Post a reply

Longest serving ref calls it a day.

Postby N_Castle07

Alan Chamberlain, the circuit's longest serving referee, has resigned with immediate effect.

Chamberlain, 67, has officiated on the professional circuit since 1983 but decided to hang up his white gloves on Monday a day before the end of the world qualifiers.

I understand he was exhausted by the long hours the refs were required to work for little financial reward.

Alan refereed the 1997 World Championship final, was a long time official at the Masters and took charge of many other big occasions.

Like many referees, there were moments of controversy too but he was regarded as a very safe pair of hands and his sudden resignation has shocked his fellow officials.

He will continue to referee at the Championship League.
Not the fans or players most favourite ref but still well done for him on a long career in snooker. I believe it is often forgotten how hard it is for the ref’s and how difficult it is to stay concentrated for long periods of time. Steve Davis once said a stupid comment on how the ref’s have it easy and all they need to do is count the points. I’m a bit surprised Alan didn’t wait until after the World Championships to retire.

Re: Longest serving ref calls it a day.

Postby Roland

That's disrespectful you two, he's been a top referee for a long time and he's a nice bloke too. I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:That's disrespectful you two, he's been a top referee for a long time and he's a nice bloke too. I wish him all the best in his retirement.

well true, happy retirement <ok>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sonny wrote:That's disrespectful you two, he's been a top referee for a long time and he's a nice bloke too. I wish him all the best in his retirement.

He refereed me a couple of times & I didn't find that much to like about him. Each to their own I suppose.

Postby Roland

I never had the pleasure of being reffed by him, I'm going on what I've seen on tv and chatting to him when he was up in the balcony seating area of the York Barbican acting as security which shows how much more refs do than what you see on your screen. I thought he was sound, but you can only base your opinions on what you experience.

Postby Wildey

Alan Chamberlain was one of the few Reffs to actually use common sense regarding The Miss rule and People Forget that Subtleties and Remember his personal Persona which was dour.

Overall he was a top Ref and possibly it is Time for him to Go now. Good Luck with the future Alan.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Dave Hendon said this about him on Twitter....

"Alan Chamberlain went home on Monday and will not be returning. He's had enough. Sad news after all the years he's given the sport."