Topic locked

Re: PTC Finals Table

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:
Wild wrote:and he likes the most boring robotic player thats ever played the game by miles Steve Davis.

Great player :hatoff: rubbish pundit :hatoff:

but he typifies 10x over everything Witz dont like in other players.

I'm not sure people would agree with me here, but I always felt that Davis was actually jealous of Hendry's achievements?

Up to a few years ago, Davis and Everton were by far and a way my favourite contributors on the BBC, but while Everton maintains that position, Davis has plummeted and been replaced by Neal Foulds. Why the BBC persist with muppets like Virgo and Taylor ahead of Everton and Foulds defies all logic.

In a small way I think he did feel some jealousy. At least in his prime. Davis was top dog until Hendry came along. And if it hadn't have been for Hendry's dominance, Davis may have won more and held more records. Like the story I've told of Davis being arsey to me when I met him and mentioned him winning titles, I think there is still a small amount of professional jealousy there. He may well not dislike Hendry. But it's only natural when you're winning everything, and people are telling you that you're the best, to suddenly feel aggrieved when some kid turns up and it starts happening to them.

Postby snooky147

Witz78 wrote:
beergitte wrote:Witz, you don't like any Scottish players, or is it just Higgins?

on a scale of 0-10 this is how much i like all of the following Scottish players.

Hendry - 0/10, never liked him, found him dull, dour, boring, robotic plus as a Jimmy fan he ruined the first half of the 90s

McManus - 5/10 - quite liked him when he emerged but he was always a nearly man, a big fan of his commentary skills now

Higgins - MINUS 10/10 - never liked him, found him smug, he was a door handle that twists to me in a club, guilty as sin parakeet the final nail

Small - 2/10 - found him dull and boring tho had sympathy for him when his back got sore

Dott -3/10 - initially hated him cos of his squeaky voice and style, slowly warming to him cos of his never say die attitude but not exactly a fan

Maguire - 6/10 - liked him when he first emerged due to his style of play and swagger but his attitude lately has put me off him

Campbell - 0/10 - dull, fat, boring, typical deadwood as far as im concerned, a snooker non-entity

Burnett - 0/10 - a piece of trash and that was my view before that 2008 game v Maguire

McGill - 8/10 - the boy wonder and ive tipped him for the top for a while. Ants is my kinda player

To say you are a weirdo would be putting it mildly rofl and no, that's not because you don't like Graeme. People are entitled to their opinions same as I cannot stand Stephen Lee, again not because he has a good record against Graeme. I have loathed this guy since the very first time I went to Pontins with Graeme and caught sight of his sneering, condecending face. So there, we all have our likes and dislikes, without them life would be dull. (Goes to calculate weightwatchers points for breakfast) As for your list, I know all of these guys with the exception of Ants and they are all decent people. A shame that you find it so easy to catergorise them as you do.

Postby Witz78

snooky147 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
beergitte wrote:Witz, you don't like any Scottish players, or is it just Higgins?

on a scale of 0-10 this is how much i like all of the following Scottish players.

Hendry - 0/10, never liked him, found him dull, dour, boring, robotic plus as a Jimmy fan he ruined the first half of the 90s

McManus - 5/10 - quite liked him when he emerged but he was always a nearly man, a big fan of his commentary skills now

Higgins - MINUS 10/10 - never liked him, found him smug, he was a door handle that twists to me in a club, guilty as sin parakeet the final nail

Small - 2/10 - found him dull and boring tho had sympathy for him when his back got sore

Dott -3/10 - initially hated him cos of his squeaky voice and style, slowly warming to him cos of his never say die attitude but not exactly a fan

Maguire - 6/10 - liked him when he first emerged due to his style of play and swagger but his attitude lately has put me off him

Campbell - 0/10 - dull, fat, boring, typical deadwood as far as im concerned, a snooker non-entity

Burnett - 0/10 - a piece of trash and that was my view before that 2008 game v Maguire

McGill - 8/10 - the boy wonder and ive tipped him for the top for a while. Ants is my kinda player

To say you are a weirdo would be putting it mildly rofl and no, that's not because you don't like Graeme. People are entitled to their opinions same as I cannot stand Stephen Lee, again not because he has a good record against Graeme. I have loathed this guy since the very first time I went to Pontins with Graeme and caught sight of his sneering, condecending face. So there, we all have our likes and dislikes, without them life would be dull. (Goes to calculate weightwatchers points for breakfast) As for your list, I know all of these guys with the exception of Ants and they are all decent people. A shame that you find it so easy to catergorise them as you do.

ah right whatever mate

u hate Lee so that makes you a weirdo too then. its ok for u to hate players but not me? (for the record im a fan of Lee)

if anythings weird its muppets that feel obliged to support and like everyone whos the same nationality as them, sod that, freedom of choice i say

ive hardly catergorised these guys easily, ive watched them play for years and seen them about and spoke to most of them at some point. Im not going to be false and kid on i like them or do the politically correct thing to keep the rest of yous sweet.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:and he likes the most boring robotic player thats ever played the game by miles Steve Davis.

i think youll find thats your man Hendry.

the real Davis emerged once the glory days were over and the Iceman image turned out to be a facade and he was really an extrovert wisecracking genuine good guy whos endeared himself to 99% of snooker fans since, unlike dour Hendry who still thinks its 1993 and hes the dominant force <doh>

Postby snooky147

To say you are a weirdo would be putting it mildly rofl and no, that's not because you don't like Graeme. People are entitled to their opinions same as I cannot stand Stephen Lee, again not because he has a good record against Graeme. I have loathed this guy since the very first time I went to Pontins with Graeme and caught sight of his sneering, condecending face. So there, we all have our likes and dislikes, without them life would be dull. (Goes to calculate weightwatchers points for breakfast) As for your list, I know all of these guys with the exception of Ants and they are all decent people. A shame that you find it so easy to catergorise them as you do.[/quote]

ah right whatever mate

u hate Lee so that makes you a weirdo too then. its ok for u to hate players but not me? (for the record im a fan of Lee)

if anythings weird its muppets that feel obliged to support and like everyone whos the same nationality as them, sod that, freedom of choice i say

ive hardly catergorised these guys easily, ive watched them play for years and seen them about and spoke to most of them at some point. Im not going to be false and kid on i like them or do the politically correct thing to keep the rest of yous sweet.[/quote]

I very well may be a weirdo too mate :blush: and I agree with you on the freedom of choice as well. I also would not dream of being politically correct either. Oh and I know you are a fan of Lee too. So dont take my comments the wrong way.I was on the Scottish Scene for a lotta years, both playing in pro ams and taking Graeme here and there and was also with him on the pro circuit for a while so I too have talked to these players quite a bit and Marcus in particular I got to know quite well. to label him boring is ridiculous but again I imagine thats just down to individual taste.

Postby Witz78

Dotts popularity in my estimations is on an upward curve slightly though this is prob as much down to his dad whos a top guy and who we always have a good laugh talking to. Hes a right bag of nerves when Graemes playing haha

Postby snooky147

Yeah, John is great and yep, he is a bag of nerves when he watches. I was too to be honest whenever I went to venues. I very well remember his first time at the crucible, coming back at Wattana and thinking...yesss he has him here only for lady luck to intervene and block both black and pink.
I recently added the ability to capture video to the PC and have his max on tape from the yellow ball, as it was on outside table. I need to spend some time cleaning it up but I will stick it on Youtube when I do.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

i think youll find thats your man Hendry.

the real Davis emerged once the glory days were over and the Iceman image turned out to be a facade and he was really an extrovert wisecracking genuine good guy whos endeared himself to 99% of snooker fans since, unlike dour Hendry who still thinks its 1993 and hes the dominant force <doh>

compared To Davis Hendry is Alex Higgins.

christ Steve did everything Robotic to the point he took a sip of water in exactly the same way every time you are blinded mate rofl rofl rofl

and regarding Davis the joker christ thats so not him its embarasing sometimes the real Davis was the guy you saw in the 80s hes just learned to laugh off the hurt that Hendry totally owned him.

Postby SnookerFan

I do think that Hendry has more of a personality/sense of humour then he shows when he's at the table. When he's done commentary, I think he sometimes throws the odd sly joke in about his other co-commentator. And I think in interviews he also comes across like he has a dry sense of humour. His banter with Mark Williams tends to come across as a good example of this.

When he's playing, and he's on the table though he comes across differently. Poker faced, and with a stern will to win. Which is why he won so much in his prime, but also why he comes across as being boring too. He's never going to be Michael Holt type that can't have a fart without pulling a face and waving his arms around so people know what he's thinking. Or the International Playboi a lot of seem to want these days. But I think a sense of humour is there, just well hidden.

I do hope, if he is steadily marching towards retirement, that we still see him in commentary, and he opens himself up a bit more.

Postby SnookerFan

And I kind of agree with Witz as well. The bit about rooting for your countrymen. Snooker in particular isn't a sport whereby that's a massive factor. You like who like. I like Ding, and quite like Neil Robertson. I've disliked people who are English, but liked Welsh and Scots. There's so many UK based players, it's no issue at all really.

