Topic locked

Who does everybody want to win the first round matches?

Postby SnookerFan

So, just for fun, who does everybody want to win each of the first rounds of the UK Championship? This is not a prediction contest, we aren’t picking who we think will win. Who will we be rooting for in each match? Feel free to explain why in any of the matches.

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = Want Honest John to win, to infuriate the boo-boys. Also, if Rory goes through he’ll still be playing his second round match when the semis are on.

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = I want Stephen to win…

Sorry, I thought I’d get that joke out of the way before somebody else does it. It’ll be good to see Hendry have a run in a tournament. How many more has he left in him?

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = Steve Davis. Partly because he’s a legend, and partly because Ronnie is a bell-end.

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = I want Dale to win. No Judd hating here, it’s just Dale is a top bloke, and Judd will have many more tournament runs in him. Will Dale?

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding. Just like him better.

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Matchew. I like him better, and it’ll put my mate sundaygirl in a good mood.

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Matthew Selt. I’ll keep rooting for him to win, until we get a televised Selty vs Selby match.

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Neil Robertson. I like his entrance music.

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Mark Williams. About time he didn’t balls up a ranking event.

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden = Like both men, could take either a win. Slightly favour Walden, just because I haven’t seen him play much lately. Should be a cracker. I refuse to bold either player.

Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = Forum favourite Gould. :D

Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = Rober Milkins. Just because Ali is a bit of a idiot.

Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = Mark Allen. About time he won a ranker too.

Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = Don’t mind. A match that should be good. Will be happy whoever wins.

Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = Mark Selby. Keep Sonny happy. And the hopes of Selby vs Selty alive.

Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan = I like watching Murphy play, as long as I don't have to listen to him talk afterwards.

What say everybody else?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 24 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Who does everybody want to win the first round matches?

Postby mishcka

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = John, my dad is a dentist, I love dentists, but I simply do not like Mcleod.
Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry =Hendry Hendry Hendry (wishfull thinking on my part).
Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = ROS, because he needs the points and because a 2nd round clash with Judd should be the game of the tournament.
Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = I really want Dale to win. but I also want to see ROS v Trump again... I'll sheer for DOM in the German Masters. sorry! :emb:
Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding, the other guy is just redundant.
Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Matthew :D :D :D
Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = whoever.
Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Neil Robertson; Ford has no chance.
Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Mark Williams; who will probably win this championship (or Higgins, or Selby).
Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden =LEE. He's got one of the best cue actions; and I like him.
Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = GOULDY :D :D :D (my new favourite player).
Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = whoever!
Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = Allen!
Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = FU! Binghm = :no:
Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = does it matter who i want to win? Selby will win this one.
Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan : Yan, he is so cute.

Postby randam05

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = Dont like rory.
Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = Hendry.. as I dont like mags attitude or style of play and it would be nice to see hendry do well here
Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = Well what a legend, did amazing to qualify and it would send shivers down my spine for him to win this match, similar to when he beat higgins at the worlds, it was just magical, steve is such an inspiration and love seeing him do well. Also love the fact you can see how much it means to him.
Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Legend. Great guy. Dont enjoy the hype of trump. Super player. He loves snooker. Funny. I dont need to say why.
Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Couldnt care less. urmm Davis :-)
Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Jeez, theres some dull matches. Stevens I suppose
Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Dott!
Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Neil Robertson. I love his style of play and his attitude is superb. Want to see him win this UK. Some of the shots he does and amazing and he cues the best in the game at the moment. Joy to watch
Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Mark Williams. The best player to watch alongside ronnie when on form. Want to see him play well and take it far. Incredible to watch him flow.
Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walen = Walden by a long way. Love his style of play and dearly want him back in the top 16 instead of bingham or davis. A very good player.
Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = Gould! Great player enjoying a real high would love to see him continue. Lines is urm not one of my favourites by a long way.
Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = Robert Carter.. I dont mind haha. Carter I suppose. But then Id love to see one of On Q's players do well, they deserve it!
Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = Mark Allen, dont know why Gunnell is there to be honest, not done a thing for ages. Must have found some form I guesss looking at recent matches. But I love watching Allen a lot so Allen by far.
Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = Nothing against bingham he seems a top guy, But hate his style of play and cue action. Fu however I really like to watch as a player. So calm and the best temperament in the game. Really want to see him back in the elite, he definitley deserves to be there and would like to see him have a good run here.
Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = Mark Selby. Cantr stand Day as a player. And obvs Selby is in my top few players and hes a joy to watch. Selby = 6-0 please :-)
Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan= Just like murphy more. Good player and a funny character with a strong personality!

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = I want Dale to win. No Judd hating here, it’s just Dale is a top bloke, and Judd will have many more tournament runs in him. Will Dale?

