Topic locked

The Ally Pally

Postby SnookerFan

I've never been to the Alexandra Palace, but am going for The Masters.

Anybody else been what's it like as a venue?

Looking on the internet, I'm taking a guess that it is a massive place. Somewhat like the 02 Arena in that it's not just a sport's venue, more of an entertainment complex where one of the facilities you can watch sports in. But also is surrounded by bars and restaurants and rubbish. It's on several acres of land by the look of it. I've heard also it's more atmospheric than Wembley, which isn't difficult.

The downside is that it seems more of a pain in the bottom to get to. Wembley you could fall out of the tube into your seat.

Is this worth the effort? Is my assessment above fair? Share your Ally Pally experiences Island.

Re: The Ally Pally

Postby Roland

The darts is there at the moment so take a look. I'm yet to be convinced it'd make a good snooker venue. In fact I'm sure it won't, it's too big and rectangular like an old hall and the seating can't go high enough.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:The darts is there at the moment so take a look. I'm yet to be convinced it'd make a good snooker venue. In fact I'm sure it won't, it's too big and rectangular like an old hall and the seating can't go high enough.

Oh, I've watched stuff on television that comes from the Ally Pally. They have boxing there too. Just not ever been there.

It is a pain in the bottom to get to, so if you're right and it's a shoddy snooker venue, then I will reconsider which live snooker to attend next year.

Hopefully it'll work out to be a masterstroke though.

Postby Roland

I can't see it. Having just spent a week watching snooker in the Barbican Centre in York, I know for a fact the Ally Pally can't possibly come anywhere close to matching the venue or atmosphere in there.

Postby sundaygirl

Getting there might be a pain in your bottom, but my buttocks are very happy with the location.
The trip across town was worth it for the conference center but I'm not sure I would be going twice this year if it was still at Wembley Arena.

Postby Witz78

The snookers held in a smaller hall than the darts is. Check out the Ally Pally site or wikipedia page, it really has a very interesting history that place, as well as being an architectural gem.
Good luck walking up the hill to it too by the way SF....

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:The snookers held in a smaller hall than the darts is. Check out the Ally Pally site or wikipedia page, it really has a very interesting history that place, as well as being an architectural gem.
Good luck walking up the hill to it too by the way SF....

Thanks for the well wishes. rofl I'll take a first aid kit and a packed lunch for the expedition.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 21 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Getting there might be a pain in your bottom, but my buttocks are very happy with the location.
The trip across town was worth it for the conference center but I'm not sure I would be going twice this year if it was still at Wembley Arena.

Wembley Arena was a bit rubbish, granted. Only went to the Conference Centre once.

Ps. If you need anybody to administer care to your buttocks, I'm more than happy to volunteer.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:I can't see it. Having just spent a week watching snooker in the Barbican Centre in York, I know for a fact the Ally Pally can't possibly come anywhere close to matching the venue or atmosphere in there.

York fanboy :zzz:

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I can't see it. Having just spent a week watching snooker in the Barbican Centre in York, I know for a fact the Ally Pally can't possibly come anywhere close to matching the venue or atmosphere in there.

Thought you spent all week hobnobbing it in the press room with Matt, Hendon, Yates, etc :D

Postby Roland

:roll:

So the snooker won't necessarily be in the same hall as the darts then?

Postby Roland

Ok had a look around the virtual map. It can only be in the hall. I just get the feeling it's the wrong venue for the Masters. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Postby Wildey

Darts is played in a pub its easy as rubbish to re create darts atmosphere all you need is a bar and people getting snake hissed hey presto its a darts tournament.... persanally Darts bore me senseless these days to repetative.

snooker cant really function in that atmosphere and loses what makes snooker work..

im reserving judgement on the Ally Pally until i see the set up of the tournament.

Postby Witz78

Typical stupid response Wild. Tarring the Masters with the darts brush just cos its held at the Ally Pally. The darts fans will be long gone by time the Masters starts. For what its worth tho i think Hearn will be aiming for the Masters to have a Shootout style feel to the crowd and arena. The UK was like a morgue, the Masters crowd have always been rowdier and more vocal so lets hope that continues.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:The darts is there at the moment so take a look. I'm yet to be convinced it'd make a good snooker venue. In fact I'm sure it won't, it's too big and rectangular like an old hall and the seating can't go high enough.

I thought there might have been another hall? I take it the commentary box will be where the Darts stage is at the minute. Surly they can build decent temporary seating to go high enough?

Postby Witz78

Casey wrote:

I thought there might have been another hall? I take it the commentary box will be where the Darts stage is at the minute. Surly they can build decent temporary seating to go high enough?

er for the 3rd time................. ITS IN A DIFFERENT HALL :irk:

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Typical stupid response Wild. Tarring the Masters with the darts brush just cos its held at the Ally Pally. The darts fans will be long gone by time the Masters starts. For what its worth tho i think Hearn will be aiming for the Masters to have a Shootout style feel to the crowd and arena. The UK was like a morgue, the Masters crowd have always been rowdier and more vocal so lets hope that continues.

im open minded all ive said was what works for darts wont for snooker neceserally ... yes the wembly crowd was more rowdy

Postby SnookerFan

So, just to be clear, is this in the same hall that the darts is in? Anyone?

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:

<ok>

Postby sundaygirl

It's NOT in the Great Hall
20th to 22nd the Great Hall has a model engineering exhibition which actually looks very cool.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Typical stupid response Wild. Tarring the Masters with the darts brush just cos its held at the Ally Pally. The darts fans will be long gone by time the Masters starts. For what its worth tho i think Hearn will be aiming for the Masters to have a Shootout style feel to the crowd and arena. The UK was like a morgue, the Masters crowd have always been rowdier and more vocal so lets hope that continues.

im open minded all ive said was what works for darts wont for snooker neceserally ... yes the wembly crowd was more rowdy

WEM
BER
LEE

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
Casey wrote:

:D rofl

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:Everything is arranged for my one date of the year. :D

Will be good for you to get out of the house that day, treasure it, savour it, live it :D

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:

Will be good for you to get out of the house that day, treasure it, savour it, live it :D

I will, man. Women look so much better when they're real, and not pictures in magazines. :bowdown:

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:

I will, man. men look so much better when they're real, and not pictures in magazines. :bowdown:

:limp: