Topic locked

The 2011 UK Championship - conclusions

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The 2011 UK Championship is now over. It's time to take a look back at 9 fabulous days of snooker. I want to include everyone here to express your opinion and answer the following questions to conclude this championship.

1. Was the new format a success or a failure?
2. Was the return to York the right choice?
3. What was your favourite match of the tournament?
4. Which players disappointed you?
5. Which players surprised you in a good way?
6. What will Trump achieve in 2012?
7. What was your overall favourite moment?
8. How much did you enjoy this tournament overall?

Re: The 2011 UK Championship - conclusions

Postby Andre147

:-) Great topic this, and a nice conclusion to what was a faboulous tournament.

I think it was more of a sucess than a failure really. Above all things, all the matches had the chance to b tlevised, which was great, we got to see some great matches, and those were not played in a cubicle like in previous ocasions. The best of 11 format is allright, though the best of 17 really creates another atmosfere to the 2nd biggest tournament we have, but still, I think it was nice to have the format this way.

Definately the right choice, great crowds for almost all sessions, a good place to stay and visit, unlike Telford which many people dont like because there is nothing there really :john:

I had several, but the one that was the best for was definately the final. The way Allen came back at Judd in the 2nd session was frightenning, making 4 centuries in the match, almost 5, and the way Judd played too, a great great final, one to be remembered.

The player that disappointed me the most was, as you would expect, Ronnie. he had loads of chances to win the match, especially in the 10th frame, couldnt take them, and so was beat. Had he gone through, I expected him to at least reach the semis, if not the final, or even better, winning the whole thing. selby also disappointed because of the way he played against Day, and couldnt take that form into the Fu match, although I liked Fu to win. Williams also could have gone far, but couldnt make it in the end.

The players that impressed me the most were Walden and Fu, 2 qualifiers who did very well in this tournament, especially Walden, who was playing great snooker, but just had a bad 2ns session in the semi.

With this win, I expect him to climb a few more places in the rankings(not much more to climb mind you) and win at least 1 or 2 ranking tourneys, maybe the german Masters, who knows.... if he plays like this, then he can definately win at least one more at the end of the season.

favourite moment? hard to pick, maybe when Robbo asked for a comfort break, and he and Judd both rushed out of the arena rofl

Great tournament, the format worked nice, and because we got to see all the matches televised, it added that special feeling... Also, because almost of the seeded players went through to the 2nd round, made it even more special.

Postby SnookerFan

1. Was the new format a success or a failure? How do you judge a success? Personally, I didn't think it made the tournament feel like the second biggest ranker. A format like this would improve the Welsh Open, it doesn't improve the UK Championship.

2. Was the return to York the right choice? How can it not be? Look at the crowds. The majority of us that post on here would go to one horse town to watch snooker, but it wouldn't attract the masses. York did.

3. What was your favourite match of the tournament? Got to have been the final. Of the best of 11s, I liked Murphy vs Gould the most.

4. Which players disappointed you? John Higgins. What the hell was he doing against Maguire?

5. Which players surprised you in a good way? Ricky Walden. More play like that please.

6. What will Trump achieve in 2012? He is now the player Bourne predicted he would be for years, and we didn't believe. He's one of the favourites for every tournament he enters, and should be aiming to win the Worlds this year.

7. What was your overall favourite moment? The Mark Allen spack attack.

8. How much did you enjoy this tournament overall? Less than the traditional UK Championship. But as a ranker it was okay.

Postby Wildey

its not a matter of believing it i was a believer since day one but you got to do it where it matters on a table...Stephen Hendry said in comentary when he beat Judd in the German Masters last season Judd looked basicly clueless as if he had learned nothing in 5 years as a pro.......that was the player we was criticising the fact bourne saw something in him is neither here or there he was obviously a cut above others his age but he needed to step it up whitch he has now done proof is in the pudding he has now proved himself so what bourne thought meant rubbish now as it did then <ok>

1. Was the new format a success or a failure? it was a Snooker Tournament was it better than Best of 17s ? NO was it better to get all matches Televised ? YES

2. Was the return to York the right choice? YES Crowds + Sonny came out in force

3. What was your favourite match of the tournament? Robertson v Trump Semi Final

4. Which players disappointed you? Selby What the Hell was that after a Good First Round

5. Which players surprised you in a good way? Ricky Walden. with the minefield of multi ranking event winners he had to get through

6. What will Trump achieve in 2012? Who Knows really ? Remember Dale Judd could have lost first match so its a fine line between success and failure.