Honestly the Trump hatahs on this phorum are making me sick :td: :td: :td:

Postby Bourne

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = I'll be rooting for Rory but either way a loada people are gona be snake hissed off whoever wins so i'm happy haha
Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = I think Hendo's got a few runs in him yet. Mags' downward spiral actually depresses me more so i'll go with the GOAT.
Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = Gota be the nugget, any way in which Judd can get an easier run to the final is alright with me. But having said that, as a snooker fan, I wouldn't mind another Antwerp.
Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Next.
Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = No-brainer, I don't think even Mark wants himself to win.
Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Cmon Matty, I basically gave up hope in you after Sheffield but there's some fight there still. Shorter format in major helps him mentally I reckon.
Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Only cos it would be better for Judd to have some more groupies cheering him on later in the tournament.
Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = I still remember the 2010 World qualies Tom, never forget that day you stole a bucking truckload of money from me. Plus I like Jono.
Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = If it brings out some of smart's photos during the in-play discussion threads, then i'm all for it haha.
Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden = Most 50/50 of the lot but I kinda feel Stephen's owed one after that great match in the UK last year so i'll edge him.
Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = Same reason as Jogia, but anyways how can you not like Gouldy ?
Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = Don't mind either but I like Rob's kamikaze style a bit more so i'll say him.
Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = Gwan the pistol, shoot dead the deadwood !
Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = Can they both lose ? OK i'll say Stu, only cos i'd like to see him 'n the Pistol 'ave some fisticuffs later in the week if they meet.
Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = The taff titan, cos I don't like Selby.
Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan = Gota be Li even though I can't recall off the top of my head what he looks like haha, not a big fan of Shaun.

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = I want Dale to win. No Judd hating here, it’s just Dale is a top bloke, and Judd will have many more tournament runs in him. Will Dale?

Honestly the Trump hatahs on this phorum are making me sick :td: :td: :td:

You were the exact person I had in mind when I pointed out it was nothing personal to Judd. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = I think Hendo's got a few runs in him yet. Mags' downward spiral actually depresses me more so i'll go with the GOAT.

Mags downward spiral depresses you, so you want him to lose the first round? :huh:

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
Bourne wrote:Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = I think Hendo's got a few runs in him yet. Mags' downward spiral actually depresses me more so i'll go with the GOAT.

Mags downward spiral depresses you, so you want him to lose the first round? :huh:

Yeh cos now i've lost all faith in him, he's 'ad enough time to turn it around but he's crossed the line now. I don't care about him anymore <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:Yeh cos now i've lost all faith in him, he's 'ad enough time to turn it around but he's crossed the line now. I don't care about him anymore <ok>

rofl

That's pretty much everybody's opinion of him, I reckon. I don't recall meeting to many mad-Maguire fans. He seems an alright guy, but he seems to be phoning it in now, and people can tell. He's begging to put on weight too. That's an indication of how driven he is.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 24 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

I remember a few years ago after he had a bit of criticism over his weight, that after the summer recess he came back and bragged about the fact he'd worked really hard on his fitness, which to be fair he had. Then by about the UKs, he'd gone back to his previous size <doh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = don't really care and Higgins will win this match - the question is who can defeat the reigning snooker king and strip him of one of his most precious crowns? However he's a HUGE scalp his tournament and Higgins showed in the past that he couldn't deal too well with this kind of pressure (but who did?).

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = I like him more

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = If Steve would play ANYONE else I would root for him

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = I like Trump but it would make it a lot harder for Ronnie in the next round so I'll with Dale

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Of course Ding. By the way why does nobody dislike Ding on this forum? (Or does anyone?)

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = don't care, but probably Campbell because of Ronnies ranking position

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = may the best man win :hatoff:

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Neil Robertson. He needs to keep the lower side of the draw interesting.

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Mark Williams. Why not?

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden = it's about time Ricky can produce some good snooker again

Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = GOULD!

Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = same reason as Robbo

Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = same reason as Robbo

Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = may the best man win

Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = if the were on the upper side of the draw I would choose Day, but he isn't so probably Selby

Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan = same as Selby

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:I remember a few years ago after he had a bit of criticism over his weight, that after the summer recess he came back and bragged about the fact he'd worked really hard on his fitness, which to be fair he had. Then by about the UKs, he'd gone back to his previous size <doh>

yoiu talking about Maguire or Snookerfan ? :dinner:

Postby Smart

S/fan :D
Totally love this thread. :hatoff:

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = Obvious reason. Lets just hope this match goes to the final black of the final frame and Rory flukes it outrageously then as he is shaking hands he asks HJ: "would you like to have a few vodkas now".

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = Not really fussed about this one really, this is a match I will happily watch in a state of drunkeness, what time will this one be played......?

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = No offence to Steve but I want to see ROS vs JT, end of.

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Let the moaner take an early bath, or will he complain the water is too hot/cold*. Delete as applicable.

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding is class and I love watching him, especially his breakbuilding.

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Dumbarton :-D (and I have met him so a possible photo posting opp).

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Dotty is a top bloke - not at all shady and I enjoy Dotty's style of play. Jonos bum boy = early bath. <ok>

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Fordy, please please please.

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Would love to see Joe have a decent run in this one and I will be rooting for him. Think a little bet might be placed on him too.

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden = C'mon Wicky.

Martin Gould vs Peter Lines = Forum favourite Gould. :D

Ali Carter vs Robert Milkins = Love Ali's cue action and also like Robert Milkins attacking style but just prefer Ali that little bit more, tough call, sorry Rob.

Mark Allen vs Adrian Gunnell = Mark Allen.......would love to see a contest with Big Hands.

Stuart Bingham vs Marco Fu = Bingham only because I want to see Allen re-match.

Mark Selby vs Ryan Day = Mark Selby. Wanna see the bigger names progress.

Shaun Murphy vs Li Yan = Wanna see the bigger names progress.

:gag:

Postby Casey

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = If it brings out some of smart's photos during the in-play discussion threads, then i'm all for it haha.

Hahaha - Bourne can you believe those boys didn't share Jogia's horse tip with me :sad:

Postby Casey

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = Higgins. It would be good to see the greatest player of his gen get his season back on track.

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = Hendo....nuf said.

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = Normally I would go for Steve, but with a possible Trump v Ronnie round 2, I have to go for Ronnie.

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Trump all the way. Boom!

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding. Has a great record in this event and I can see him putting in a good show.

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Matthew, he is the better player.

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Dott, a good solid performance from him would be good.

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Robbo all the way.

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Williams, will feel he should have won it last year.

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden = Lee, great talent and good to see him back in the 16.

Postby Muppet147

John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = McLeod. Higgins is a parakeet who should be in jail.

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = Maguire. Hendry is a miserable runt.

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = O'Sullivan, would like to see him go far in the tournament.

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Trump can sparkle like he did at the Crucible.

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding playing well is a joy to see.

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Stevens, not bothered though if Campbell wins.

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Dott, deserves a decent run.

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Robertson.

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Jogia. Williams is a bore.

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden =Walden. Lee is a fat runt.

Postby Witz78

Muppet147 wrote:John Higgins vs Rory McLeod = McLeod. Higgins is a parakeet who should be in jail. :hatoff:

Stephen Maguire vs Stephen Hendry = Maguire. Hendry is a miserable runt. :clap:

Ronnie O’Sullivan vs Steve Davis = O'Sullivan, would like to see him go far in the tournament. <cool>

Judd Trump vs Dominic Dale = Trump can sparkle like he did at the Crucible. :bowdown:

Ding Junhui vs Mark Davis = Ding playing well is a joy to see. <ok>

Matthew Stevens vs Marcus Campbell = Stevens, not bothered though if Campbell wins. :irk:

Graeme Dott vs Matthew Selt = Dott, deserves a decent run. :fart:

Neil Robertson vs Tom Ford = Robertson. Jono

Mark Williams vs Joe Jogia = Jogia. Williams is a bore. :hyper:

Stephen Lee vs Ricky Walden =Walden. Lee is a fat runt. :dinner: yes but i still want him to win

Postby mediter

Strange thing is that Ebdon has been pretty much no-show this year.. Didn´t even qualify for this ! I reckon the bloke is getting used to this new era. But he has sheer class in him, so he should get back on top sooner or later.

Hendry vs Maguire and O`Sullivan vs Davis are only interesting 1. round matches here for me. The Scottish tussle could be a cracking breakbuilding fest if both are on, and interesting to see what Nugget can do against Ronnie... We know what Ronnie will do, but how can Steve answer ?

Postby Witz78

mediter wrote:Strange thing is that Ebdon has been pretty much no-show this year.. Didn´t even qualify for this ! I reckon the bloke is getting used to this new era. But he has sheer class in him, so he should get back on top sooner or later.

Hendry vs Maguire and O`Sullivan vs Davis are only interesting 1. round matches here for me. The Scottish tussle could be a cracking breakbuilding fest if both are on, and interesting to see what Nugget can do against Ronnie... We know what Ronnie will do, but how can Steve answer ?

id disagree

we know what STEVE will do, but how can RONNIE answer <ok>

Honestly can see Steve making a game of it and frustrating Ronnie, id expect Ronnie to prevail around 6-3 though.

Postby SnookerFan

mediter wrote:Strange thing is that Ebdon has been pretty much no-show this year.. Didn´t even qualify for this ! I reckon the bloke is getting used to this new era. But he has sheer class in him, so he should get back on top sooner or later.

I think there's a few good 'uns there. Judd vs Dale being the one I most look forward to. But also Selby vs Day, Bingham vs Fu and Stephen Lee vs Walden being the other ones I'm really looking forward to.

And though there's a lot of qualifiers there who don't qualify for full rankers a lot, sometimes that provides upsets along the way too.