Post a reply

Your ideal tour calendar ?

Postby Witz78

With much debate over the current tournaments, potential future tournaments and the merits of some of the existing tournaments, id like to know what your ideal snooker tour season would look like.

- How many main rankers would you have?
- Where would these be held?
- What would the PTC events consist of in your season?
- Where would invitationals and novelty events fit into your season?
- If you want to add ranking tariffs to events feel free

Re: Your ideal tour calendar ?

Postby Wildey

10 Ranking events was the most theres ever Been but in 1992 season there was PTC style Minor Ranking Events.

the 1992/1993 Season Looked Like This

Ranking
minor Ranking
Invitational

---------------------------------------------------

World Series Kent Classic
Regal Scottish Masters

Dubai Classic
Rothmans Grand Prix

Humo Belgian Classic
B+H Championship
UK Championship
World Matchplay
The Strachan Challange 1
European Challange
The Strachan Challange 2
Welsh Open
The Strachan Challange 3
The B+H Masters
European Open
British Open
Asian Open

B+H Irish Masters
International Open
World Championship

Matchroom League

so in effect before the PTC that was the most Full Ranking Season

now i Believe we need a few invitational events and Novelty Events like the Shootout even Power Snooker.

i think that 91/92 season had the Right Mix of events so how id Do it is

10 Ranking Events (Australia,Shanghai,China,UK,British Open (instead of welsh open where it can go from NI,ENG,SCO and WALES on rotation)India,World Open,Germany,Belgium and World Championship.

8 PTC events but played in proper venues not this sheffield crap.

Invitationals Masters,Wuxi,Irish Masters (need that back) Brazil,

World Cup and a Doubles Tournament

Shootout,PL (done right) and yes Power Snooker has a place but not to go over the top and over do them.

Postby Witz78

ok ill do a Wild and reply to my own questions :D

MAIN RANKERS

id have 8 small rankers, 3 larger ranker and 3 major rankers.

8 normal rankers - 6,000 points each
Welsh Open
Belgium Open
Scottish Open
Irish Open
German Open
Wuxi Classic
Australian Open
Brazil Masters

Larger rankers - 8,000 points
Shanghai Masters
German Masters
European Open

Major rankers
China Open - 10,000 pts
UK Champs - 12,000 pts
World Championships - 16,000 pts

PTC and SMALLER RANKING EVENTS

Id have 6 PTC events, 2 in UK and 4 abroad - worth 2,000 points each

the PTC would offer a proper fair direct route onto tour for amateurs
thered be no obligation for the top guys to play the PTCs as thered no longer be a PTC finals, itd simply be a supplementary tour running alongside the main one to give more opportunities to the lower ranked guys.

Id also have a Shotclock ranker worth 4,000 points, perhaps the Sky Shootout upgraded.

INVITATIONALS AND NOVELTY EVENTS

Premier League to be a one week long Sky event
Championship League to be scrapped
Masters to remain as it is
Power Snooker to be expanded to 2/3 events per season

OTHER

Fully rolling rankings updated after each event and qualifying evens played in the week before an event

Only the top 10 being elite and gaining direct entry into the events proper

Drink allowed into all arenas

Postby Monique

I won't elaborate on my ideal calendar but to me reducing the PL into a one week event is a big mistake. One important thing the PL does is to bring snooker in areas of UK where people have no opportunity to see snooker live and that should be kept this way.
Also I think that 10 rankers is more than enough. That's the most there ever was and it goes back to early 90th, when players were extremely busy. We could have 8-10 PTCs, why not? but with only 4-5 best results counting into the rankings, and with best reward and focus on quality. And the PTC grand final, like the Masters should be prestigious, well paid but not ranking.
I know that I'm calling for rotten tomatoes but for me we don't need Australia or India just now. I'd rather have 2 rankers in mainland Europe, where interest is high and costs reasonable for the players.

