Post a reply

Which event?

UK Championship
45%
Masters
55%

Total votes : 31

Which is the bigger tournament - Masters or UK?

Postby Roland

I'm sure this poll has been done before but it's time to do it again because since the last poll (if there was one) the format and location of the UK has changed. So which one do you rate as the more important? Which snooker player do you think has achieved the greater feat - UK Champion or Masters Champion? Vote now.

Re: Which is the bigger tournament - Masters or UK?

Postby Bourne

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would vote for the Masters tbh, the UK trumps it in just about every single way. Even the format thing that people have been moaning about, it's still longer than the Masters. If the Masters had the sort of revamp that I have talked about a coupla months ago then maybe it could start to compete, but for now it's starting to lag behind one or two of the other exhos like the Shootout which was incredibly well received after one weekend.

Postby Roland

The arguement for the Masters is that only the best take part. Also every match takes centre stage, it has history and usually big crowds.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:The arguement for the Masters is that only the best take part. Also every match takes centre stage, it has history and usually big crowds.

Meh York had big crowds in December, Wembley the last few years was little different to a morgue tbh, bar the evening session in the final ...

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Snookerbacker is doing the same on Twitter and it's 16-13 to the Masters on there.

yup its very close between them even before reduction in format.

Postby Bourne

If the Masters gains a bit more identity then I might consider it a close run thing but tbh now it's just an exho with the same 16 players we see in every other tournament in an inconvenient place in the calendar. The venue change is a start but it's not a quick fix.

Postby Roland

I think if they hadn't knocked the original Wembley Conference Centre down and the Masters was still there and if the UK was still in Telford it would be a no-brainer and the Masters would be the bigger event. As it stands though, it's the UK for me but it's a close run thing.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I think if they hadn't knocked the original Wembley Conference Centre down and the Masters was still there and if the UK was still in Telford it would be a no-brainer and the Masters would be the bigger event. As it stands though, it's the UK for me but it's a close run thing.

so far the only venue in this country ive seen to move the WC to a bigger venue has been the conference centre that was a awsome venue

Postby SnookerFan

You know what is sad? I don't feel I have that much of an opinion any more on what is the bigger event. The format change at the UK has made them so similar in my eyes, I can't pick one.

That's not to say either is bad, or I don't like them. I couldn't pick my favourite between the Shanghai Master or the China Open either. But you feel two of the three majors should have their own sense of identity. Really the impression I got of the UK was that it was just a ranking event similar to The Masters, but with qualifiers. Which is a bit of a shame.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:If the Masters gains a bit more identity then I might consider it a close run thing but tbh now it's just an exho with the same 16 players we see in every other tournament in an inconvenient place in the calendar. The venue change is a start but it's not a quick fix.

If it was winner takes all £300k first prize, that would change a few things :-)

Postby Bourne

Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:If the Masters gains a bit more identity then I might consider it a close run thing but tbh now it's just an exho with the same 16 players we see in every other tournament in an inconvenient place in the calendar. The venue change is a start but it's not a quick fix.

If it was winner takes all £300k first prize, that would change a few things :-)

Yeh that would be interesting, like the big brother of snooker :D

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
Casey wrote:

Yeh that would be interesting, like the big brother of snooker :D

That's what we need in life. More things like Big Brother. :roll:

Postby Witz78

as crap as the Masters is IMO, with the new venue and only the elite it wins for me.

Also 150k to winner as opposed to 100k in the UK, money talks.

The UK has not only lost prestige and importance because of the format reduction but also because of the amount of ranking points available over the season, it (and the WC) are no longer as significant to the rankings, so this takes further edge of the UK

Postby Muppet147

mediter wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:UK is the bigger and better tournament, though the first to 6 format is crap.

I highly doubt you are a fan or friend of snooker. This sport ain´t for muppets. So stfu

Don't tell me to stfu, you little ingrate. I've as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.

Postby Witz78

Muppet147 wrote:
mediter wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:UK is the bigger and better tournament, though the first to 6 format is crap.

I highly doubt you are a fan or friend of snooker. This sport ain´t for muppets. So stfu

Don't tell me to stfu, you little ingrate. I've as much right to express my opinion as anyone else.

You Go Girl :hatoff:

Postby John From London Town

Witz78 wrote:
John From London Town wrote:Fair question. Which one carries the biggest prize money?

UK 100k :fart:

Masters 150k :bowdown:

Cheers. Not sure I'd dismiss £100k that easily but money still talks, I agree with that.
The UK has taken a knock, still a fabulous final mind you but from a player perspective, & the honour, including poke, rolled up into one, I'd say The Masters has put its nose in front due to it being the Top 16.
& if I'm right in saying, this is the first Masters with a rolling ranking in place. That, for me, places a bit more significance on which is the bigger tournament.
The rolling ranking system/timing is good, could get better.

Thanks. :hatoff:

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:Last year was the first rolling ranking Masters and it was the worst Masters in a generation.

Agree up till friday it was ok from friday evening it was awful :gag:
Last edited by GJ on 11 Jan 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

It's becoming harder to judge as the tournaments polarise themselves together in terms of format. A sense forged in December when we saw what was almost a Masters field contest the UK crown from the second round onwards.

I don't like the feeling I have but I do feel that the Masters' since it left the WCC it doesn't feel as special, excitable within me. I preferred the February date, as the final

Personally I do think that the Masters could be improved. Just having the field of 16 contesting does make it unique, but doesn't guarantee fantastic tournaments. Last year and 2008 were not classic Masters. If they made changes to the tournament and reinstated wildcards it m

Still, doesnt stop me from looking forward to it though.

Postby Bourne

Having a field of 16 makes it a little bit more unique than a regular dull ranker like Shanghai or the Welsh, a field of 8 makes it properly unique and stands out from the crowd.

Postby John From London Town

Bourne wrote:Last year was the first rolling ranking Masters and it was the worst Masters in a generation.

Spectacle wise, I agree. But it’s not all about us, is it.
Marco Fu against Ding, might not of been our cup of tea but there is others who might disagree Asian wise.
I looked at the final, the comp, Mark Allen as well, who should have been in the final so ‘Global Snooker speaking, it weren’t that bad fella.
IMO that is. :chuckle:
(I Love that emoticon) #Peace