Post a reply

Ali Carter Quits Snooker?

Postby nice_shoes_ken

If this is Ali's correct twitter page which I think it is, about an hour ago he has said he is set to step away from the game and head for pastures new.

He said he will retire at the end of the season.

TheCaptain147Ali Carter
going to retire at the end of the season! And I can't wait!

TheCaptain147Ali Carter
I'm dead serious, life is to short to do something you don't enjoy, 25 years is enough! Pastures new....

If he does go through with it, I would like to wish him all the best and some of us on Snooker Island will say the same. One person will be gutted and that will be my mum when I tell her tomorrow, big fan :-(

Re: Ali Carter Quits Snooker?

Postby Witz78

GOOD RIDDACE

he says he hates playing snooker

good, retire now and free up a tour space for someone who would be grateful of the opportunity

the deadwood can go

time for the workshy to be weeded out now before the calendar really gets busy, they aint seen nothing yet

Postby Bourne

He has got a job to go to after snooker I suppose, but not a chance he'll retire yet.

Postby SnookerAnalyst

That's a bit harsh Witz!

I'm not sure how much his illness affects him - he says he can manage it but the TV pundits were saying that there are times of the year that he suffers more than others. Looking at his tweets he has already pulled out of a couple of tournaments this season because of it. I haven't ever seen him criticise the changes to the Tour so he's not one of the whingers, but I imagine he's considering whether he can compete over a longer season.

Carter's only 32 so it's a bit hard to write him off yet, but he is starting to slip down the rankings. Hopefully he'll have a good end to the season and re-consider. 'The Captain' obviously has a few interests outside of the game though, so if he does decide to call it a day then good luck to him.

Postby Eirebilly

Witz78 wrote:GOOD RIDDACE

he says he hates playing snooker

good, retire now and free up a tour space for someone who would be grateful of the opportunity

the deadwood can go

time for the workshy to be weeded out now before the calendar really gets busy, they aint seen nothing yet

What an absolutely riddiculous statement to make. Seriously poor even by your low standards Witz.

Ali is a decent player who has put in lots of years of work and has rarely been a controversial figure. He has prepared for life after snooker by becoming and accomplished pilot and has always stated that when he felt that it was enough then he would leave the game and continue with his flying. He is hardly an ingrate, deadwood or workshy.

Postby Witz78

I stand by my comments.
The problem is too many people play the Mr.Nice Guy card, say whats deemed politically correct and basically suck up the players.
At the end of the day we fans all love snooker and would give Jonos face, if we could be fortunate enough to be a pro snooker player for a living, espec a top one like Carter. He then comes out with comments like 'he hates snooker'. Well, thats just a kick in the goolies to all us fans who love it so i dont care whether its becoming a pilot or his illness to blame for this, the fact is slating the sport that feeds and clothes him, so i hope he goes through with his retirement plans. Plenty more grateful stars waiting in the wings to take his tour place.

Postby Eirebilly

So you have never woken up and said that you hate your job then? The same job that feeds and clothes you? You have never considered changing jobs or careers?

Maybe there are less fortunate people than yourself that would think the same thing about you if you made the same comments about your job Witz.

Calling him an ingrate, workshy and deadwood is seriously poor.

Postby Bourne

Yeh I see witz's point, if any normal person said this in a normal workplace, then we'd expect them to be told to buck off, just cos it's snooker we gota be sympathetic :chin: I also doubt he'd be saying this after a win, he just sounds bitter :chuckle:

Postby Bourne

And anyway if he does retire, how else is he gona get his fix of having to bend over and take a beating from Ronnie :limp:

Postby Eirebilly

I am not being sympatethic, i just dont agree with the way Witz is slagging him off. Of course when you are winning (or doing well in your work) you love it and want to do it forever. When you are not winning (not doing well in work) you hate it and look for something new. Its human nature. It doesnt mean that someone is an ingrate, workshy or deadwood.

Postby Eirebilly

As for you standing by your words Witz, dont make me laugh.

I saw you on OnCue snooker blog giving it large against Allen and as soon as he came online to defend himself you almost had to be surgically removed from his bottom.

