Post a reply

Re: Will Martin Gould win a full ranking event?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Discuss.

If by full you mean PTC, then yes, he is well capable. If by full you mean Welsh Open etc, then yes again. He has the game, its probably just mental now for Martin.

Dont think he will challenge for the worlds to be fair - as his game is not quite rounded enough imo......but over the short course he is a challenger, yes. :hatoff:

Postby gallantrabbit

I think we have to be patient with Martin. Let's not forget 2/3 years ago he was very much a journeyman and has made huge strides, now as a regular member of the top 16.
Playing the way he does he will have poor days, everything needs to be flying for him. He doesn't quite have Judd's talent and even Judd is still to prove that that style of play can win the biggest prize.
Gould is doing ecxtremely well though and I'm happy to see it.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I think we have to be patient with Martin. Let's not forget 2/3 years ago he was very much a journeyman and has made huge strides, now as a regular member of the top 16.
Playing the way he does he will have poor days, everything needs to be flying for him. He doesn't quite have Judd's talent and even Judd is still to prove that that style of play can win the biggest prize.

He's just won the UK Championship. It seems an odd criticism to give to complain just because he hasn't won the World Championship. He was bloody close, to be fair.

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:I think we have to be patient with Martin. Let's not forget 2/3 years ago he was very much a journeyman and has made huge strides, now as a regular member of the top 16.

He's just won the UK Championship. It seems an odd criticism to give to complain just because he hasn't won the World Championship. He was bloody close, to be fair.

Nah he's over the hill, his chance has passed :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

gallant i think winning 2 out of the last 5 Ranking events and reaching the World final Judd is now proven.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

gallant i think winning 2 out of the last 5 Ranking events and reaching the World final Judd is now proven.

But he didn't win the biggest prize.

Postby Roland

I think the fact Higgins needed and got a snooker at the death to avoid 17-16 says Judd has the game to win the World Championships. Also it's a bit unfair to label Gould a journeyman because he's not been on tour that long in relation to a lot of others.

Postby GJ

He showed v robbo he can do well in longer matches yes he lost but only nerves and A WC got him

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:He showed v robbo he can do well in longer matches yes he lost but only nerves and A WC got him

I wonder if Jono woulda ever gone on to win a World title if he hadn't got past Gouldy in that match, I think as it happens he'll go on and win 1, maybe 2 more after this, amazing when you think of how tight the margins are.

Postby GJ

Bourne wrote:
GJ wrote:He showed v robbo he can do well in longer matches yes he lost but only nerves and A WC got him

I wonder if Jono woulda ever gone on to win a World title if he hadn't got past Gouldy in that match, I think as it happens he'll go on and win 1, maybe 2 more after this, amazing when you think of how tight the margins are.

True mate margins are so small

Stevens is at the other end of the scale so many chances messed up :mood:

Robbo knew it was there with higgins out and he went all out for it :hatoff: :spot on:

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

a lot hasent won the biggest prize ....

is Jimmy White unproven ???

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

a lot hasent won the biggest prize ....

is Jimmy White unproven ???

100 % <cool>