Topic locked

Re: P T C 12 (Acaden Shopping Open) !!!!!!

Postby hendry_fan

Bourne wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:*Stephen Maguire* 4-0 Andrew Higginson

Higginson was steamrolled there,he finished on a 70% pot success,aye,super high standards these days!. :chuckle:

Stephen Hendry v Michael Holt

:-D Come on Hendry,give that "hitman" sumthin to grumble about!. :-D

Yeh Higginson is the first example anyone would use in the standards debate :chuckle:

If you,ve even bovered to watch snooker lately you will full well know that the standard has not been as high as some like to portray it,many players,includin the top 8 have,nt been that great,most of them have been makin many mistakes,they lose position a lot and they need numerous chances to clinch frames!.

*Stephen Hendry* 4-3 Michael Holt

This match is another eg of the mediocre standard we sometimes see these days and what we,ve sometimes seen of late
Both players played very mediocre indeed,both were over par!.

Not only did Hendry give Holt sumthin to grumble about,Holt gave himself sumthin to grumble about,no wonder the way he played tonight. <laugh> ;-)

:party: :-D Nonetheless,Hendry won and he,s now in the semi-final. :-D :party:

YES,YES,YESSSSSSSS, :clap: Well done Stephen,once again holds himself together and wins a decider. :clap:

:-) :wine: Catch you all tomorrow. :wine: :-)

Postby mediter

SnookerFan wrote:And Stephen Hendry goes marching on! :D

Oh Yeah !!! So glad Hendry playing well. Don´t know the draw, but Maguire vs Hendry could and should be a fantastic match. Well, obviously nobody always plays their top-game, but I am telling you if Hendry will be more consistent this year again, it will be great for the game

Postby SnookerFan

mediter wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:And Stephen Hendry goes marching on! :D

Oh Yeah !!! So glad Hendry playing well. Don´t know the draw, but Maguire vs Hendry could and should be a fantastic match. Well, obviously nobody always plays their top-game, but I am telling you if Hendry will be more consistent this year again, it will be great for the game

I wonder how much last month's game will play in the mind of both men.

Postby Bourne

hendry_fan wrote:
Bourne wrote:

Higginson was steamrolled there,he finished on a 70% pot success,aye,super high standards these days!. :chuckle:

Yeh Higginson is the first example anyone would use in the standards debate :chuckle:

If you,ve even bovered to watch snooker lately you will full well know that the standard has not been as high as some like to portray it,many players,includin the top 8 have,nt been that great,most of them have been makin many mistakes,they lose position a lot and they need numerous chances to clinch frames!.

This match is another eg of the mediocre standard we sometimes see these days and what we,ve sometimes seen of late

Not only did Hendry give Holt sumthin to grumble about,Holt gave himself sumthin to grumble about,no wonder the way he played tonight. <laugh> ;-)

YES,YES,YESSSSSSSS, :clap: Well done Stephen,once again holds himself together and wins a decider. :clap:

If you read any of my posts on snooker you'd realise I couldn't give a monkey's toss about the standards 'debate', but I stand by the point on Higginson as he's a useless example to use. What is he now anyway, 40 odd in the world ? I doubt anyone here, even wild, could name someone ranked 4oth 20 years ago :spot on:

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:If you read any of my posts on snooker you'd realise I couldn't give a monkey's toss about the standards 'debate', but I stand by the point on Higginson as he's a useless example to use. What is he now anyway, 40 odd in the world ? I doubt anyone here, even wild, could name someone ranked 4oth 20 years ago :spot on:

So, what you're saying is that if we made a name up and claimed it was somebody ranked 42nd in the world in 1992, you wouldn't know if we were right or not?

Postby Andre147

Bourne wrote:
hendry_fan wrote:
Bourne wrote:

If you read any of my posts on snooker you'd realise I couldn't give a monkey's toss about the standards 'debate', but I stand by the point on Higginson as he's a useless example to use. What is he now anyway, 40 odd in the world ? I doubt anyone here, even wild, could name someone ranked 4oth 20 years ago :spot on:

The whole point in here is that the standard in the top 16, but mainly in the top 8, has not got better since the end of the 90s, early 2000s, in fact it has reduced a litlle bit, but the standard outside that bracket has CERTAINLY got better and better.

Has you rightly say, some 20 odd years ago we could hardly name a player outside, say, the top 40... now all players are fairly known because the standard has been increasing significantly, in the past very rarely a player outside the top 32 or even in the top 32 itself could beat a player in the top 16, less so in the top 8... Now, it sometimes happens, even more in the ptc events....

All players say that the standard of snooker has never been better, and they are right, a player outside the top 32 could beat easily a player from the 80s for instance nowadays.... the whole point, as I said, is that the standard in the top 8 hanst increased since the times when the BIG 4 (Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Hendry) were dominating all the events.

Postby Wildey

Saturday 7th of January

8am

David Grace 3-4 Martin Gould

Aprox 10am

Stephen Maguire 4-1 David Gray

Quarter Finals

Aprox 12pm

Ricky Walden 1-4 Joe Perry

Aprox 2pm

Mark Allen 3-4 Martin Gould

5pm

Stephen Maguire 4-0 Andrew Higginson

7pm

Stephen Hendry 4-3 Michael Holt

Postby The Cueist

Well done HENDRY,I feel he was having to beat HOLTS run of the ball.

The standards debate,The standards are better,The tables are more difficult.Losing position in these tables is easy.

Top 16 standards are better overall,And the rest are more competitive,Thus more pressure equals more mistakes,Simples. :roll:

Come on Gouldy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:Well done HENDRY,I feel he was having to beat HOLTS run of the ball.

The standards debate,The standards are better,The tables are more difficult.Losing position in these tables is easy.

Top 16 standards are better overall,And the rest are more competitive,Thus more pressure equals more mistakes,Simples. :roll:

Come on Gouldy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

The standards debate = :zzz: Hendry vs Holt was an entertaining match, why are we whinging?

Postby Roland

Standardwise the big 4 is still the benchmark although Judd and Ding can push each other on to higher things in my opinion. Robbo and Selby have matched the big 4 standard in bursts.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:Hendry's last chance to win a pro title today imo. Maguire is playing very well though!

it would be amazing if hendry made the PTC Grand Finals lol

its between Hendry and Jack Lisowski for the final spot in the 24 man field in Galway

Postby Roland

That was a steal from Perry in the opener. Needed 3 snookers, Gould goes for a long red, missed, in off to middle pocket, red goes behind blue, free ball, Perry clears with some no nonsense potting.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:That was a steal from Perry in the opener. Needed 3 snookers, Gould goes for a long red, missed, in off to middle pocket, red goes behind blue, free ball, Perry clears with some no nonsense potting.

Yep, winning frames from snookers needed happens more and more these days.

Postby Roland

Perry didn't get the snooker though. 3 snookers needed, didn't get the snooker and won the frame. That doesn't happen very often.

Postby mediter

Perrymate !! One thing about Joe Perry snooker wise which always comes to my mind is how some years ago when he was playing Premier League, wasn´t he in UK-final and top-8 also, was his several shots when he was wrong side of the blue. I remember commentator was wandering how on earth can he control wrong-side shot blue that well. I was really impressed also ! It was not just millimeter precise positions after the shots, it were really really stylish and good-looking shots how he put spins on those shots ! Need to try to find some of those shots from youtube... I remember one particular premier league match between Perry and Hendry, and after that interviewer asked Hendry isn´t O´Sullivan or Selby man to beat this year, Hendry smiled and told "well, maybe Joe is a man to beat this year !" after those shots Perry played.

Postby Andre147

:happy: Hendry already 2-0 in front with one 90 plus break and a good century of 105... :-) :-) very well played from win, definately his best chance to win what could maybe be his last pro title, but, with this kind of form, you would expect him to at least win a few more :-)

Postby hendry_fan

Stephen Hendry v Stephen Maguire

:grrr: IM,ABSOLUTELY PI**ED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grrr: ,i,ve been havin problems with my internet connection since this morning,god knows why but luckily i,ve just managed to be able to get it workin again.

Now that i,ve got it working,there,s just a damn pic instead of the snooker on Lemon.tv!!!!!!.

<ok> If anyone has any other links that works,i would be very grateful if u could post it here. <ok>