Postby Witz78

Opportunity for snooker to take a leaf out of wrestlings book and stage a RETIREMENT MATCH between Ronnie and Ali. But with a twist, since they both allegedly want to retire, the deal is the winner gets his wish and the loser is consigned to the unenviable plight of a life on the baize. And an added stipulation is that Hearn would be the SPECIAL GUEST REFEREE

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:Opportunity for snooker to take a leaf out of wrestlings book and stage a RETIREMENT MATCH between Ronnie and Ali. But with a twist, since they both allegedly want to retire, the deal is the winner gets his wish and the loser is consigned to the unenviable plight of a life on the baize. And an added stipulation is that Hearn would be the SPECIAL GUEST REFEREE

And when someone wins a frame the crowd would hold up signs saying 'SMACKDOWN!!!' :happy:

Postby Eirebilly

Witz78 wrote:fluffy bunnies, all i did was say fair play to him 4 coming on to face the critics

Yeah right, thats all you said isnt it........ You go with that Witz, whatever makes you happy.

Postby Eirebilly

Eirebilly wrote:So you have never woken up and said that you hate your job then? The same job that feeds and clothes you? You have never considered changing jobs or careers?

So any chance that you may answer this Witz? Are you one of the extremely few people in this world that has never felt like this or are you happy that you can also be branded and ingrate, workshy and deadwood?

Postby Roland

Eirebilly wrote:As for you standing by your words Witz, dont make me laugh.

I saw you on OnCue snooker blog giving it large against Allen and as soon as he came online to defend himself you almost had to be surgically removed from his bottom.

rofl

Postby gallantrabbit

If he'sserious...not sure I could do what he claims to want to do. Still top 10 isn't he? Might be a reaction to a loss, who knows.

Postby Roland

He's a bit of a grumbler but he does suffer from his Chrones quite badly I believe. I'm sure he can probably earn more as a pilot because they are on a huge salary. Good luck to him in whatever he does after snooker if he does retire, and if he carries on playing, stop whinging and try and enjoy it!

Postby PLtheRef

Watching the match last night, he seemed disinterested, especially once Mark went 4-2 very disinterested. In that final frame he was rushing his shots and not thinking about selection at all. Very surprising to see from Ali indeed.

Postby Eirebilly

It happens sometimes in all walks of life. People just get frustrated with what they are doing and let off a bit of steam by saying that they hate what they are doing and want to quit. They dont always mean it. To my recollection, this is the first time that Ali has said this, its not as if he is saying it after every defeat now is it. So i take it as i see it, he is either a little disillusioned right now or he will quit. If he quits then the best of luck to him.

This is all yet to be confirmed if it was actually Ali saying this on Twitter as well.

Postby Roland

Well even if it's not him actually typing, I'm sure he's aware of the content and has approved it

Postby PLtheRef

Eirebilly wrote:It happens sometimes in all walks of life. People just get frustrated with what they are doing and let off a bit of steam by saying that they hate what they are doing and want to quit. They dont always mean it. To my recollection, this is the first time that Ali has said this, its not as if he is saying it after every defeat now is it. So i take it as i see it, he is either a little disillusioned right now or he will quit. If he quits then the best of luck to him.

This is all yet to be confirmed if it was actually Ali saying this on Twitter as well.

Still and it wouldnt shock me if he followed it through. Ali is one of the few (perhaps the single) player who actually has an alternative pursuit and career for what he is trained for with the Piloting

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:He has got a job to go to after snooker I suppose, but not a chance he'll retire yet.

YES Flying comercial Airliners....

i wander how how much work and away from home that intails ???? :?

Postby Eirebilly

Agreed Sonny.

PL, i tend to agree with you. As Sonny said earlier, he probably has more opportunity to earn bigger money consistently as a pilot than as a snooker player. I would not at all be suprised if he followed this up.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:He has got a job to go to after snooker I suppose, but not a chance he'll retire yet.

Haha good point that, duno why it wasn't picked up on before.

Postby Eirebilly

Wild wrote:

Well not really much for a pilot with his limited hours and experience. He will probably do day runs to Europe for many many years so will probably be home most evenings. The long haul jobs are taken up by far more experienced pilots who have served their time doing the day runs. Still its a very well paid job.

Postby Wildey

Eirebilly wrote:
Wild wrote:

Well not really much for a pilot with his limited hours and experience. He will probably do day runs to Europe for many many years so will probably be home most evenings. The long haul jobs are taken up by far more experienced pilots who have served their time doing the day runs. Still its a very well paid job.

hes home most evenings now because hes rubbish <laugh>