Postby vodkadiet

I would have: World Championship;
UK(best of 17 from round 1)
German Open
China Open
Antwerp Open
Scottish Open
Irish Open
Thailand Open

Masters.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I won't elaborate on my ideal calendar but to me reducing the PL into a one week event is a big mistake. One important thing the PL does is to bring snooker in areas of UK where people have no opportunity to see snooker live and that should be kept this way.
Also I think that 10 rankers is more than enough. That's the most there ever was and it goes back to early 90th, when players were extremely busy. We could have 8-10 PTCs, why not? but with only 4-5 best results counting into the rankings, and with best reward and focus on quality. And the PTC grand final, like the Masters should be prestigious, well paid but not ranking.
I know that I'm calling for rotten tomatoes but for me we don't need Australia or India just now. I'd rather have 2 rankers in mainland Europe, where interest is high and costs reasonable for the players.

monique with respect you are pinning your hopes on some countries the WORLD is a big place think small like you and sorry players will earn small.

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:
Monique wrote:I won't elaborate on my ideal calendar but to me reducing the PL into a one week event is a big mistake. One important thing the PL does is to bring snooker in areas of UK where people have no opportunity to see snooker live and that should be kept this way.

monique with respect you are pinning your hopes on some countries the WORLD is a big place think small like you and sorry players will earn small.

Wild the world is a big place but when resources are limited you better invest first where it's affordable AND there is a clear market. AFTER that, when those markets are established and yield money, THEN with more resources you expand.
There is plenty of room to grow in Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, Poland and you have seen the crowds.
I'm not thinking small, I'm thinking progressive expansion as opposed to dispersing the resources everywhere and funding nowhere properly

Postby Wildey

no monique put all your eggs in to a few baskets will not do that what old snooker regimes did with thailand and the middle east then when they was not there no more snooker was up the creek without a paddle.

we got to move forward while we got belgium and germany to fall back on and try and do something similar in other countries never sit back happy with your lot allways move on to bigger and better things while its HOT to do so.

Postby Witz78

by giving so many different countries an appetiser of snooker the waters being tested and then if lots of them like what they see and want a piece of the action, then the clamour for a slice of the pie will go through the roof and theyll all be throwing money at the sport to satisfy local demand.

weve been 2 complacent with China up until now putting all our eggs in one basket, hence theyve only coughed up sweetie money as prizes so far.

My number 1 aim if i was Hearn would be to get cash f0r the Asian tournaments at the very least doubled.

100 million watching on tv

millions playing

massive interest in the sport

fastest growing economy in the world

lots of potential big sponsors

lots of pros and amateur players

yet the Chinese contribute the mighty sum of around £650,000 into the sport every year in their ranking events

its bloody laughable i tell you

Postby Wildey

yup china is holding all the cards lets up the stakes see just how much they want snooker...

Postby Tubberlad

Okay then...

Ranking events:

World Championship (major tournament)
Format: as it is
Winners points: 16,000

UK Championship (major tournament)
Format: Best-of-17's for the first three rounds, best of 25 semi-finals, Best-of-31 final
Winners points: 12,000

China Open (major tournament)
Format: Best-of-9's for first two round, best-of-11 quarter-finals, best-of-17 semi-finals, best-of 19 final
Winners points: 10,000

World Matchplay (Shanghai Masters)
Format: First to four frames, possibly up to six (win by two). Final up to eight, possibly ten)
Winners points: 8,000

Grand Slam (Wuxi Classic)
Format: Eight groups of four, each match best-of-6 frames. Top two in each group make round two, then it's best-of-7's, best-of-9's, best-of-11's, best-of-17

World Grand Prix (Welsh Open)
Format: Set play

British Open (Gloucester)
Format: Standard

Australian Open
Format: As it is

World Open (Glasgow)
Format: like last year's World Open

European Masters
Format: As it is, no dividers

Belgium Open

Northern Ireland Trophy

Players Championship Finals
Format: As it is
Winners points: 6,000

Brazil Masters
Format: 20 second shot clock
Winners points: 3,000

8xPTC's
4 in mainland Europe, two in Asia, two in Gloucester

Invitationals:

The Masters (major tournament, bring in best-of-17 semi-finals)
World Cup
Irish Masters (a must)
Seniors (without shot clock)
Premier League (one week event)
Premier Championship (20 second shot clock, top 8 players in the world)
Shootout
Power Snooker

Postby Monique

Wild wrote:no monique put all your eggs in to a few baskets will not do that what old snooker regimes did with thailand and the middle east then when they was not there no more snooker was up the creek without a paddle.

we got to move forward while we got belgium and germany to fall back on and try and do something similar in other countries never sit back happy with your lot allways move on to bigger and better things while its HOT to do so.

I'm not putting my eggs all in the same basket. Obviously China is here to stay and grow, and Thailand should get a ranker well before thinking about Australia because they have history and there snooker has structures and it's only to look at how mainly young thais are coming through.
Actually India also has history, and players, but it's such a huge country, poor and "fragmented" politically that I think WSA will need more time and resources before being able to venture there.

Wild, managing resources in an organisation is not that different to managing your own budget. You have to know the limits, and you have to care for the essentials before going for extravaganzas. Sir Rodney's administration did wrong by not investing and the tour shrunk. Barry is launching things all azimuth and I think - that's my opinion - that he is going too fast and that it could and probably will backfire at the sport.

Postby Wildey

we got to build new history like witz sais china too comfterble they call the shots we need to get in to a possition where snooker has a bidding war between countries so that it will push up prize money..

sitting back waiting for it to happen fails and where snooker is today shows the failure.

and now monique telling Barry Hearn how buisness works :chin:

Postby roy142857

Well, as the question was for 'ideal' calendar, the following is what I'd like in the mid to long term, not for now (but need to know where you're going to build in the right direction). The following certainly assumes a substantial increase in the number of Asia/Oceania based players over what we have now. So...

At the pinnacle, a World Championship worth 20,000 points, played in a different country each year.

3 majors, each worth 12,000 points:-

UK Championship held at the Crucible.
European Open, played in a different country each year.
Asian Open, played in a different country in South or East Asia, or Oceania, each year.

8 ordinary main tour events, each worth 8,000 points:-

Australia
Brazil
China
Germany
India
Thailand
UK
World Open, to be held each year in a country that doesn't have a main tour event that year.

2 special events, each worth 6000 points:-

A World Doubles Championship, played in alternate shot format, any player can pair with any player except players in the top 16 may not pair with each other.

Players Tour Championship Finals (played by 24 qualifiers from the tours listed below).

Players Tour Championship - upgraded from the current situation so they are all played in front of an paying audience, consisting of 20 Players Tour events, each worth 3000 points but only the best 5 scoring events count for each player in the overall rankings (so maximum points would be 15,000), but 6 best counting towards PTC Finals qualification. Divided as follows:-

European Tour of 8 events in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Belgium, Germany, Poland, 8th event in a different country each year. Top 9 points scorers qualify for Finals, with top 4 getting a first round bye.

Asian Tour of 8 events in Australia, China, 2nd China, India, 2nd India, New Zealand, Thailand, 8th event in a different country each year. Top 9 points scorers qualify for Finals, with top 4 getting a first round bye.

(Expected that there whenever there was a European Tour event on, there would be an Asian event on too)

Players Tour Championship International - 4 one-off events in Africa, Middle East/Central Asia, North America and South America, the winner of each qualifying for the Finals, with their travel and expenses paid.

Then 2 more places in the PTC finals for the 2 players not already qualified with the highest number of points from 6 tournaments, regardless of which of the tours the events were part of.

One further pipe dream - qualifying events or series to get a main tour place with enough sponsorship attached so that the winners have their expenses for their first couple of years on the Tour paid for. This should be optional, but those who take it up agree to pay back into the pot a percentage of their future winnings to enable future players to have the same chance.

Finally, invitation events with no points but hopefully good money! Reserved calendar spots (i.e. no other tournaments) for a Masters events for the top 16 players, and a World Cup with teams of 3 from each nation. And 3 or 4 weeks reserved on the calendar for multiple invitational events to take place at different locations.

Postby mediter

I would say it´s a basic requirement that we have many tournaments. BUT it´s vital that players would internalize what they are in for. If season is too mixed up and confused i.e; Invitational Masters there, 7 PTC here, 4 EPTC there, Ranking Tournament in Timbuktu there but not in Dublin, playing with a darts rules here and so on... Then people will have difficulties to internalize what and why they are in for. Same as in life in general, you have to easily comprehend and internalize why there´s religions, why there´s that and this. So knawladge rules... rofl

That´s why this is a great thread ! So obviously I have to think about my proposal for ideal tour calender.... Thanks for everyone who has already done that !

Postby Wildey

mediter wrote:I would say it´s a basic requirement that we have many tournaments. BUT it´s vital that players would internalize what they are in for. If season is too mixed up and confused i.e; Invitational Masters there, 7 PTC here, 4 EPTC there, Ranking Tournament in Timbuktu there but not in Dublin, playing with a darts rules here and so on... Then people will have difficulties to internalize what and why they are in for. Same as in life in general, you have to easily comprehend and internalize why there´s religions, why there´s that and this. So knawladge rules... rofl

That´s why this is a great thread ! So obviously I have to think about my proposal for ideal tour calender.... Thanks for everyone who has already done that !

ok <ok>

Postby SnookerAnalyst

I would consider splitting the tour in two - I can't see any other way of resolving some of the issues with the current system.

World Tour (i.e. Top 32 players)
A number of tournaments would only be open to Top 32. For example:
Masters (convert into a ranking event for 16 or 32 players)
UK Championship
German Masters
+ tournaments in China (x2), Australia, India, Brazil, and probably 1 or 2 others in UK / Europe.

Some tournaments would still be open to all players:
World Championship
World Open
European Open
Possibly 1 or 2 others

I would amalgamate the Premier & Championship Leagues into a single league-based competition for the Top 32 and make ranking points available for it.

European Tour (remaining 64 / 96 players) - could also create an Asian Tour in future
A series of tournaments played in UK & Europe.
Not sure of the best format(s), but could involve
a) all matches played at host venue (i.e. replacing PTC events)
b) qualifying matches played separately and latter stages played at host venue - perhaps alongside League or World Tour events. (e.g. PL matches played on Friday, QF, SF & Final of European Tour event played on Sat & Sun
Big vague on details as not sure of the best way of marketing these.

There would be promotion / relegation between the tours each year. Possibly automatic, but end-of-season play-offs may also be attractive.

Both tours would have flat(ter) structures than the current Tour, allowing players to progress more swiftly based on performance. The priority for top players would be to market the game in high profile events around the world. The priority for the rest would be to gain experience closer to home. In essence there's not actually a dramatic difference between this and the current system - it's just that it formalises (and manages) the divide that already exists between the elite and the rest.

Postby mediter

Summer break, june and july.

Then... 10 ranking events with even ranking points, excluding UK and Worlds obviously. What those would be ? Perhaps something like this, Wales, Dublin, Germany, UK, Worlds, Scotland, Beijing, Shanghai, Thailand and yes, Canada ! Canada would be a huge success.

10 PTC, but like wild said, what´s the point playing in Sheffield Academy. Not very inspiring playing always there. Sheffield is the WC town in spring ! So 10 PTC across the UK, maybe one in Belgium.

World Cup. Cracking event, players love it.

Premier League running through the winter. But no messing the format like they did this year !

Masters in London obviously. But excluding Masters, I am no fan of invitational tournaments at all... Players love doing exhibitions themselves, why to have all these invitationals in Brazil or in Timbuktu..

More Power Snooker, that is a cracking format. 3 Power Snooker weekends. Obviously no ranking points, but good prize money.

No shoot-out...

Postby Witz78

Ive had a change of heart after being won over by Monique. My new proposed calendar is as follows.
SEPTEMBER
1-7 Shanghai Masters sponsored by Mothercare.
But played in the UK so players dont have to travel too far.
3 month gap after this to allow players to recover and teach their kids how to ride the bike without stabilisers.
DECEMBER
10-18 UK Championship sponsored by Toys R Us.
Then a 2 month gap to allow players to teach their youngest kid how to walk.
FEBRUARY
15-21 Power Snooker sponsored by Early Learning Centre.
New format where players have 30 minutes to change as many nappies as they can.
APRIL / MAY
17-2 World Championship sponsored by Pampers. Anyone making a 147 gets bonus prize of condoms with holes in them so they can have even more kids.
JUNE
3-8 P School
A replacement for Q school, this event sees amateurs turn up and compete to see whos got the best potty trained kid.

Postby Casey

Rankers -

World Open - Held in the UK....ITV4 please pick this up

Shanghai - standard best of 9 through to 19 frame final.