7. What was your overall favourite moment? Mark Allen from start to finish

8. How much did you enjoy this tournament overall? Great event but lets be honest none of this political correctnes marmite it was a downgreaded UK No matter how great the event was.

Postby Roland

A success for the opening couple of rounds, I'd have liked to see the quarter-finals move to 2 sessions and have both semis played at the same time.

Silly question. It's here to stay!

Robbo v Trump

Selby

Robbo, Walden

A couple of ranking events and at least one major (Masters/UK/Worlds)

Robbo punching the air at 5-5

10/10

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Yes and no. Obviously it was great to have all matches televised and I think the last 32 are improved by best of 11s but at the last 16 and the quarter finals something was missing. It wasn't that bad but I associate the UK with longer formats and some of this tournament's magic disappeared.

Of course. The last couple of years there were matches with virtually no spectators, this year the arena was packed from start to finish.

Judd Trump - Neil Robertson: two big names in great form battling it out in two sessions: it was close and tense, it had a late night finish and there were a bit of needles involved.

John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ali Carter and Mark Williams. But I'm especially disappointed with Mark Selby. He had a kind draw, he played the perfect opening match, he had more than enough confidence because he was World no. 1 and won the last ranking tournament of the season but still Mark Selby disappoints once again in one of the two biggest snooker tournaments. He didn't just lose the match against a better player but "Mr. Consistent" also played very poorly and threw that match away.

Marco Fu and Mark Allen but especially Ricky Walden. It's great to see him back, performing to his maximum ability. Hopefully he can carry now and continue playling like that in 2012.

A lot. I think we will become world no.1 at one stage and win at least one or two rankers in 2012 but he has to be careful other great players have gone downhill after a great opening year.

Rob Walker asking Maguire and Trump before their quarter final match what they took from beating their opponents, both answering: "A lot."

Very much. The UK produces something special almost every year and so it did this year.

Postby Witz78

Great suggestion Sonny re: the QF's being best of 17 and semis both being played on the Sat. Would also do away with the unfairness of someone getting a full day extra to recover before the final, as well as ensuring the tv companies of surely at least one close semi to fill the tv slots with.

Postby Witz78

As for my views on the event.
Format change was more of a success than a failure and the fact 14 seeds won in r1 put that old debate to bed.
Quality wise it was a mixed big, hard to even say Judd played that well over the week.
Fans allowed in with beer, Crucible take that.
As for no partitions, that was a success but it just wont work in Sheffield due to the limited space. Would almost be like playing in a club having to wait to play shots etc.
Crowd wise, whilst it was near enough full houses all week, by what i read, the capacity was around 600. With arenas like the German one showing, the time has come for snooker to embrace larger venues and fully cash in.
Talking of cashing in, they mentioned last nite that snooker now 'rakes' in £1.5m a year from Tv revenue. Between BBC, Eurosport and the Far East demand, that figure is a joke. Time to re-negotiate the deals Barry. Good to hear talk of a £10m pound minimum tour around the corner, should ultimately be aiming towards £30m anyway id say.

Postby Roland

The capacity of the Barbican was a lot more than 600, surely?

Yes no way can you have open plan at the Crucible because the players would be getting in each others way all the time.

Postby Witz78

Cant remember the source, poss via Twitter but saw records that said around 600 paying punters. Might mean there were a lot of freeloaders too, but that upper teir always looked pretty empty and if you think of that arena in sections, what were the 2 sides? Say 25 seats long by 6 high then thats 2x150 then the main bit. I often do arena capacity checks at venues and it always ends up far less when you tally up the number of seats along and up, than what it initially appears.
The Crucible looks big height wise going all the way up to row M or N? yet only having 900 odd seats.

Postby Casey

My conclusion is that I am still gutted Mark played so well and still lost. Trump is now the favourite to win the World title imo, although Robbo won't be far behind him.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:As for my views on the event.
Format change was more of a success than a failure and the fact 14 seeds won in r1 put that old debate to bed.

thats a load of Rubbish to start with the Fact seeds won through has sod all to do with Why the UK best of 11 was Right...

the reasons seeds wins through is you got best players playing in the event because the Likes of Ebdon,Hendry and cope who has been rubbish are not seeded.

so as far as im concerned that debate will never be put to bed and it was DEFINITLY 100% a step back for the sport.to the point Steve bucking useles hammer Davis even sugested a World Championship best of 19 all the way through.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

thats a load of Rubbish to start with the Fact seeds won through has sod all to do with Why the UK best of 11 was Right...

