Post a reply

What are your 2011 Snooker Memories?

Postby SnookerFan

So, now 2011 is near an end, I thought I’d ask what people’s favourite snooker memories were for the year. What in the snooker world stuck out for you this year, big or small? It can be a first match attended live, it can be the achievement of a player you liked or just a fantastic match you watched that’ll live long in your memory.

I’ll start us off with two memories of mine from 2011 that’ll live long with me. One somewhat bigger than the other, but all memories/tales are welcome.

The first being my day off earlier in the year to watch one of the days play in the China Open. I had Annual Leave to use, so picked a day when the China Open was on. I’d only just moved home a few weeks previously, and that’d been a hard process. So I thought I a day of watching snooker and chill-axing was in order.

The day I picked, almost at random was the day of Mark Williams vs Stephen Lee. Sitting down in my pyjamas at 6am I put the match on. And what a match it was. Mark Williams standard was about as high as it possibly can be without winning the match. 4 centuries and a 50-break in a best of nine. At one point he looked like he was going to run away with it, but Stephen Lee gritted in and won the match. One mistake in the deciding frame by Williams is what decided it. That match must’ve been the best bo9 match ever. Probably ranks up amongst the best matches under any format ever. I was honoured to say I watched it.

I then walked to the end of the road and got some fried chicken, and sat around whinging that the second match I wanted to see (Ding Junhui vs Kurt Maflin) wasn’t being shown. But hey, what a day.

The second memory of 2011 is somewhat bigger. I had tickets for all four sessions of the Crucible Final between John Higgins and Judd Trump. Classic match though that was, there was one memory that stuck with me over any other that weekend. The ovation at the start of the fourth session as both men walked out. Rob Walker had done his usual spiel about giving it the large so everybody watching at home knew you had the best seats in the house, but this was different. Nobody needed Rob Walker to tell us to enjoy it, we just did. The all time great vs the young lad who had lit up the tournament. The match had already been a classic, and we needed no more encouragement to show our enthusiasm. For anybody who says that snooker is boring, the crowds are only ever dreary or that fans want to see a whole match in one session, I provide that ovation as my rebuttal. It was genuine, and it was a pleasure to be there. When I got back home and looked on the internet, pretty much everybody on the internet forums were saying how much they’d have loved to have been there for that session.

So what about everybody else? What are your snooker memories from 2011?

Re: What are your 2011 Snooker Memories?

Postby Smart

Bit of a oddball response to this one for me. I had a bit of a gutsfull of snooker after the world champs concluded the way it did. So had the hump for most of the summer. However gradually the snooker at the back of my mind could not be ignored. The 2 best snooker moments (sorry cant split them).

1. 1st session ROS vs Dale (being there front row), it was special, just jaw dropping.

2. Going to Gloucester SWSA and having a great night and what made it special was that the mrs and little one enjoyed it, that was a big bonus.......as I was expecting to hear "can we go now". They enjoyed it, had a laugh and will go back.

<ok>

Postby The Cueist

Ronnie O's 147 ,Subliminal, :tree:

The lack of prize money protest was funny in itself :-D

He gee'd Hearn up with his personal displeasure at the change in prize money.

Was funny as you like. :-D

For me 147's are priceless and so is Ronnie. :hatoff:

The emergence of Trump as a major force in the game.UK FINAL :hatoff:

The way Trump beat a warey Robertson in the uk was a very good match and neither player would have deserved to lose. :D

Mark Allens spirited revival against an on fire Trump,Subliminal :hatoff: Best match of the year for me. :D

Martin Gould impressed me this year with his long potting prowess,He will emerge in the next few season,As a top player.Im sure his nerves will gradually learn to get used to the big stage and he will play his most natural game,As i dont think we have seen what he can do yet.

Other than those there as been a wholesale improvement in the game as a whole and this is due to Hearns new regime.

I am enjoying watching snooker again,What more can i say. :spot on: :-)

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:Ronnie O's 147 ,Subliminal, :tree:

The lack of prize money protest was funny in itself :-D

He gee'd Hearn up with his personal displeasure at the change in prize money.

Was funny as you like. :-D

For me 147's are priceless and so is Ronnie. :hatoff:

The time he got the 147 and whinged the whole time about prize money was in 2010, not 2011. :D

Postby SnookerFan

If we're refining it to great tournaments in 2011, how great was the Australian Open? I really enjoyed that.

The final was immense, another great match featuring Mark Williams losing. When Mark was one frame away from victory, how many people predicted he'd lose? The Stuart Bingham fightback was :bowdown:

Some people had even turned the match off as they saw the victory as a foregone conclusion.

Postby Wildey

Snooker memories as apose to Snooker Matches well The Tempodrom in Berlin where the German Masters was played was electrick for me that place is on a Par with the Crucible and the Higgins v Trump intruductions in the final session in sheffield was absalutly brilliant.

Matches that Stand out was Selbys performance vs Hendry in sheffield one chance snooker played perfectly and the Ding vs Trump World Semi final was superb.

i cant really remember shorter matches that well they blend in to each other that you cant really call them memrable.

Postby Monique

My 2011 best or more vivid snooker memories are "live" memories …

- Rory stealing the frame and match from Tony's hands at the shoot-out with THAT fluke ;-) and a very grumpy Tony afterwards in the press room
- the horrible feeling in Berlin when we were told that John Higgins had left unexpectedly and was heading home because he had got some bad news (we were told nothing specific at first)
- That guy being sick like no tomorrow in the arena in the PTC Grand Final during Selby v Williams. Mark S giggling uncontrollably, Mark J W looking as if he was about to be sick himself…
- Being on the floor when the players entered for the last session of the World Final at the Crucible. Goosebumps!
- Ronnie's 147 in Fürth and the crowd going delirious and he might have looked calm out there but he was soaked through at the end of it
- the atmosphere in Antwerp during the final - I think nobody wanted a loser in that match when it came to the decider.

Postby PLtheRef

Been a hectic 12 months on the snooker circuit both for the fans and the forum alike.

My two main highs were the World Championships - one of the busiest championships I've been to for a long while with me going to both semis and watching some thrilling matches - including Ding's terrific fightback from 12-8 behind to beat Bingham, the way Stuart had played had made it seem unlikely throughout. In addition two terrific semi-finals where the atmosphere on the Saturday evening was great. I've said its the best World Championship since 2005 and I'm sticking with that.

The UK championships in York was brilliant. But that's because it was in York. A terrific place and hopefully a certain venue for the sport for years to come.

Of course snooker has seen some lows. As Monique said - I remember being in the 24 hour ICT lab when on the news came through that John Higgins was pulling out of his last 16 match I guess we all knew what was to come. John senior was popular at venues and its been amazing how John responded with winning the welsh and the World's.

In addition to that, we here sadly lost Noel too. A great poster with a real sense of fun to boot.

Postby boris_the_butcher

The sport hurt me this year, the bugger. My childhood idol officially became cannon fodder for the top players and is no longer capable of competing at the top level.

Bingham winning In Oz was quite pleasing, hard work eventually pays off, it seems.

Postby mediter

Yeah, Selby´s standard against Hendry in Sheffield was just awesome. And also already mentioned Williams vs Lee best of 9 was fantastic standard also. PTC 7 where they playd pink shirts on was O`Sullivan´s breakbuilding festifal. Not just the amount of centuries he made, but the way he did those was just amazing. And he also won that tournament. You can watch those centuries here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LJSWbjO9co

Judd Trump´s arising was also something really good. And I thought Higgins vs O´Sullivan in Sheffield was a classic too.

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote: And also already mentioned Williams vs Lee best of 9 was fantastic standard also. .

just shows i can remember Best of 19s or Best of 25s played years ago. Short one session matches can be exciting Matches but theres so many played in a season they just forgetable and i actually forgot about that Brilliant Match.

Postby mediter

Wild wrote:
mediter wrote: And also already mentioned Williams vs Lee best of 9 was fantastic standard also. .

just shows i can remember Best of 19s or Best of 25s played years ago. Short one session matches can be exciting Matches but theres so many played in a season they just forgetable and i actually forgot about that Brilliant Match.

We need more matches like that was... I am actually predicting that soon coming Masters will see some brilliant matches. For example re-Masters match O´Sullivan vs Ding could well be just that.

Postby The Cueist

Amen to that,Ding is in devestating form.

2 by 147's in 3 days in ptc's. :tree:

Ronnie will be trying hard and if he hits form with the crowd behind him

Well,We could be in for a cracker of a match. :happy: :happy:

Postby Wildey

The Cueist wrote:Amen to that,Ding is in devestating form.

but all that = to winning nothing and won nothing and reached no final in 12 months with his next match being defending his title at the masters,

its all very well and good playing exciting atractive snooker but as a player Ding is now beeing left behind a bit he does need to start preducing the goods again.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie will be trying hard and if he hits form with the crowd behind him

Well,We could be in for a cracker of a match. :happy: :happy:

:bowdown:

Postby gallantrabbit

As I have limited access to and limited time for snooker two memories stand out.
The first was Trump steadfastly refusing time and time again to conform to the right shots in the World semis and final. What a breath of fresh air.
The second was getting to see live snooker here in Brazil. I did go to the 2009 Masters in London, but spent the entire day drinking and saw one frame... So it was good to see some faces, Hendry, still with an aura about him, and nearly justifying that with a near miss max in his first round.
I know the tourney was much vilified and there are many improvements to be made, but I for one hope to see it on the calendar next year, hopefully in São Paulo.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:As I have limited access to and limited time for snooker two memories stand out.
The first was Trump steadfastly refusing time and time again to conform to the right shots in the World semis and final. What a breath of fresh air.
The second was getting to see live snooker here in Brazil. I did go to the 2009 Masters in London, but spent the entire day drinking and saw one frame...
So it was good to see some faces, Hendry, still with an aura about him, and nearly justifying that with a near miss max in his first round.
I know the tourney was much vilified and there are many improvements to be made, but I for one hope to see it on the calendar next year, hopefully in São Paulo.

<laugh>

It's Witz.

Postby sundaygirl

My favourite snooker memory is also alcohol related, watching Matthew Stevens win the Champions League thingy after having more than a few :guinness: with my birthday lunch. Actually had to check on here the following morning that I hadn't imagined it :-D

Postby SnookerFan

If we're talking snake hissed up snooker memories, I watched the Weston Super Mare Premier League in the pub as part of my birthday celebrations after trying a new pub in town for lunch.

I too had to look up the score the morning after watching it. rofl Good job it wasn't anything worth watching.

Postby The Cueist

Wild wrote:

but all that = to winning nothing and won nothing and reached no final in 12 months with his next match being defending his title at the masters,

its all very well and good playing exciting atractive snooker but as a player Ding is now beeing left behind a bit he does need to start preducing the goods again.

Ther both need to as it goes,Ding has yet to peak IMO.

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:
Wild wrote:

Ther both need to as it goes,Ding has yet to peak IMO.

If we assume you are correct, and Ding hasn't reached his peak, by that logic his peak should be scary.

A player before hitting their peak has won two UK Championships, when they were longer frame. He's also won The Masters and another two ranking events. One when he was a wildcard.

How much would you say he'd win after he reached his peak.

Postby Wildey

i dont think Ding has reached full potential no however theres no rule to say he will.

Postby SnookerFan

I must admit, I'd love to see Ding win at The Crucible. Up until this year's one, that looked like a long-shot, I'll admit. He played so badly when in Sheffield.

I'd love to see him lift the trophy this season, I must admit. :D

Postby The Cueist

Wild wrote:i dont think Ding has reached full potential no however theres no rule to say he will.

This is true,My thinking is that as his mind matures he will not be so self conscious,He has an entorage with him at most tournies these days as it is.He will always be a contender for the worlds if and when he gets his mind right.

He needs to want it enough,And im sure he will in the near future.So for me he needs to get over his demons.

Snookerfan,If he won a world title and he has the skill to do so,He would be much improved as a force on the circuit as he would have that all important confidence on the table=Fear for opponents.

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:
Wild wrote:i dont think Ding has reached full potential no however theres no rule to say he will.

This is true,My thinking is that as his mind matures he will not be so self conscious,He has an entorage with him at most tournies these days as it is.He will always be a contender for the worlds if and when he gets his mind right.

He needs to want it enough,And im sure he will in the near future.So for me he needs to get over his demons.

Snookerfan,If he won a world title and he has the skill to do so,He would be much improved as a force on the circuit as he would have that all important confidence on the table=Fear for opponents.

I think he is all but over his demons after the Ronnie match. Won another ranker (the UK Championship). Won at Wembley, where the jeering happened. If he can beat Ronnie at The Masters next month I think he'll have proved beyond any doubt that the demons are long gone.

Apart from the BBC Commentary team, who seem to think the racist boo-ing was Ding's fault, because he happened to be playing Ronnie. <doh>