Post a reply

Shaun Murphy; Appearance Money Fair

Postby SnookerFan

From the BBC website;

Shaun Murphy thinks Ronnie O'Sullivan is right to ask for bigger appearance fees for snooker tournaments.

O'Sullivan successfully demanded and received £25,000 to appear at the Power Snooker Masters last month.

Sale player Murphy told BBC Radio Manchester: "I think that it happens in some other sports.

"If you check out Ronnie's matches, they're always packed and when he says he brings added value to the tournament, I think he's right."

The other players received £3,000 each for appearing in the tournament at Event City in Manchester, but Murphy, speaking at the UK Championship in York following his 6-3 first-round win over Li Yan, thinks some players receiving more than others is nothing new in sport.

The former UK and World Champion said: "You could look into golf and see it happening there. I think Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer were the people that started it when they realised that most people were going to watch them."

O'Sullivan, who beat 54-year-old Steve Davis 6-1 in his opening match, plays the winner of Judd Trump versus Dominic Dale, while Murphy will face Martin Gould in the last 16.

The 2005 World Champion was happy to progress to the next round despite not playing his best snooker against the Chinese 19-year-old, and is looking forward to spending some time at home.

"It was a good match to start the tournament for me," he added. "I get to go home and spend a few days in my own bed now and I don't play for another few days."

Discuss.

Re: Shaun Murphy; Appearance Money Fair

Postby Wildey

to be honest i dont have a problem with invitational events even at the masters if you apear you get cash no matter if you dont win a frame or score points.

but not at Ranking events should say Ronnie get more apearance fee than say Martin Gould both are top 16 players should be treated as equal.

Re: Shaun Murphy; Appearance Money Fair

Postby Wildey

i also dont belive players should hold the sport to ransome with it....and i doubt barry hearn in World Snooker events will let that happen.