the reasons seeds wins through is you got best players playing in the event because the Likes of Ebdon,Hendry and cope who has been rubbish are not seeded.

so as far as im concerned that debate will never be put to bed and it was DEFINITLY 100% a step back for the sport.to the point Steve bucking useles hammer Davis even sugested a World Championship best of 19 all the way through.

i wasnt totally clear in what i was getting at there

what i really meant was that the argument that the shorter formats favour the lesser players can be put to bed after the UK plus the World Open last year

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

what i really meant was that the argument that the shorter formats favour the lesser players can be put to bed after the UK plus the World Open last year

ok fair point and it doesent its Simple best players are the best for a reason so format does not really matter to them and as a Event I Really Enjoyed it some Great Matches But it Just Did Not Feel like the UK Championship.......Last Season I Enjoyed the German Masters Best of 9s that did not feel like the UK Either but i enjoyed it....Point im Making is Possibly the Right Decition was Reached For TV Perposes but That doesent change the fact it Felt like a New Tournament and it worked well but it wasent the UK.

Postby Bourne

HUGE SUCCESS, CROWD TURNED OUT IN THEIR HUNDREDS EVEN FOR THE ODD DUD LOOKING MATCH WE HAD ON THE SCHEDULE. FORMAT BROUGHT EXCITING CLIMAXES TO SO MANY OF THE FIRST 28 MATCHES, THINKING BACK TO LAST YEAR WE PROBABLY WOULDA MISSED ABOUT 15 OF THEM. SEMIS/FINAL DIDN'T PRODUCE A CLASSIC BETWEEN THEM WHICH WAS A SHAME BUT ALL THREE MATCHES WERE IN THE END RELATIVELY TIGHT, I GUESS YOU CAN PUT THE LACK OF QUALITY DOWN TO THE FACT THEY LEPT FROM 1 TO 2 SESSION SNOOKER.
ANYONE WHO TRIES TO ANSWER AGAINST THE AFFIRMATIVE IS IN CLOUD CUCKOO LAND, IT WAS A MASTER-STROKE.
ANNOYINGLY I MISSED QUITE A LOT OF MATCHES THIS YEAR, ONLY REALLY CAUGHT ALL THE EVENING MATCHES ON MON-FRI SO LOT OF GREAT MATCHES I MISSED SO I'M GOING WITH ONE THAT I SAW, AND THOUGH AGAIN THE QUALITY WASN'T ASTOUNDING, THE FU VS ALLEN MATCH HAD LOTS OF TALKING POINTS AND MEMORABLE MOMENTS FOR ME AND A TENSE FINISH SO I'LL GO WITH THAT.
DESPITE MAKING THE QUARTERS, DING WAS POOR, WOULD HAVE LIKED HIM TO HAVE SET UP A REMATCH OF THAT WORLDS SEMI.
WALDEN EASY, NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS THIS RUN WAS OUTA NOWHERE, PTCS ARE A DIFFERENT KETTLA FISH SO ANYONE BRINGING THAT UP DESERVES A SLAP. THOUGHT HE WAS TREMENDOUS THIS WEEK. WOULDN'T SAY ALLEN OR TRUMP TBH, DON'T THINK EITHER WERE AT THEIR A-GAME AND I KNOW THERE'S MORE TO COME FROM BOTH.
I'M NOT SURE WHAT HE WILL ACHIEVE BUT I JUST HOPE IT'S MORE OF THE SAME, SOME MORE OF THE SUBLIME MIXED WITH THE RIDICULOUS. NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE LEVELS AT HIM NOW, HE'S A UK CHAMP, AND YOU SCARCELY SEE AVERAGE OR LUCKY PLAYERS WIN THIS TITLE. IT WILL BE TOUGH TO WIN THE WORLDS BUT LOOKING AT IT PURELY IN CRITICAL TERMS, ANYTHING LESS THAN BECOMING WORLD CHAMPION WILL BE A DISAPPOINTMENT, BUT I'LL BE MORE THAN CONTENT WITH A FEW MORE RANKING SPOTS CLIMBED AND A COUPLE MORE RANKING TITLES, WHEREVER THEY MAY BE.
GETTING HOME AT GONE MIDNIGHT ON SATURDAY MORNING TO DISCOVER JUDD HAD BEATEN JONO IN A TIGHT ONE HAHA, THAT WAS SWEET.
FAVOURITE TOURNAMENT OF THE YEAR, JUST AHEAD OF CHINA AND THE WORLDS.

Postby vodkadiet

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The 2011 UK Championship is now over. It's time to take a look back at 9 fabulous days of snooker. I want to include everyone here to express your opinion and answer the following questions to conclude this championship.

1. Failure
2. No
3. Selby vs Day
4. Allen,Walden
5. Day,Selt,Ford
6. 100,000 Tweets and no major trophies
7. Rigsby choking against The Bristol Rag Doll
8. I wasn't wearing overalls when I watched the tournament

Postby Wildey

crowd did not turn out for the format ffs cubicle matches could have turned out a few more and possibly less shown watching TV Matches.

Postby Bourne

vodkadiet wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The 2011 UK Championship is now over. It's time to take a look back at 9 fabulous days of snooker. I want to include everyone here to express your opinion and answer the following questions to conclude this championship.

1. Failure
2. No
3. Selby vs Day
4. Allen,Walden
5. Day,Selt,Ford

C-THING :D

Postby Lucky

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

ok fair point and it doesent its Simple best players are the best for a reason so format does not really matter to them and as a Event I Really Enjoyed it some Great Matches But it Just Did Not Feel like the UK Championship.......Last Season I Enjoyed the German Masters Best of 9s that did not feel like the UK Either but i enjoyed it....Point im Making is Possibly the Right Decition was Reached For TV Perposes but That doesent change the fact it Felt like a New Tournament and it worked well but it wasent the UK.

The only way that it will be classed as a success or failure is in viewing figures, If they are up, even slightly then it has been a success and Hearn will be vindicated <ok> For all the gnashing of teeth and moaning, from reading the site whilst the tournament was in progress, you've all pretty much watched every session and the change of format hasn't mattered one jot! so the figures will decide, and if they are up..........the worlds WILL be shortened and you'll watch just the same <ok>

Postby Bourne

Lucky wrote:
Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Wild wrote:

The only way that it will be classed as a success or failure is in viewing figures, If they are up, even slightly then it has been a success and Hearn will be vindicated <ok> For all the gnashing of teeth and moaning, from reading the site whilst the tournament was in progress, you've all pretty much watched every session and the change of format hasn't mattered one jot! so the figures will decide, and if they are up..........the worlds WILL be shortened and you'll watch just the same <ok>

Aye spot on, anyone who moaned about the format change but watched the tournament are just hypocrites.

Postby simplysnooker

vodkadiet wrote:

1. Failure
2. No
3. Selby vs Day
4. Allen,Walden
5. Day,Selt,Ford

1. Haha
2. LOL
3. ROFL
4. LMAO
5. :-D
6. :win:
7. :bowdown:
8. :clap:

Happy?

Postby Wildey

Yes Lucky has that spot on

doesent matter one jot about the atendance thats down to the barbican...

lets see what viewing figures has to say.

but regarding shorteneing things i dont think it makes a blind bit of difference to TV Audiences how long it lasts to complete.

its about turning the TV on for a spot of snooker for what i like to call the April whores and as for die harders who cares who wins or loses a very high percentage wants to see a real match.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:your casual fan is going to be more likely to watch a match nearing its conclusion than one that has multiple sessions still to go, thats fairly logical

no they not and ill tell you why if you got a 11 frame session or a 10 frame session for a best of 19 match most of these casual fans will still be in bed before it finishes

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Witz78 wrote:your casual fan is going to be more likely to watch a match nearing its conclusion than one that has multiple sessions still to go, thats fairly logical

no they not and ill tell you why if you got a 11 frame session or a 10 frame session for a best of 19 match most of these casual fans will still be in bed before it finishes

How's that disputing witz's point :?

Postby Tubberlad

1. Was the new format a success or a failure? Didn't mind it for round one, but best-of-17's should be there from at least the quarter-finals, preferably the second round also. I didn't like the new format for the UK Championship, but it's a good format that should be considered for the China Open IMO... not that that will happen.

2. Was the return to York the right choice? Judging by the crowds, I think you can only say yes, it was the correct choice, absolutely.

3. What was your favourite match of the tournament? The final. Magnificent.

4. Which players disappointed you? Mark Selby

5. Which players surprised you in a good way? Rick Walden

6. What will Trump achieve in 2012? World Champion

7. What was your overall favourite moment? Judd Trump winning the title and Allen's ballsiness

8. How much did you enjoy this tournament overall? Good tournament, terrific final.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

How's that disputing witz's point :?

casual fans dont really give a toss about who wins or loses they dont really care only watches the snooker as it stands my dad is a casual fan he will look at first session of a best of 35 and not look at the last frame decider because he dont give a toss about the result only watch the sport on TV when he has the time or want to.