Oz Open - Standard best of 9 through to 19 frame final.

Irish Masters - back the to old format.

India ranking event -

Wuxi ranking event

Welsh Open

German Open

Poland Open

Majors -

UK - back to best of 17

China Open - 3 session sf and final

Masters

Worlds

PTC's - reduced to 5

1 in the WSA
1 in Germany
1 in Scotland
1 in Belguim
1 TBD

Championship league - scraped
PL - played at the weekends, players play 2 or 3 games over two days to reduce schedule.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Ive had a change of heart after being won over by Monique. My new proposed calendar is as follows.
SEPTEMBER
3 month gap after this to allow players to recover and teach their kids how to ride the bike without stabilisers.
DECEMBER
FEBRUARY
APRIL / MAY
17-2 World Championship sponsored by Pampers. Anyone making a 147 gets bonus prize of condoms with holes in them so they can have even more kids.
JUNE
3-8 P School
A replacement for Q school, this event sees amateurs turn up and compete to see whos got the best potty trained kid.

rofl rofl rofl

Postby Monique

Witz78 wrote:Ive had a change of heart after being won over by Monique. My new proposed calendar is as follows.
SEPTEMBER
DECEMBER
FEBRUARY
APRIL / MAY
JUNE
3-8 P School

I think we could have a bit more than that you know...

The Mothercare Shanghai Masters could very well be held in Shanghai, provided that the venue is equipped with a nursery, a playground and specialized personnel to take care of young kids, also some creative workshops for the slightly older kids. Let's make this a family event where wives would be welcome to promote Uk fashion to the Chinese feminine population. Denise Higgins would be a hit!

at mid-term (early November?) we could have the Chicco Dummies Trophy, all players requested to sport a dummy instead of their usual logos. They would be allowed to throw it around in an attempt to create better interaction with the crowd. Of course they would enter the arena rolled in prams ...

The Toy R Us is Ok as a format. Prior to the tournament however I suggest to run a competition where the Players kids would create some Lego or Playmobil "installations" in order to decorate the venue. Best art work would guarantee their daddy a giant teddy bear trophy.

Too long a gap between the Early Learning Center Power Snooker and the Pampers World Championship. We need an event in the middle. Why not a team event where players compete against each other while teaming with their kids? In order to avoid accidents, kids under 7 would not be accepted. Players failing to produce a suitable kid will be allowed to come with their wife/girlfriend but will be docked 1 frame at the start of each match.

Betting in play about who gets their partner pregnant first (from the current date) will be the only type of betting players will be allwed. They can't of course bet on their own performances.

Postby Bourne

Ranking points for winner
Cat A: World Championships - 6,000

Cat B: UK Championships - 4,000
Cat B: China Open - 4,000

Cat C: Shanghai Masters - 2,000
Cat C: Welsh Open - 2,000
Cat C: Hainan Classic - 2,000
Cat C: Australian Open - 2,000
Cat C: German Masters - 2,000
Cat C: PTC Finals - 2,000
Cat C: Scottish Open - 2,000
Cat C: Northern Ireland Open - 2,000
Cat C: Antwerp Open - 2,000

Cat D: PTC 1-12 - 1,000
Cat D: Shootout - 1,000

Cat E: Masters
Cat E: Power Snooker
Cat E: Premier League

Format for tournament
Cat A: World Championships
R1: BO19, R2: BO23, QF: BO25, SF: BO33, F: BO35

Cat B: UK Championships
R1: BO11, R2: BO11, QF: BO19, SF: BO19, F: BO25
Cat B: China Open
R1: BO11, R2: BO11, QF: BO19, SF: BO19, F: BO25

Cat C: Shanghai Masters
R1: BO9, R2: BO9, QF: BO9, SF: BO13, F: BO19
Cat C: Welsh Open
R1: BO3sets, R2: BO3sets, QF: BO5sets, SF: BO5sets, F: BO9sets
Cat C: Hainan Classic
R1: BO3, R2: BO3, R3: BO3 QF: BO3, SF: BO3, F: BO3 (Random draw)
Cat C: Australian Open
Cat C: German Masters
Cat C: PTC Finals
R1: BO7, QF: BO7, SF: BO11, F: BO13
Cat C: Scottish Open
Cat C: Northern Ireland Open
Cat C: Antwerp Open

Cat D: PTC 1-12
R1 - F: BO7
Cat D: Shootout - 1,000
R1 - F: BO1 :chuckle:

Cat E: Masters
Top 8 enter group stage, top 2 from each make semis
Cat E: Power Snooker
16 invites, played over 2 days
Cat E: Premier League
Top 8 after previous season automatically entered, QFs on Saturday with BO7 and rubbish clock nonsense, SF+F BO11

Other
Cat A/B: Worlds, UK and China become the three majors. All top 128 have to enter each as mandatory.
Cat C: Top 128 must enter at least 7 of the 9 events, of their choosing. Players can enter 8 or 9 but money/points halved.
Cat D: Of 12 PTCs, top 128 can enter minimum of 6. Players outside top 129 can enter as many as they like. Top 128 players' best 6 results count towards PTC finals and their ranking. Shootout - Top 128 automatically entered.
Cat E: Masters - 4 groups of 8, of whom are the reigning World/UK/China champs and the next 5 (or 6 or 7) highest ranked.

SEASON (START AUGUST)

JANUARY
WEEK 1 - MID-WINTER BREAK
WEEK 2 - MASTERS
WEEK 3 - PTC 9 (IN MAINLAND EUROPE)
WEEK 4 - PTC 10 (IN MAINLAND EUROPE)
FEBRUARY
WEEK 1 - GERMAN MASTERS
WEEK 2 - WELSH OPEN
WEEK 3 - PTC11 (IN UK
WEEK 4 - PTC 12 (IN UK)
MARCH
WEEK 1 - CHINA OPEN
WEEK 2 - HAINAN CLASSIC
WEEK 3 - WEEK OFF
WEEK 4 - PTC FINALS
APRIL
WEEK 1 - SHOOTOUT
WEEK 2 - WEEK OFF
WEEK 3 - WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
WEEK 4 - WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
MAY
WEEK 1 - SUMMER BREAK/EXHOS
WEEK 2 - SUMMER BREAK/EXHOS
WEEK 3 - SUMMER BREAK/EXHOS
WEEK 4 - SUMMER BREAK/EXHOS
JUNE
JULY
AUGUST
WEEK 1 - AUSTRALIAN OPEN
WEEK 2 - WORLD CUP
WEEK 3 - SHANGHAI MASTERS
WEEK 4 - WEEK OFF
SEPTEMBER
WEEK 1 - PTC 1 (IN UK)
WEEK 2 - PTC 2 (IN UK)
WEEK 3 - SCOTTISH OPEN
WEEK 4 - PTC3 (IN UK)
OCTOBER
WEEK 1 - NORTHERN IRELAND OPEN
WEEK 2 - PTC 4 (IN IRELAND)
WEEK 3 - POWER SNOOKER
WEEK 4 - PTC 5 (IN MAINLAND EUROPE)
NOVEMBER
WEEK 1 - ANTWERP OPEN
WEEK 2 - PTC 6 (IN MAINLAND EUROPE)
WEEK 3 - PTC 7 (IN UK)
WEEK 4 - PREMIER LEAGUE FINALS
DECEMBER
WEEK 1 - PTC 8 (IN UK)
WEEK 2 - UK CHAMPIONSHIPS
WEEK 3 - MID-WINTER BREAK
WEEK 4 - MID-WINTER BREAK
Last edited by Bourne on 13 Dec 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:bloody hell, more breaks than school teachers

did Monique hold a gun to your head when you came up with this?

I think it's the fairest of all suggestions so far :hatoff:

Postby vodkadiet

World Championship qualifiers Oct/Nov

World Championships first round Jan

World Championships second round Feb

World Championships quarters March

World Championships semis/final April

Summer Break May-Sep

Postby The Cueist

vodkadiet wrote:World Championship qualifiers Oct/Nov

Summer Break May-Sep

:chin: Are you Rodney Walker :john: :gag: ?

Postby GJ

The Cueist wrote:

Summer Break May-Sep

No Tr0tter :hatoff:

Postby The Cueist

GJ wrote:
The Cueist wrote:

Summer Break May-Sep

No Tr0tter :hatoff:

rofl rofl :gag: