Post a reply

Let's have it for a bullseye!

Postby vodkadiet

When I used to play snooker for money back in the late 90s, this is how a work colleague used to ask for a game of snooker down the local club:

'Let's have it for a bullseye'!

We would therefore play a best of 9, or best of 11 for £50. I would invariably win, although I got beat a few times. I came out with a tidy profit.

:happy:

How did your adversaries ask you for a match?

Re: Let's have it for a bullseye!

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:When I used to play snooker for money back in the late 90s, this is how a work colleague used to ask for a game of snooker down the local club:

'Let's have it for a bullseye'!

We would therefore play a best of 9, or best of 11 for £50. I would invariably win, although I got beat a few times. I came out with a tidy profit.

How did your adversaries ask you for a match?

:chin:

Postby vodkadiet

This guy used to stop the match at crucial junctures to tell me about his visits to the brothel. It never distracted me though, I always laughed and then switched my focus back to my next shot.

:party:

Postby vodkadiet

John From London Town wrote:I was about 16 or 17 & was playing for money a lot when an owner's son asked me for a game & I replied "I'll give you 21 for a fiver" to which he replied "You skint John, wanna borrow a couple of quid?" I never, ever replied with nothing other than a smile, since .

John <cool>

Postby Witz78

vodkadiet wrote:This guy used to stop the match at crucial junctures to tell me about his visits to the brothel. It never distracted me though, I always laughed and then switched my focus back to my next shot.

gamesmanship :evilgrin:

whethers its making sure my ice clinks my glass, walking in their line of sight, talking, coughing, lifting chalk off the cushion, making a noise, ill do whatever it takes to put them off :gag:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:This guy used to stop the match at crucial junctures to tell me about his visits to the brothel. It never distracted me though, I always laughed and then switched my focus back to my next shot.

gamesmanship :evilgrin:

whethers its making sure my ice clinks my glass, walking in their line of sight, talking, coughing, lifting chalk off the cushion, making a noise, ill do whatever it takes to put them off :gag:

One of the best stunts I pulled, was when I was playing a best of 11 frame match, against another guy I worked with. We were 4-4 and down to a black ball frame in the next. The guy I was playing was cueing up to take the black into one of the black pockets, with the cue ball about 3 foot from the black, and the black equidistant to the pocket. It was a shot he would get about 7 times out of 10. As he was cueing I decided to start emptying one of the middle pockets, right in his line of sight, as if to say to him "You won't miss that,I am getting the balls out for the next frame". This distracted him on his shot, and caused him to miss. He then shouted at me, "Thanks a lot, you did that on purpose"; or words to that affect!

I preceded to knock in a very difficult black; my opponent was destroyed mentally, and I won the next easily for a 6-4 win. I then put my hand in his back pocket and took out £50, and thanked him for his time.

Postby Witz78

that kinda stuff goes on in the games i play too and its bloody well annoying when it happens to you as more often than not the psychology of the opponent assuming your gonna pot it, adds to the pressure

1) already mark up the scores before opponent pots a ball making sure he sees this
2) if decider and match ball place money on side of table as if youve already lost
3) start picking balls out of pocket
4) un-screw your cue in half and put it in case ready to leave
5) say "ah well thats 5-3 (or whatever), in other words telling opponents theyve won frame before they have to play the shot

Another one during frames i try is if im behind ill sometimes sly a red out of a pocket and put it in table to increase points remaining and boost my chances.

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:that kinda stuff goes on in the games i play too and its bloody well annoying when it happens to you as more often than not the psychology of the opponent assuming your gonna pot it, adds to the pressure

1) already mark up the scores before opponent pots a ball making sure he sees this
2) if decider and match ball place money on side of table as if youve already lost
5) say "ah well thats 5-3 (or whatever), in other words telling opponents theyve won frame before they have to play the shot

Another one during frames i try is if im behind ill sometimes sly a red out of a pocket and put it in table to increase points remaining and boost my chances.

a bit like hiding cards under your leg whilst playing bragg :gag:

Postby vodkadiet

Witz78 wrote:that kinda stuff goes on in the games i play too and its bloody well annoying when it happens to you as more often than not the psychology of the opponent assuming your gonna pot it, adds to the pressure

The first 4 are legitimate gamesmanship, but the 5th is blatant cheating.

It reminds me of when I used to play a classmate at primary school on his 6 x 3 table. If you were looking to clear the colours to win a frame, he would move balls with his hands near to the side cushion so as to make the clearance nigh on impossible. He was the sort of kid who had to win everything, he could never accept losing.

I had enough of his antics one day, and told him he was a parakeet and would never playhim again.

5 years later I was playing him on full size tables. :irk:

Postby vodkadiet

Canadian Jim Bear. who played on the pro circuit in the 80s was known to shake a box of matches while his opponent was playing a crucial shot, so as to cause them to miss.

Rigsby wears a towel on his face. I am sure that is to distract his opponent, although I am sure it also makes eating ones dinner more palatable, not having to look at his ugly face whilst tucking in to your favourite vegan dish.

:D