Post a reply

Snooker's Greatest Matches?

Postby PLtheRef

I'm in the process of compiling a book on Snooker's Greatest matches.

Which matches do you think should be included? And Why?

Re: Snooker's Greatest Matches?

Postby Muppet147

Steve Davis v Alex Higgins, UK Championship 1983. The actual quality of the snooker wasn't the highest. But it was the first time anyone had staged a comeback against Davis.

Davis was 7-0 in fr0nt after the first session and playing like a snooker robot. Higgins outplayed him in the second session and got it back to 7-8. Then, in the third session they swapped frames and it finished something like 11-11.

In the final session, Higgins went in front 14-12, Davis led 15-14 and Higgins finally prevailed 16-15.

Clive Everton would later say it created mental scars in Davis which led to him nearly squandering a 12-4 lead to Jimmy White in the 84 world final and then an 8-0 lead to Dennis Taylor the following year.

Postby Witz78

Masters final '98

10-9 Williams, an epic game and such a dramatic final frame and black ball finish.

although Hendry would add a 7th world title a year later, this was the first true sign that his powers were waning and a new generation has arrived.

Postby PLtheRef

Thanks gents, they will be included - Made a list of what I see as the best games and its amazing to see how many I have from the 'new era' from 1998 onwards.

I think you're right there Witz in terms of 1998. - It was an example of Hendry just going past his peak, - his 9-0 loss to Campbell in the UKs showed that and though he would beat Williams comfortably at the Crucible in 1999, it would his better days had been played out.

Postby Witz78

things like the greatest player, greatest match etc are always sadly (IMO) weighted towards modern things in recent memory with only majorly significant and historic games from the past staying in most peoples memory.

One game that always sticks in my mind from the early 90s is a McManus - Parrott R2 clash at the Crucible which ended 13-12

Postby PLtheRef

Well I'm wanting to try and cover the last 30 years or so since Snooker really made it big. I'm looking at having a top 25 countdown but have got already got 32 on the list which could be considered for inclusion already. Not all from the Crucible but they've come from the UKs and Masters as well.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:things like the greatest player, greatest match etc are always sadly (IMO) weighted towards modern things in recent memory with only majorly significant and historic games from the past staying in most peoples memory.

One game that always sticks in my mind from the early 90s is a McManus - Parrott R2 clash at the Crucible which ended 13-12

that was in 1992 when John was defending champion and it was a quarter final <ok>

Postby Andre147

This is a topic I particularly like, I could name lots of matches that I see as "one of the greatest", but I´ll just stick to the ones I consider most important, but, even so, it´s very very difficult to pick them out :shrug:

Paul Hunter vs Ken Doherty Worlds semi 2003 : that was one hell of a comeback from doherty there, and the quality was very good in that match RIP Paul, we´ll always love you.

Ronnie O´Sullivan vs Stephen Hendry 1997 Liverpool Charity Challenge final: from 8-2 down, an seemingly having lost the match, Ronnie pulled a great comeback to level at 8 each, only for Hendry, who hardly had potted a ball for at least an hour, pull out a 147 in the deciding frame, truly amazing.

Ronnie O´Sullivan vs John Higgins 2006 Masters final: a match that had everything, great quality from both players, tension, drama, some good breaks, and, in the end, that wonderful clearance from John we all know, in the decider

Steve Davis vs Dennis Taylor 1985 Worlds final: I think all has been said about this final, truly one, if not, the most amazing match in snooker history

Stephen Hendry vs Mike Hallet 1991 Masters final: Again, one of the ost amazing comebacks in snooker history, this time from Stephen, having been trailing Hallet 8-2 at one point.

Alex Higgins vs Jimmy White 1982 Worlds semi: One of the most amazing matches in snooker history, this one had truly amazing pots, two great characters who weren´t afaraid to go for their shots and played at a very fast pace, which also had one of the most amazing breaks ever done in the game, that 69 clearance from Alex trailing 15 frames to 14

Stephen Hendry vs Jimmy White 1994 World final: Also ending in the decider, Hendry won that amazing match, maybe not for Jimmy though, who would make his last appearance at a final, his 6 th overall, coincidently in his birthday. Still, it was one hell of a match, good quality from both players, nerves and tension as usual in situations like this.

Well, I could go on fovever, and I know I´ve missed here some other great matches that I could name, but these are just a few that I consider the "greatest matches" this sport has to offer.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Some considerations (starting in 2006):

2007 World quarters: Murphy - Stevens

2007 World semi: Selby - Murphy

2007 Northern Ireland Trophy Last 16: Carter - O'Sullivan

2007 UK semi: O'Sullivan - Selby

2008 China Open final: Maguire - Murphy

2008 World Last 16: Wenbo - Swail

2009 Masters final: Selby - O'Sullivan

2009 World quarters: Higgins - Selby

2009 Grand Prix semi: Higgins - Robertson

2009 UK semi: O'Sullivan - Higgins

2010 Masters semi: Williams - O'Sullivan

2010 Masters final: Selby - O'Sullivan

2010 World Last 16: Davis - Higgins

2010 UK final: Higgins - Williams

2011 World final: Trump - Higgins

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Some considerations (starting in 2006):

:chin:

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Witz78 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Some considerations (starting in 2006):

:chin:

Sorry I meant the 2006/07 season not the year 2006 - I have only watched snooker since the 2006 Northern Ireland Trophy and I didn't want to mention matches I didn't watch right at the time.

Postby PLtheRef

This isnt easy, the original idea to have top 25 has moved to 30

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:This isnt easy, the original idea to have top 25 has moved to 30

mate you opened a can of worms asking on a forum all thoes Snooker Overdrive listed has great merits to be on the list and thats only in the last 5 years.

Postby Muppet147

1984 - Benson & Hedges Masters Semi-final, Jimmy White v Kirk Stevens.

Fabulous match featuring two flamboyant stars. Jimmy made two centuries and Kirk knocked in a 147. White finished off the match 6-4 with those famous banana shots.

The two of them contested the World semi-final a few months later, which was also an excellent match, White winning 16-14.

Postby SnookerFan

Another classic match, that had everybody on break-off gripped.... And it would prove to be the last time. Break-off became Break-down because of that match.

Postby PLtheRef

I've got a top 30 list now - with another 30 which would could have easily made it on the list.

Postby Wildey

2005 World Quarter Ronnie O'Sullivan v Peter Ebdon

it was a match that perfectly demistrated the beauty of snooker

Postby Tubberlad

SnookerFan wrote:Dammit Hunter vs Doherty and Higgins vs Ronnie Masters final have gone. Those would be my two choices.

Oh for buck sake, both of them HAVE to be included

O'Sullivan 17-4 Hendry
O'Sullivan 17-6 Hendry

And Wild's shout of Ebdon v O'Sullivan isn't the worst I've heard... that was special.

Postby Wildey

regarding that Ronnie v Ebdon match its actually being forgotten just how well Ronnie was playing to open up a massive lead so for ebdon to get in to his mind the way he did was special.

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:regarding that Ronnie v Ebdon match its actually being forgotten just how well Ronnie was playing to open up a massive lead so for ebdon to get in to his mind the way he did was special.

O'Sullivan was the best player in the World by miles that year, and it didn't cross my mind that anybody else was going to win the World Championship... I was hugely impressed by Ebdon that night, it was terrific in my very honest opinion.

Postby sahgalvishesh

I dont know if this is a late post or anything and nor do I have an idea if this match has been posted before but I feel you should include the Ronnie O sullivan vs Mark Selby UK championship 2007 where ronnie hits a maximum break in the decider frame. The match also had a lot of great catch ups and overall a very interesting match.