Topic locked

Championship League Group 4 !!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 25th and Thursday 26th of January at Crondon Park, Essex

Group 1 Winner Judd Trump
Group 2 Winner Shaun Murphy
Group 3 Winner Neil Robertson

So now its Group 4 who will progress from these next 2 Days ?

Selby yet again Lost in the Final for the second Time can he Get in to the Championship League Winners Group this time ?

Group 4 Players

Mark Selby
Mark Davis
Matthew Stevens
Jamie Cope
Mark Allen
Stephen Lee
Peter Ebdon

DRAW

Re: Championship League Group 4 !!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 25th of January

11am
Mark Selby v Matthew Stevens
Mark Davis v Jamie Cope

12.15pm
Mark Allen v Stephen Lee
Peter Ebdon v Mark Selby

Not before 2pm
Matthew Stevens v Mark Davis
Jamie Cope v Mark Allen

3.15pm
Stephen Lee v Peter Ebdon
Mark Selby v Mark Davis

Not before 6pm
Matthew Stevens v Jamie Cope
Mark Allen v Peter Ebdon

7.15pm
Mark Davis v Peter Ebdon
Stephen Lee v Jamie Cope

Thursday 26th of January

11am
Mark Selby v Stephen Lee
Matthew Stevens v Mark Allen

12.15pm
Jamie Cope v Peter Ebdon
Mark Davis v Stephen Lee

Not before 2pm
Matthew Stevens v Peter Ebdon
Mark Selby v Mark Allen

3.15pm
Mark Davis v Mark Allen
Matthew Stevens v Stephen Lee

4.30pm
Mark Selby v Jamie Cope

Not before 6pm
Play-off
First v fourth
Second v third

7.15pm
Final

Postby Monique

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Selby is by far the best player in that group.

Selby has dominated the league in every of the three previous groups and has been unable to convert his performance into a win in any of them. That's the basic line and you have to wonder …

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Selby is by far the best player in that group.

Selby has dominated the league in every of the three previous groups and has been unable to convert his performance into a win in any of them. That's the basic line and you have to wonder …

Maybe Sonny was right. Selby is trying to pick up some cash, before his inevitable win.

Postby Wildey

Well Selby has won more cash from CL this season than Trump,Murphy or Robertson so hes doing something right

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:Well Selby has won more cash from CL this season than Trump,Murphy or Robertson so hes doing something right

He'll probably not win any of the Leagues, and get into the PL anyway. rofl

Postby Witz78

With integrity supposedly high on the agenda the CL format should be tweaked to eliminate any suspicions that players would partake in such a heinous act.
Obvious one is to have 7 groups of 4 which are seeded, play each twice and only the winner progresses to final group. The rest go home and a fresh group of 4 players try their luck in the next group.
Or even better scrap the CL completely and play another UK ranker instead.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:With integrity supposedly high on the agenda the CL format should be tweaked to eliminate any suspicions that players would partake in such a heinous act.
Obvious one is to have 7 groups of 4 which are seeded, play each twice and only the winner progresses to final group. The rest go home and a fresh group of 4 players try their luck in the next group.
Or even better scrap the CL completely and play another UK ranker instead.

To be fair, I think this is more of a Sonny excuse than a Selby misdeed. rofl

But still, I don't think any of us would complain if the CL went away and a new ranking event replaced it.

Postby Casey

It wouldn't bother me on bit if a player threw a frame or two in this event so they could go into the next group rather than the winners group.

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:It wouldn't bother me on bit if a player threw a frame or two in this event so they could go into the next group rather than the winners group.

Well, thats the kinda answer wed expect from a Higgins fan like you....

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:It wouldn't bother me on bit if a player threw a frame or two in this event so they could go into the next group rather than the winners group.

Well, thats the kinda answer wed expect from a Higgins fan like you....

:stir:

Postby GJ

I think with germany , wales and world open coming up + ptc fimals do the players really need too much other snooker

So this will do selby no favours for the events coming up

Postby Casey

GJ wrote:I think with germany , wales and world open coming up + ptc fimals do the players really need too much other snooker

Seriously though, what incentive would there be for players who have already qualified for the PL to win through to the winners group when group 3 and 4 are back to back?

I would like Allen to get through to the winners group, but he isn't at a stage were by he can pass up the opportunity unlike some of the other top players.

If punters want to put money on these matches then they are fools.

Postby GJ

Casey wrote:
GJ wrote:I think with germany , wales and world open coming up + ptc fimals do the players really need too much other snooker

Seriously though, what incentive would there be for players who have already qualified for the PL to win through to the winners group when group 3 and 4 are back to back?

I would like Allen to get through to the winners group, but he isn't at a stage were by he can pass up the opportunity unlike some of the other top players.

If punters want to put money on these matches then they are fools.

Fair point mate it depends on each player , it will help Allen IMO

But selby plays far too much as it is and he cant keep a consisent level up in the bigger events as shown recently

Postby Witz78

Who says Selby will def be in the PL tho?
10 in it this season and he never made it, back down to 7 again next so the CL prob about Wiggys best chance, given his dire record in the main events.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:

Fair point mate it depends on each player , it will help Allen IMO

But selby plays far too much as it is and he cant keep a consisent level up in the bigger events as shown recently

Probably a fair point, and you could argue that two rankers and two Masters is a poor return for somebody who is World Number 1. But I find it hard to criticise a player for wanting to play a lot.

Postby Wildey

i think thats a good point infact Selby will be in the PL hes made a few Quid and hes had Match Practice he should take a breather now get ready for the Ranking onslaught to come.

German Masters
Welsh Open
World Open
PTC Grand Finals
China Open
World Championship

6 Ranking Events in 3 Months.

4 of them not actually on British soil.

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:Who says Selby will def be in the PL tho?
10 in it this season and he never made it, back down to 7 again next so the CL prob about Wiggys best chance, given his dire record in the main events.

He is a ranking winner this year though and is World number 1

Postby Casey

Already in the PL for sure -

Ronnie
Trump
Robbo
CL winner
WC

Chances are that the WC will win one of this seasons other events - Selby will get the nod ahead of Bingham.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:

witz is talking through his bottom again of course selby will be there if jimmy won bullocks got there on the strength of old farts cup.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:

witz is talking through his bottom again of course selby will be there if jimmy won bullocks got there on the strength of old farts cup.

Doh. Your the one talking bullocks as usual mate.
10 in PL last yr and Jimmy got the nod ahead of Selby when im sure everyone would have bet their last penny on Selby being in PL, so what makes you so certain Selbys def already in a 7 man PL next season.
Im sure Higgins and Ding will be the 1st two wildcard options should they fail to win WC or CL so with Ronnie, Trump and Robbo already in PL next year, assuming none of them win WC or CL then Selby has to win one to get in.
Ding a stick on for tv rights purposes.
Higgins a total cert too.

Postby Wildey

Selby has won 3 Tournaments already this season and will Definitly finish the season NO 1.

Postby Witz78

Hes won 1 proper tournament out of the 4 played so far this
season. And theres no way you can say hell def finish the season as number 1. Likes of trump etc can easy catch him. Still 37,000pts up for grabs this season so a bit early to jump to conclusions.
Anyway thinking about a potential PL line up and assuming Ronnie, Judd and Robbo are already in, then my ideal line up would also have Ding, Higgins, SELBY and Murphy/Williams in it.

Postby Wildey

Wednesday 25th of January

Results
Mark Selby 3-2 Matthew Stevens
Mark Davis 3-1 Jamie Cope
Mark Allen 3-1 Stephen Lee
Peter Ebdon 0-3 Mark Selby
Matthew Stevens 2-3 Mark Davis
Jamie Cope 3-2 Mark Allen

3.15pm
Stephen Lee v Peter Ebdon
Mark Selby v Mark Davis

Not before 6pm
Matthew Stevens v Jamie Cope
Mark Allen v Peter Ebdon

7.15pm
Mark Davis v Peter Ebdon
Stephen Lee v Jamie Cope

Postby Roland

Muppet147 wrote:There is no big deal about being number one. As with golf and women's tennis, the number one rarely wins anything.

I know, that's why they're number 1.

Postby Andre147

Casey wrote:Where do you get the results for this Wild?

Simple... go to www.snooker or the Championhip League website itself, on the results section....

I know you didn´t ask me, but I´ll just save some trouble for Wild answering... :-) :-) rofl rofl