Topic locked

BBC Schedule ...

Postby Monique

So we have Ronnie vs Judd , tie of the round in most people's eyes, today at 12h30 UK times, 13:30 CET. This means that most people who work or are at school won't be able to watch it. Many fans ask themselves why not put that match in the evening? Well BBC isn't showing the evening matches live at all… you've got the highlights in the middle of the night and that's basically it.
I'm expecting them - BBC - to come back later and tell us that snooker is only watched by old people and that the audience is dropping. What do they expect with those schedules? They will come and dictate formats and schedules on the basis that snooker needs their money, which unfortunately is (still) true, only probably to further reduce their coverage next season.
To attract young people and sponsors , snooker needs to be shown a peak hours. Eurosport coverage, for all its fault, is much better than BBC on this ground. Time for looking closely at contracts and maybe accept some changes in habits? No more finals sessions starting at 8pm UK time (when it's 9pm or 10 pm in Europe) and no more major matches played on "Bank holidays" when mainland Europeans are working in exchange for decent coverage when most people and youngsters are at home and have the opportunity to watch?

Re: BBC Schedule ...

Postby Roland

What do you mean "for all its faults?" Eurosport is great, I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:What do you mean "for all its faults?" Eurosport is great, I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it.

some though complain about it.

regarding tis topic totally agree with you mon whitch in it self is a shock lol

Postby Witz78

Suddenly just cutting off during the snooker in favour of cycling or tennis?
Mike Smith and Double J?
I agree with Mon, im sick of the BBC. Bar the WC where pre-determined schedule dictates session / match times, has Ronnie EVER played a nite time match during the week on the BBC? Judds going the same way too now hes a big draw. Sickens me that i wont see this one but hardly a surprise anymore. Why dont the Beeb wipe their crappy BBC2 schedule for 1 week and show the best games live at night. Why pay for rights to an event then not maximise their return and benefits? Theyd get a shock if they did, as i suspect viewing figures would be high. Bear in mind that lots of people dont have Sky Sports so dont get to see much live sport so would be keen to watch some rare live terrestial tv sport.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Suddenly just cutting off during the snooker in favour of cycling or tennis?
Mike Smith and Double J?
I agree with Mon, im sick of the BBC. Bar the WC where pre-determined schedule dictates session / match times, has Ronnie EVER played a nite time match during the week on the BBC? Judds going the same way too now hes a big draw. Sickens me that i wont see this one but hardly a surprise anymore. Why dont the Beeb wipe their crappy BBC2 schedule for 1 week and show the best games live at night. Why pay for rights to an event then not maximise their return and benefits? Theyd get a shock if they did, as i suspect viewing figures would be high. Bear in mind that lots of people dont have Sky Sports so dont get to see much live sport so would be keen to watch some rare live terrestial tv sport.

This post just got mentioned on twitter.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:What do you mean "for all its faults?" Eurosport is great, I love it and wouldn't change a thing about it.

The fact that they don't stick to their schedules can be irritating especially when you don't have the opportunity to watch and try to record things. Also Eurosport coverage and commentary vary from country to country and so not everyone has the same experience or doesn't get to see the same things. In Belgium I can watch Eurosport in French or Dutch, but the French rarely show the snooker and their commentators are absolutely terrible, so it's Dutch for me. No problem with the language but I still would prefer it in English.
A bit off topic but just to answer your question.

Postby Roland

Spot on about Ronnie never playing evening sessions during the week in BBC tournaments.

Not about Eurosport though, at least they show highlights after the next programme if they have to cut a match short, and at least when they do cut a match short it's because they are showing more live sport they are contracted to show.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Spot on about Ronnie never playing evening sessions during the week in BBC tournaments.

Not about Eurosport though, at least they show highlights after the next programme if they have to cut a match short, and at least when they do cut a match short it's because they are showing more live sport they are contracted to show.

yea not repeated rubbish <ok>

Postby Roland

Monique wrote:

The fact that they don't stick to their schedules can be irritating especially when you don't have the opportunity to watch and try to record things. Also Eurosport coverage and commentary vary from country to country and so not everyone has the same experience or doesn't get to see the same things. In Belgium I can watch Eurosport in French or Dutch, but the French rarely show the snooker and their commentators are absolutely terrible, so it's Dutch for me. No problem with the language but I still would prefer it in English.
A bit off topic but just to answer your question.

Yes I'm not as experienced as you in ES coverage on the continent. At least they have more channels these days and broadcast snooker in HD and have an internet player.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Spot on about Ronnie never playing evening sessions during the week in BBC tournaments.

yea not repeated rubbish <ok>

Hairy Bikers hatah! :grrr:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Suddenly just cutting off during the snooker in favour of cycling or tennis?
Mike Smith and Double J?

This post just got mentioned on twitter.

Elaborate please Russel Grant!

