Topic locked

What is your Opinion on the 2011 Premier League 'League stage' format?

I think the 2011 format has been a success and should be replicated
20%
I think the 2011 format has NOT been a success and the seven man format used from 2005-10 should be reintroduced.
40%
I think an alternative format should be used
40%

Total votes : 10

The 2011 Premier League, yay or nay?

Postby PLtheRef

Tonights final will bring down the curtain on the league stage of this years Premier League. The new format whcih had been developed for this years contest had split general opinion when announced in the summer. Having seen it in action, and followed the competition much more than I have done so during the previous years of the Premier League. I will gladly admit that I have enjoyed it more than in recent editions of the competition.

Positives
This season has seen an increase from seven players to ten. I liked this as I felt it has made players work to take their places in the semi-final playoffs at the end of the tournament in comparison to having four from seven to qualify, giving players the reminder that they have a better chance of qualifying than being eliminated. The Darts PL recognized this and increased their entry to eight players. Personally I think ten players is a good number to have in the competition.

The Best of 5 frame format. - I'm not advocating that Best of 5 frames is a good format to use but I think playing the match as 'best of' rather than 'over six frames' has made games more competitive, it always feels anticlimatic to have a thrilling match played out only for the game to play 3-3. Having the best of format has meant that every single frame has now counted for something.

Negatives
As people have noted, this competition has featured a series of mini-tournaments. Though as I said I've enjoyed this competition, I do think that having a series of competitions has not worked. The issue here is that we have had potentially players in the league playing eight games and others like White playing four games. The 'League style' has been diluted to a great extent in this respect.

The changing of the 'rules' mid match. I've said before that I think that the 'Shoot-out' tournament as a concept is a very good idea in itself, and that the 'shoot-out' competition is good (though I think can be improved) it shouldn't be brought into a match which has reached 2-2.

The 'Champions Cup' nature of qualification. I do think that having a tournament which includes all of the previous seasons main tournaments winners is a very good idea and as was held on ITV from 1999-2001, there is a scope for this competition. - But this shouldnt be in the Premier League where we have naturally had Jimmy White ranked 55th at the start of the season in the tournament at the expense of several of the top 16. Although Jimmy's ranking has risen by a few places he has finished bottom of the table which most will have expected to happen lets be honest. It's also devalued the idea that the Championship League is a tournament with a premier league place at stake.Given Darren Morgan's not on tour I'd be surprised if he got to be in the Premier League 2012.

What should be done then?
I do think that ten players is a good idea for a premier league but I do think the players who should be invited could be and should be very different.

Top Four players in the World Seeding list at the end of the season.
Top 2 players in the PTC Order of Merit not already qualified
World Champion (3rd in the Order of Merit)
Defending Premier League champion (4th in the OOM)
Championship League winner
1 Wild Card

With the slots allocated to the Premier League by SKY at present I would split the ten players into Two Groups of Five, with action alternating with Group A being held one week followed by Group B another. The top two in each group qualifying for the Play-offs.

25 Second Shot Clock as before (Before the bullets head my way, recently it's what has given the tournament its identity) Only with the Same Time-out rules as before.

Matches in the League stage best of 7 frames. As I've said before I dont think draws are a good idea, perhaps best of 6 if draws need to be an option but at least end the match once its clear who has won. This does allieviate the potential for match fixing which playing out six frames can create. Again, 2 pts for a win and 1 point for a draw if its needed.

Play-off format is fine in terms of frames, Winner of each group playing the runner up in the other.

Thoughts?

Re: The 2011 Premier League, yay or nay?

Postby Witz78

PL has had its day now in this ever expanding calendar

basically the 10 weeks or so this takes up deprives the fans and more importantly the non PL players around 3-4 full rankers which would be more beneficial to all.

I hope Ronnies comments are the straw that breaks the camels back and the PL is repackaged as a 1 week tourny or ditched to make way for some new rankers, which Sky themselves might even want to cover.

Postby Tubberlad

It should be repackaged as a one-week tournament, turn it into a glorified invitational by all means, reduce it to five players, with two players making it to a Saturday night final. Matches should be best-of-7 frames, with 3-3 considered a draw. Extend the shot-clock to 25 seconds, and drop any silly gimmicks.

Postby SnookerFan

Tubberlad wrote:It should be repackaged as a one-week tournament, turn it into a glorified invitational by all means, reduce it to five players, with two players making it to a Saturday night final. Matches should be best-of-7 frames, with 3-3 considered a draw. Extend the shot-clock to 25 seconds, and drop any silly gimmicks.

It had become a glorified invitational event anyway, even before this year.

But in saying that, I can't see any reason why you'd consider this change of format a success. Despite not being the biggest shot clock fan, I still enjoyed dipping into the Premier League and visiting the odd event if it came anywhere near me. But this year I haven't even been that bothered.

Shot clock is one thing in an exhibition event, but it's now become too gimmicky. And can't really be considered a league any more. If they are going to call it the Premier League it should be done properly, with everybody playing everybody once and gaining points.

It just feels like a gimmicky mess now.

Postby king.kauto

Ive never really watched the PL before, but this new format of mini tournaments got me intetested in it. As well as getting rid of the best of 6 rubbish.
I didnt like the way that each player didnt play all other players in the league though.

Postby GJ

Witz78 wrote:just cos Jonos face doesnt fit in the PL semi final line up

I think he may just prefer having a world title over this PL rubbish :chuckle: rofl

its a close one though rofl rofl <ok>

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:

I think he may just prefer having a world title over this PL rubbish :chuckle: rofl

living in the past mate, that gonna be your comeback every time Robbo loses

he might as well have retired 18 months ago in that case :D

Postby Bourne

GJ wrote:

I think he may just prefer having a world title over this PL donkey doo :chuckle: rofl

Yeh you don't get likes of Gould, Davis or O'Brien in the Premier :D

Postby Tubberlad

Let's be fair though... under this guise, the Premier League is easily the worst World Snooker sanctioned event there is...

I think the Premier League's race has been run, and if O'Sullivan follows through on his threat (which might not be the least likely scenario in the world), then it may become unsustainable.

Postby GJ

Tubberlad wrote:Let's be fair though... under this guise, the Premier League is easily the worst World Snooker sanctioned event there is...

I think the Premier League's race has been run, and if O'Sullivan follows through on his threat (which might not be the least likely scenario in the world), then it may become unsustainable.

:hatoff: