Post a reply

Dave H on the draw...

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... -then.html
SO THIS DRAW, THEN
Ronnie O’Sullivan’s first round tie with Liang Wenbo looks tough on paper but the match will be played on the green baize and I don’t think it’s the worst draw O’Sullivan could have got.

He’s never lost to Liang, has beaten him at the Crucible before and beat him in a final this season.

That’s not to say it’s an easy draw but at least Ronnie knows how he plays and is more than capable of taking him on again. He’d have been relieved to avoid the likes of Graeme Dott, who has a very good record against him in recent times.

Two matches stand out for me: Stephen Hendry v Zhang Anda and Mark Selby v Ken Doherty.

Like O’Sullivan v Liang, they both take place in what will from now on be known as ‘the quarter of death’.

Hendry will know hardly anything about his 18 year-old opponent and the unknown quantity could cause him problems. Zhang is the only player in the tournament who won’t fully comprehend how special the Crucible is.

However, few debutants ever do well and Hendry has played some good stuff in Sheffield for the last two years.

Neither Selby or Doherty would have wanted to draw each other. Doherty won their last meeting at this season’s Grand Prix and is back playing to a high standard.

Selby knows that if is to be world champion this year he will have to do it the hard way: Doherty then possibly Hendry and O’Sullivan just to get into the semi-finals.

John Higgins, the defending champion, is not a certainty to beat Barry Hawkins, one of those players well capable of causing an upset even though he’s yet to win a match at the Crucible.

Even so, Higgins fans will already be plotting his course through to the quarter-finals, where Neil Robertson looks his likely opponent.

All in all it’s an interesting draw that will take a bit more careful study before I for one make any clear predictions about who is going to win the thing.

Re: Dave H on the draw...

Postby GJ

great draw :D <cool>

Postby Casey

Pretty much spot on from Dave, there were far worse draws out there for Ronnie but he will be given a good game.

I am a bit gutted for Doherty, a very tough draw and I wish he had gotten an easier. Although on the other hand I will be there to see the second session of that match so that will be class <cool>

Postby Roland

Yeah, the last couple of frames from 8-1 to Selby

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:Yeah, the last couple of frames from 8-1 to Selby

<laugh> na I will say the final score will be 10-6ish Selby

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:10-3, 10-4 something like that

Really? Ken never really ever got hammered at the crucible, his game play should bring him at least 5.

Postby Roland

I think Selby's loss to him in the Grand Prix will stand him in good stead. He took his foot off the gas when he should have put the hammer down. I'm seriously expecting a heavy victory with no foot off pedal antics from Selby.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:yes i think doherty's experiance and current return to form will be on his side and i think 10-8 or 10-9 win

ken playing better than last season by a long way however 19 frames at the crucible against Selby will find him out and i expect a 10-7 or 10-6 Selby.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:yes i think doherty's experiance and current return to form will be on his side and i think 10-8 or 10-9 win

ken playing better than last season by a long way however 19 frames at the crucible against Selby will find him out and i expect a 10-7 or 10-6 Selby.

whoever wins it will be a very close encounter

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think it's a foregone conclusion for Selby. Doherty did beat him once already this year.

doherty is defo gonna win but it will be close

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think it's a foregone conclusion for Selby. Doherty did beat him once already this year.

ken is tough and hes playing much better this season but when all said and done if selby has any hope these are the matches he has to win convincingly on the bigger stage. it aint going to get easier in the other rounds.

Postby Roland

Doherty has got no chance, trust me.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:Doherty has got no chance, trust me.

where did i hear that before

:chin:

october 2009 cough cough

<laugh>

Postby Wildey

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Sonny wrote:Doherty has got no chance, trust me.

where did i hear that before

:chin:

october 2009 cough cough

<laugh>

rofl

the King is dead long live the King <laugh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

The Mark Selby v Ken Doherty WC Match is an intriguing match up. Agreed, BIG style. <ok>

It'll be won by who scores biggeest when in, as in most games of Snooker.

Who's that then? :chin: