Post a reply

The Snookerbacker Classic

Postby Roland

The Snookerbacker is running an amateur snooker tournament called The Snookerbacker Classic. The event consists of 4 qualifying rounds taking place on and in:

2nd December: Leeds

28th January: Dublin

30th January: Gloucester

10th February: Chelmsford

finishing up on 24th February back at Gloucester for the finals day.

The prize is entry fee to Q-School plus 4 PTCs (or a diminished cash alternative) as a way of encouraging those players good enough for a crack at turning professional and who find it hard to attract sponsors and therefore fund the entry fees and expenses required to do so. So far the event has attracted a lot of top amateur players including the likes of our very own Snooker Island badge wearer Ben Harrison and forum member and recent interviewee Gareth Allen. The favourite for the event though has to me and I am playing in Leeds on 2nd December, the day before the UK kicks off in York.

More information can be found here: http://www.snookerbacker.com/the-snooke ... ssic-2012/

and the draw for the Leeds event will take place live on twitter tomorrow evening at 6:45pm here: http://twitter.com/#!/snookerbacker1

Re: The Snookerbacker Classic

Postby Roland

The Draw for the First Round in Leeds

Elliot Slessor v John Astley

Roland ‘The Shuttle’ Cox v Sean Hopkin

Allan ‘The Albino Assassin’ Taylor v Sydney Wilson

Michael Rhodes v Craig Steadman

Gareth Allen v James ‘Shoot to’ Kilmartin

Ryan Causton v Antony Parsons

Jamie Barrett v Matthew Samples

Alex Taubman v Jack ‘The Brad’ Bradford

---

Had I looked at the names I would've hoped for Gareth Allen, Alex Taubman, Allan Taylor, Syd Wilson or Craig Steadman

Postby Wildey

killamabob wrote:so I've drawn one of the big guns then?!

no Gareth Allen :redneck:

Postby gaz147

Wild wrote:
killamabob wrote:so I've drawn one of the big guns then?!

no Gareth Allen :redneck:

Haha brilliant!

Ey Wildey, I had 25 today. 1 more than usual. It wasn't a fluke either :fart:

Postby markj147

Sonny, you have a cracking player there. Fiery lad but nice prospect is Sean. Should be a good attacking match. Only 15 but has match centuries to his name around Notts.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Should be a quick 4-0 defeat then :redneck:

rofl

Postby markj147

He can miss and a good safety game can frustrate him. plus he has been asking me who you are so he is concerned pre match.:)

Postby Roland

I'm only going along for the ride after the Pink Ribbon although I am playing a lot better than then because I was only about a couple of weeks into getting back into it back in June after about 5 years off. Main thing is to support the Snookerbacker, I was originally going to be a floating ref but I don't think he needs me now. :chin:

I guess I should tie young Sean up but the trouble is I prefer to go for everything and keep it open so that's probably what I'll do.

Postby PLtheRef

Sonny wrote:I'm only going along for the ride after the Pink Ribbon although I am playing a lot better than then because I was only about a couple of weeks into getting back into it back in June after about 5 years off. Main thing is to support the Snookerbacker, I was originally going to be a floating ref but I don't think he needs me now. :chin:

I guess I should tie young Sean up but the trouble is I prefer to go for everything and keep it open so that's probably what I'll do.

Anymore than the three of us?

Postby Roland

I dunno Paddy, but he said he was sorted when I asked if I was going to get a floating ref t-shirt then lapped you up when you offered your services. I don't mind reffing. I don't like reffing in hour long local league frames between grinders or hackers but when you've got great players to watch, which all of them in the SB Classic are, then I love spotting for them. Obviously I know the rules as well.

Postby Roland

We're all set. Well, a bit more practice tonight but then it's all systems go for the 4-0 defeat inside half an hour. I'll be on the @snookerisland twitter feed for the day so stay tuned. Really looking forward to watching these young amateurs again.

Postby Wildey

dont know about quick but the score was 4-0 defeat

Roland ‘The Shuttle’ Cox 0-4 Sean Hopkin

Postby Wildey

Last 16

Elliot Slessor 4-3 John Astley
Allan ‘The Albino Assassin’ Taylor W/O Sydney Wilson
Michael Rhodes 4-3 Craig Steadman
Gareth Allen 4-0 James ‘Shoot to’ Kilmartin
Ryan Causton 4-1 Antony Parsons
Jamie Barrett 4-0 Matthew Samples
Alex Taubman 0-4 Jack ‘The Brad’ Bradford

Postby markj147

Sonny wrote:We're all set. Well, a bit more practice tonight but then it's all systems go for the 4-0 defeat inside half an hour. I'll be on the @snookerisland twitter feed for the day so stay tuned. Really looking forward to watching these young amateurs again.

Check for dodgy betting patterns on this score line!!!!! ;)

Postby Wildey

markj147 wrote:
Sonny wrote:We're all set. Well, a bit more practice tonight but then it's all systems go for the 4-0 defeat inside half an hour. I'll be on the @snookerisland twitter feed for the day so stay tuned. Really looking forward to watching these young amateurs again.

Check for dodgy betting patterns on this score line!!!!! ;)

rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

Round 2

Elliot Slessor 4-0 Sean Hopkin
Allan Taylor 4-3 Michael Rhodes
Gareth Allen 2-4 Ryan Causton
Jamie Barrett 4-2 Jack Bradford

Round 3

Elliot Slessor v Allan Taylor
Ryan Causton v Jamie Barrett

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Allans feedback on the event: "This is exciting!"

not Snookerbacker fixed it for me :john: <laugh>

Postby Roland

Wild wrote:

dont know about quick but the score was 4-0 defeat

3 of the frames went down to blue or pink, fair play to him. I had him on the ropes in one of the frames, a 20 odd point lead and kept leaving him in snookers and he found a way to turn it back onto me when I felt in control. If I'd got to 1-1 who knows, I'd probably still have lost but when he went 2-0 he blew me away in the next. Last shot I played was a really thin clip safety and I played it almost as good as I could but left the red on by a couple of millimeters and he cleaned up. The lad Slessor destroyed him in the next, Paddy can tell you about that because he reffed it, think he had breaks of 60, 70, 80 and 90.

Performance of the day goes to Allan Taylor, 3-0 down to Rhodes who was looking seriously good and he turned it around and won 4-3. Seriously, if you'd seen how well the lad played to get to 3-0 it speaks volumes for Taylor that he managed to change the match around.

Postby PLtheRef

Very high standard all the way through the competition with plenty of 50+ breaks in addition to a 127 from Jamie Barrett, one of the finals qualifiers and 108 from Craig Steadman.

Roving referee (overseeing four tables) early on but As Sonny said I refereed one of the second round matches between Slessor and Hopkin, both really good youngsters. One of the best standards I've refereed from both players with Elliot slotting in breaks of 65, 77, 96 and 85 to win the game in around 25 minutes. I felt really sorry for Sean though who did very little wrong and made hardly any mistakes at all. Like I said one of the best matches I've refereed.

Great to meet Snookerbacker and Mrs SB, both thoroughly down to earth genuine nice people and thoroughly enjoyed working at this event. Hoping to go down to Gloucester in January for another leg.

Postby Wildey

so after Snooker Backer Classic 1 which saw Allan Taylor and Jamie Barret Go Through to the Play Offs in Gloucester its time for the Second event from Gloucester

all matches are Best of 7 frames

DRAW

LAST 32

Kashif Khan 0-4 Andy Neck
Sydney Wilson scr Antony Parsons w/o
James Burrett v Martin O’Donnell
Marianne Williams 0-4 Gareth Allen
Sean Hopkin v Tom Doggett
Ryan Causton 4-0 Jack Morgan
Craig Scotford 3-4 Gary Weeks
Ben Fortey 1-4 Ben Harrison
Nick Pearce 4-3 Ricky Norris
Kyren Wilson v Gavin Lewis
David Gray v Neal Jones
Marc Harman v Paul Mount
Jamie Clarke 4-1 Thomas Goldstein
Callum Lloyd 4-0 Brandon Winstone
Steve Winstone v Michael Wasley
Matthew Day v Phil O’Kane

Live Streaming of Arena Table http://www.snookerbacker.com/test/

Postby roy142857

Only a small field in Dublin, a bit disappointing really, but maybe players put off by who entered (or maybe the need to go to Gloucester for the finals?), as the players who have entered are of high quality.

For those not checking the snookerbacker site for results, results so far:

Joe Delaney beat Robert Bell 4-0
Johnny Williams beat Ray Whelan 4-0
John Sutton beat Andrew Doherty 4-1
Keith Sheldreck beat Robbie Redmond 4-2

So Joe Delaney and Johhny Williams will play off for one place in the finals, whilst John Sutton will play Keith Sheldreck for the other place.

Postby Roland

Correction, it was 3-0 but is now 3-1.

Sheldreck has taken the opener against Sutton in the other final