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Elaborate please Russel Grant!

snookerisland Snooker Island
Witz makes a good point on Snooker Island - during weekday snooker, does Ronnie O'Sullivan ever play an evening session?

snookerisland Snooker Island
The BBC dictate the schedule but box office players deserve to be seen by the masses no?

Postby Witz78

My comment was copyrighted.
I hereby issue a Fatwah onto Sonny and all who know him.
Right sod this, better actually go and do some 'work'

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:My comment was copyrighted.

First time for everything.

Postby sundaygirl

I thinks that for the sake of tickets sales at venues they put box office players on during the day people are prepared to take holiday to see them and by filling up the afternoon probably get a few more to stay all day.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I thinks that for the sake of tickets sales at venues they put box office players on during the day people are prepared to take holiday to see them and by filling up the afternoon probably get a few more to stay all day.

This is a fair point. I would bet it wasn't a coincedence that Ronnie was always on during the day. Trump will probably start having the same problem.

Postby Witz78

Nah your either going to an event or you aint. U dont just say 'oh ronnies playing 2mora afternoon, am takin the day off work at short notice'

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:My comment was copyrighted.

First time for everything.

Wont be for you tho.....unless you pay for it :D

Postby sundaygirl

Should have put "take holiday" some will pull a sickie, some have flexible working hours etc. People leaving Ronnies match Sunday will have brought tickets and sorted it out later swapped shifts with a mate etc.
People will make time to see Ronnie and Judd most other matches will only be watched if it is convenient or by people like us.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Should have put "take holiday" some will pull a sickie, some have flexible working hours etc. People leaving Ronnies match Sunday will have brought tickets and sorted it out later swapped shifts with a mate etc.
People will make time to see Ronnie and Judd most other matches will only be watched if it is convenient or by people like us.

Yes. How many tickets would've been sold for Carter vs Dott had it been an afternoon match? Not as many as will be sold for Ronnie vs Judd, whatever time you put it on.

Postby Monique

sundaygirl wrote:I thinks that for the sake of tickets sales at venues they put box office players on during the day people are prepared to take holiday to see them and by filling up the afternoon probably get a few more to stay all day.

This could be a reason why "box office" matches are scheduled during the day time but it doesn't explain why BBC is not showing the evening matches, when most people are at home, including young people. For what I know the matches schedules are decided between the tournament director and the main broadcaster, not the venue managers.

Postby sundaygirl

The BBC want full crowds in any matches they show.
When we went to Wembly Arena people were asked to move seats to make it look busier than it was.

Postby sundaygirl

Plus more people in the audience = more mums at home watching just to see their darling boy on telly in the snooker T-shirt they brought him for Christmas He he

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Plus more people in the audience = more mums at home watching just to see their darling boy on telly in the snooker T-shirt they brought him for Christmas He he

buck off. rofl

That bird who was chatting me and my T-Shirt up weren't my mum. Easy mistake granted her age, mind. :emb:

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:The BBC want full crowds in any matches they show.
When we went to Wembly Arena people were asked to move seats to make it look busier than it was.

They do that at the Premier League sometimes too. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Nah your either going to an event or you aint. U dont just say 'oh ronnies playing 2mora afternoon, am takin the day off work at short notice'

yea but you just might do that to watch on THE BBC...

however its short sighted bullocks...

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Nah your either going to an event or you aint. U dont just say 'oh ronnies playing 2mora afternoon, am takin the day off work at short notice'

yea but you just might do that to watch on THE BBC...

however its short sighted bullocks...

I wouldn't want to put contant lenses in there.

Postby sundaygirl

I totally agree with the points being made about what SHOULD be done in the best interests of snooker. However the BBC naturally have their own agenda. They barely care what license payers think never mind europeans.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:

This could be a reason why "box office" matches are scheduled during the day time but it doesn't explain why BBC is not showing the evening matches, when most people are at home, including young people. For what I know the matches schedules are decided between the tournament director and the main broadcaster, not the venue managers.

All too true Monique. It's a real shame and I bet Ronnie and Judd would much prefer playing in front of a night crowd.

Also 8.pm is way to late to start night sessions. Football in this Country can start as early as 7.30pm, no reason why snooker can't start at that time, or even 7pm.

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:I totally agree with the points being made about what SHOULD be done in the best interests of snooker. However the BBC naturally have their own agenda. They barely care what license payers think never mind europeans.

not only snooker but the BBC

tonights BBC Schedule

7-7.30pm DRAGONS EYE (pip Breast Transplant) Load of Tit if ever there was
7.30-8pm SNOOKER
8.30-9pm EDWARD VII PRINCE OF PLEASURE (about king bloody Edward)
9pm-10pm PUTIN,RUSSIA AND THE WEST (documentary about Putin meeting George Bush in 2001)

buck me what a load of rubbish from years gone by waiting a bucking week to show them wouldnt be too bloody bad would it.

show Ronnie v Trump 7-10 better audiences.