven't practiced much at all for 4 months so if it's top 3 it works to my advantage!

The other play is South West player Lee Walters, used to be a pro I think.

Seems you're in luck re qualifying, 48 to go through and 16 groups so must be 3 per 5 player group.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:
Squidski wrote:On my way up to Leeds tonight so I can get a decent nights sleep for tomorrow.

Seems you're in luck re qualifying, 48 to go through and 16 groups so must be 3 per 5 player group.

Good luck for tomorrow!

Well, maybe. Competitions bit of the English Snooker website says "48 players will qualify to the Knockout stages" and the letter to the players said as much ... but the knock-out section of the results area shows a last 32 only. So who knows!

No results for the group matches posted yet, but a list of high breaks is on there, some century breaks by Ben (113), Gary Wilson (113, 100), Sanderson Lam (111, 100) and Chris Wakelin (102) ... and eight qualifiers shown so far ... Craig Steadman, Chris Wakelin, Chris Norbury, Ben Harrison, Robbie Williams, Jamie Brown, Gary Wilson and James Cahill.

Postby Roland

Ben's would've been 120 had he bothered to pot the black instead of smash it and of course an hour or so later he had that max against me.

Postby PLtheRef

roy142857 wrote:
roy142857 wrote:

Good luck for tomorrow!

Well, maybe. Competitions bit of the English Snooker website says "48 players will qualify to the Knockout stages" and the letter to the players said as much ... but the knock-out section of the results area shows a last 32 only. So who knows!

No results for the group matches posted yet, but a list of high breaks is on there, some century breaks by Ben (113), Gary Wilson (113, 100), Sanderson Lam (111, 100) and Chris Wakelin (102) ... and eight qualifiers shown so far ... Craig Steadman, Chris Wakelin, Chris Norbury, Ben Harrison, Robbie Williams, Jamie Brown, Gary Wilson and James Cahill.

The group winners will advance as the seeded 16 to the last 32 would be my guess - with runners up and third place finishers playing in the last 48 round to qualify.

Postby Squidski

I can't believe the EASB still haven't updated their site with ALL the qualifiers from the event. It's been ages! What are they doing with their time?

Postby roy142857

Squidski wrote:I can't believe the EASB still haven't updated their site with ALL the qualifiers from the event. It's been ages! What are they doing with their time?

It is disappointing, perhaps the problem is simply a lack of resources. Would be interesting to know where the breakdown is - no-one available to update it, or results from the two days that are missing not passed on by the people running the event on those days.

The contrast to Ireland, with RIBSA often managing to get results posted live (well almost) on the day of tournaments, is a stark one, can't recall any of even the Pro Tour Qualifying Tournament results being posted on the day.

In other ways EASB are quite forward looking, organising things such as the Q School Qualifying tournaments for instance. Maybe they have a lack of volunteers at EASB able (or with the time) to do these things, perhaps something some of the players (being younger and more 'with it' on technology) could offer to help with this.

Postby roy142857

OK, so now all the results are posted, qualifiers for the knock out competition (only 32 despite what was said elsewhere by EASB) are:

Craig Steadman
Chris Wakelin
David Grace
Steve Martin
Chris Norbury
Ben Harrison
Robbie Williams
Jamie Brown
Gary Wilson
James Cahill
Sam Harvey
Justin Astley
Peter Lines
Gareth Green
Ashley Wright
Michael Tomlinson
Elliott Slessor
Liam Monk
Oliver Lines
Jeff Cundy
Antony Parsons
Richard Binns
Michael Wilde
James Hill
Sydney Wilson
Adam Duffy
Ian Barry Stark
John Astley
Stephen Craigie
Oliver Brown
Sean O'Sullivan
Adam Edge

Congratulations to all the qualifiers.

Seeded players that missed out were Ian Burns, Sam Craigie, Darren Burns and Tom Maxfield (No 12 seed Shaun Wilkes didn't play).

Postby roy142857

roy142857 wrote:OK, so now all the results are posted, qualifiers for the knock out competition (only 32 despite what was said elsewhere by EASB) are:

Craig Steadman
Chris Wakelin
David Grace
Steve Martin
Chris Norbury
Ben Harrison
Robbie Williams
Jamie Brown
Gary Wilson
James Cahill
Sam Harvey
Justin Astley
Peter Lines
Gareth Green
Ashley Wright
Michael Tomlinson
Elliott Slessor
Liam Monk
Oliver Lines
Jeff Cundy
Antony Parsons
Richard Binns
Michael Wilde
James Hill
Sydney Wilson
Adam Duffy
Ian Barry Stark
John Astley
Stephen Craigie
Oliver Brown
Sean O'Sullivan
Adam Edge

Congratulations to all the qualifiers.

Seeded players that missed out were Ian Burns, Sam Craigie, Darren Burns and Tom Maxfield (No 12 seed Shaun Wilkes didn't play).

Only ... now EASB have changed what's shown, and reverted to what the original letters to players said, with 3 from each group qualified ... so Ian Burns, Sam Craigie, Darren Burns and Tom Maxfield ARE all through. belated congratulations to them!

Postby roy142857

The Tournament's knock out stages take place this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds - last 48 Wednesday morning and afternoon, last 32 Thursday morning, last 16 Thursday afternoon, quarter finals Thursday evening, semi-finals Friday morning and the final at 4pm on Friday afternoon.

The draw:

Adam Edge v Ben Wanley (winner plays Craig Steadman)
James Hill v Darren Burns (Ian Barry Stark)
John Astley v Christopher Keogan (Sydney Wilson)
Steve Martin v Sanderson Lam (Antony Parsons)
Gareth Green v Jake Nicholson (Sam Harvey)
James Brown v Joel Walker (Oliver Lines)
Jeff Cundy v Kevin Robinson (David Grace)
James Cahill v Jamie Barrett (Sean O'Sullivan)
Chris Wakelin v Sam Craigie (Robbie Williams)
Liam Monk v Thomas Saddington (Michael Wild)
Adam Duffy v Danny Connolly (Ashley Wright)
Oliver Brown v Richard Remelie (Gary Wilson)
Justin Astley v Tom Maxfield (Elliot Slessor)
Ben Harrison v Joe Roberts (Stephen Craigie)
Michael Tomlinson v Ian Burns (Peter Lines)
Richard Binns v Alan Evitts (Chris Norbury)

Good luck to Ben, Squidski et al !

:D

Postby Roland

And Kevin Robinson - just noticed the name. He was our hope from the Harrogate area 10 years ago.

Postby roy142857

And the 2012 winner of the Paul Hunter Open is ... Adam Duffy

:win:

Many congratulations to him.

Early round losers included Syd Wilson, going down in a close 4-5 battle with Christopher Keogan, David Grace lost 2 - 5 to Jeff Cundy and Stephen Craigiwe lost 3 - 5 to Ben Harrison all in the last 32. At the last 48 stage, Sam Craigie lost 3 - 4 to Chris Wakelin, who subsequently lost 1 - 5 to Robbie Williams.

Knock-out results from last 16 on:
Craig Steadman 5 - 1 Darren Burns
Christopher Keogan 5 - 4 Sanderson Lam
Sam Harvey 0 - 5 Joel Walker
Jeff Cundy 5 - 2 Sean O'Sullivan
Robbie Williams 2 - 5 Michael Wild
Adam Duffy 5 - 3 Gary Wilson
Elliot Slessor 1 - 5 Ben Harrison
Peter Lines 5 - 3 Chris Norbury

Craig Steadman 5 - 2 Christopher Keogan
Joel Walker 4 - 5 Jeff Cundy
Michael Wild 3 - 5 Adam Duffy
Ben Harrison 0 - 5 Peter Lines

Craig Steadman 5 - 0 Jeff Cundy
Adam Duffy 5 - 2 Peter Lines

Craig Steadman 3 - 6 Adam Duffy

High break for the tournament was Stephen Craigie's 132 from qualifying, the highest break at the knock-out stages being a 129 by Craig Steadman