Snooker somehow doesn't lend itself to nationality, you tend to chose people you like based on personality/style.

Postby Wildey

dont give a toss about being patriotic but dont dress up some players as boring if he cant see who the most boring player thats ever played.

Steve Davis only vice was playing space invadors in his hotel room.

christ John Higgins been involved in snookers biggest scandal and even Hendry has drived a golf buggy while snake hissed.

Postby Wildey

After PTC 5

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan ----
2 Mark Selby ----
3 Andrew Higginson up 21
4 Judd Trump down 1
5 Ben Woollaston down 1
6 Graeme Dott down 1
7 John Higgins up 14
8 Mark Davis down 2
-------------------------------------------------------
9 Joe Perry up 2
10 Ding Junhui down 3
11 Neil Robertson up 1
12 Barry Hawkins up 6
13 Xiao Guodong down 4
14 Fergal O'Brien down 4
15 Joe Jogia down 4
16 Jamie Jones down 3
17 Stephen Lee down 3
18 Marcus Campbell down 3
19 Anthony McGill down 3
20 Jack Lisowski new entry
21 Michael Holt new entry
22 Yu Delu down 5
23 Jamie Burnett new entry
24 Martin Gould new entry

Cut Off Point 2,800

Postby Wildey

heres a thought Defending Champion Shaun Murphy is Currently 65th on 1,000 points He might not Qualify to defend his title.

Postby Witz78

im surprised to see Suwannawatt not in the top 24 given his form and decent runs in the PTCs

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:im surprised to see Suwannawatt not in the top 24 given his form and decent runs in the PTCs

he is on 2,700 points

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:And I kind of agree with Witz as well. The bit about rooting for your countrymen. Snooker in particular isn't a sport whereby that's a massive factor. You like who like. I like Ding, and quite like Neil Robertson. I've disliked people who are English, but liked Welsh and Scots. There's so many UK based players, it's no issue at all really.

Snooker somehow doesn't lend itself to nationality, you tend to chose people you like based on personality/style.

True enough.

Although Ken Doherty was always one of my absolute favourites, I can't say I ever rooted much for Swail, O'Brien, Judge or Delaney because I found them all quite boring. I like Mark Allen, and Davy Morris, but my favourites would have been O'Sullivan , Stevens, Williams & Doherty, three of which aren't Irish at all. Higgins was also well up there, and Dott.

I also like Trump, Selby, Ding & Robertson, amongst others.

Postby Wildey

After PTC 6

1 Neil Robertson up 10
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan down 1
3 Judd Trump up 1
4 Ben Woollaston up 1
5 Mark Selby down 3
6 Andrew Higginson down 3
7 Graeme Dott down 1
8 John Higgins down 1
9 Mark Davis down 1
10 Xiao Guodong up 3
11 Joe Perry down 2
12 Ricky Walden new entry
13 Stephen Lee up 4
14 Fergal O'Brien ----
15 Ding Junhui down 5
16 Barry Hawkins down 4
17 Joe Jogia down 2
18 Jack Lisowski up 2
19 Jamie Jones down 3
20 Steve Davis new entry
21 Marcus Campbell down 3
22 Anthony McGill down 3
23 Michael Holt down 2
24 Matthew Selt new entry
24 Stephen Maguire new entry

Cut Off Point 3,200 Points

Postby Wildey

After PTC 7

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan up 1
2 Neil Robertson down 1
3 Judd Trump -----
4 Andrew Higginson up 2
5 Ben Woollaston down 1
6 Mark Selby down 1
7 Graeme Dott -----
8 Joe Perry up 3
9 Mark Davis ------
10 John Higgins down 2
11 Xiao Guodong down 1
12 Ricky Walden ------
13 Stephen Lee------
14 Matthew Stevens New Entry
15 Fergal O'Brien down 1
16 Jamie Jones up 3
17 Ding Junhui down 2
18 Barry Hawkins down 2
19 Michael White New Entry
20 Steve Davis -----
21 Joe Jogia down 4
22 Jack Lisowski down 3
23 Michael Holt -----
24 Stephen Maguire -----

Cut Off Point 4,200 Points

Postby vodkadiet

Wild wrote:After PTC 7

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan up 1
2 Neil Robertson down 1
3 Judd Trump -----
4 Andrew Higginson up 2
5 Ben Woollaston down 1
6 Mark Selby down 1
7 Graeme Dott -----
8 Joe Perry up 3
9 Mark Davis ------
10 John Higgins down 2
11 Xiao Guodong down 1
12 Ricky Walden ------
13 Stephen Lee------
14 Matthew Stevens New Entry
15 Fergal O'Brien down 1
16 Jamie Jones up 3
17 Ding Junhui down 2
18 Barry Hawkins down 2
19 Michael White New Entry
20 Steve Davis -----
21 Joe Jogia down 4
22 Jack Lisowski down 3
23 Michael Holt -----
24 Stephen Maguire -----

Cut Off Point 4,200 Points

Who cares about all this rubbish? Even winning The PTC finals 'ain't worth a rub'. :D

Postby Wildey

After PTC 8

1 Neil Robertson up 1
2 Ronnie O'Sullivan down 1
3 Judd Trump -----
4 Mark Selby up 2
5 Ben Woollaston -----
6 Andrew Higginson down 2
7 Graeme Dott -----
8 John Higgins up 2
9 Joe Perry down 1
10 Mark Davis down 1
11 Stephen Leeup 2
12 Xiao Guodong down 1
13 Ricky Walden down 1
14 Matthew Stevens -----
15 Barry Hawkins up 3
16 Jamie Jones -----
17 Fergal O'Brien down 2
18 Ding Junhui down 1
19 Joe Jogia up 2
20 Michael White down 1
21 Steve Davis down 1
22 Jack Lisowski down 3
23 Stephen Maguire up 1
24 Jimmy Robertson New Entry

Cut Off Point 4,700 Points

Postby Wildey

After PTC 9

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan up 1
2 Judd Trump up 1
3 Neil Robertson down 2
4 Mark Selby -----
5 Ben Woollaston -----
6 Andrew Higginson -----
7 Graeme Dott -----
8 John Higgins -----
9 Stephen Leeup 2
10 Mark Davis -----
11 Joe Perry down 2
12 Matthew Stevens up 2
13 Xiao Guodong down 1
14 Ricky Walden down 1
15 Barry Hawkins -----
16 Fergal O'Brien up 1
17 Martin Gould New Entry
18 Jamie Jones down 2
19 Jack Lisowski up 3
20 Michael White -----
21 Ding Junhui down 3
22 Joe Jogia down 3
23 Steve Davis down 2
24 Alan Mcmanus New Entry

Cut Off Point 5,400 Points

Defending PTC Grand Final Champion
27 Shaun Murphy 4,600 Points

Postby Wildey

After PTC 10

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan-----
2 Judd Trump-----
3 Neil Robertson-----
4 Mark Selby-----
5 Ben Woollaston-----
6 Andrew Higginson-----
7 Michael Holt New Entry
8 Graeme Dottdown 1
------------------------------------------------------
9 John Higginsdown 1
10 Stephen Leedown 1
11 Joe Perry-----
12 Ricky Waldenup 2
13 Mark Davisdown 3
14 Matthew Stevensdown 2
15 Xiao Guodongdown 2
16 Fergal O'Brien-----
17 Barry Hawkinsdown 2
18 Martin Goulddown 1
19 Dominic Dale New Entry
20 Jamie Jones down 2
21 Jack Lisowski down 2
22 Michael White down 2
23 Ding Junhui down 2
24 Steve Davis down 1
24 Joe Jogia down 2

Cut Off Point 5,700 Points

Defending PTC Grand Final Champion
31 Shaun Murphy 4,800 Points

Postby Tubberlad

John Higgins has been well below his best... and is still on the verge of the top eight... looking at the list, this year's PTC finals are set to be far better than last year's.

Postby Wildey

PTC Grand Finals

Confirmed

Judd Trump
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Neil Robertson
Michael Holt
Mark Selby
Andrew Higginson
Graeme Dott
Ben Woollaston
Martin Gould
Tom Ford
John Higgins
Joe Perry
Stephen Lee
Ricky Walden
Mark Davis
Matthew Stevens
Xiao Guodong
Fergal O'Brien
Stephen Maguire
Ding Junhui
Dominic Dale
Barry Hawkins
Jamie Jones

Pending

Jack Lisowski
Stephen Hendry (if he reaches PTC 12 Final)

Postby Witz78

Tubberlad wrote:John Higgins has been well below his best... and is still on the verge of the top eight... looking at the list, this year's PTC finals are set to be far better than last year's.

this year the penny dropped with the big names that they had to play in the PTCs

and with 75k for the winner of the grand final, theres a good incentive for them to put up and shut up and go about earning the points required to make the finals.