Topic locked

Power Snooker Discussion Topic

Postby Roland

This weekend sees the Power Snooker Masters from the Trafford Centre in Manchester and features all of the current top 16.

This is the official website (warning: sunglasses required to avoid blindness)
http://powersnooker.com/

These are the rules:
http://www.powersnooker.com/rules.php

This is my write up after the first Power Snooker event (it's very long and goes off track towards the end but it's fairly balanced in my view):
http://www.snookerisland.com/blog/power ... e-snooker/

It's bound to cause a bit of controvesy and be slagged off amongst many of you snooker fans, but if you take it for what it is and give it a go you may end up liking it. It's on ITV4 all weekend so bring it on, I'll be watching as much as I can because for me it's the perfect appetiser for the upcoming UK Championships when the proper version of the game returns to our screens.

Re: Power Snooker Discussion Topic

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Fair play for getting first comment in though to show your support <ok>

good point <laugh>

Postby mediter

Actually Power Snooker feels like a great great fun having playing a few frame myself in here http://www.flyordie.com/

Only trouble I would guess pro players may have with it, is that isn´t there a major advantage to player who gets break-off shot ? Whacking reds spred, and most likely to be able to start breakbuild ? And other player is in trouble then. Don´t know, just guessing that might be a problem. But other than that so brilliant fun !! Should be played much more during the season, if they can sort out that / or I am wrong there and it´s not that much problem.

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:Can see Dott on the end of some jeers and heckles.

Hear you mean :limp: Or are you built differently up in Scotchland :fart:

Postby randam05

Eh I think it will be better this year. Look, its not snooker and will never be as good, but I love watching any cue sport, and at the end of the day, it is a cue sport, so i will be watching :-)

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Eh I think it will be better this year. Look, its not snooker and will never be as good, but I love watching any cue sport, and at the end of the day, it is a cue sport, so i will be watching :-)

yes thats the way to look at it but its a bit baffling when people say it will atract new fans to the real game

HOW ?

they are totally different games.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
randam05 wrote:Eh I think it will be better this year. Look, its not snooker and will never be as good, but I love watching any cue sport, and at the end of the day, it is a cue sport, so i will be watching :-)

yes thats the way to look at it but its a bit baffling when people say it will atract new fans to the real game

HOW ?

Same players though and a lot (arguably most ?) new fans are drawn in by personalities.

Postby Roland

As I said Wild, it will grab the attention of the console generation. Obviously not being one of them you probably won't understand what I mean. Best to just sit back and let it happen and enjoy the event.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:As I said Wild, it will grab the attention of the console generation. Obviously not being one of them you probably won't understand what I mean. Best to just sit back and let it happen and enjoy the event.

Wild was part of the console generation though......

Postby randam05

Wild wrote:

HOW ?

Totally different yes, but like Sonny said, the same players. So kids may start to think snooker isnt just fat, old, ugly, smoking, boring people. (By the way this is what 80% of people my age think) So then they will pick up on personalities in the game that they like and begin to watch them in real snooker. And at the end of the day, powersnooker is a lot more attractive to the majority of young people, there is no denying that unfortunately.

Postby Witz78

Carter came across quite well at last years event, im not a fan but after that last year i warmed to him a bit more

Selby came across well too and even Ding responded well to the Ding Junhui My Lord crowd singing

I reckon Bingham could get wound up quite bad this wknd, the crowd will be on the side of those playing to the crowd, the likes of Judd, Selby, Allen, Ronnie, Williams, Maguire should have full backing whereas likes of Higgins, Dott, Murphy etc i expect to get some stick in the hope they get wound up.

Postby Bourne

Witz78 wrote:Carter came across quite well at last years event, im not a fan but after that last year i warmed to him a bit more

Selby came across well too and even Ding responded well to the Ding Junhui My Lord crowd singing

I reckon Bingham could get wound up quite bad this wknd, the crowd will be on the side of those playing to the crowd, the likes of Judd, Selby, Allen, Ronnie, Williams, Maguire should have full backing whereas likes of Higgins, Dott, Murphy etc i expect to get some stick in the hope they get wound up.

Could Stu and Allen meet before the final ?

Postby Witz78

not sure how the draw works if its been pre-determined

the crowd for that game would be awesome, obviously theyd be 100% behind Allen im sure and it could turn mess on and off the table

Postby Bourne

Aye it's about time we had more of these bitter rivalries, glad I saw on World Snooker that they have no intention of kissing and making up just yet.

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:As I said Wild, it will grab the attention of the console generation. Obviously not being one of them you probably won't understand what I mean. Best to just sit back and let it happen and enjoy the event.

:hatoff:

Postby Roland

World Snooker appear to be loving the Allen and Bingham thing.

The draw is, and I assume it's straight knockout with the winner of 1 playing the winner of 2 etc etc:

Saturday
1:10pm Selby v Stevens
2pm Higgins v Allen
3pm Trump v Gould
4pm Murphy v Bingham

6:10pm Williams v Lee
7pm Robbo v Maguire
8pm Carter v O'Sullivan
9pm Ding v Dotty

Bingham v Allen would have to be the semi. Also it's a shame one of Gouldy and Judd will exit round 1.

Postby Tubberlad

I could see Stevens getting snake hissed drunk... and I'd love to see Selby & Sullivan or more likely Allen & Bingham getting into a fight. Then I might watch next year :chuckle:

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:World Snooker appear to be loving the Allen and Bingham thing.

The draw is, and I assume it's straight knockout with the winner of 1 playing the winner of 2 etc etc:

Saturday
1:10pm Selby v Stevens
2pm Higgins v Allen
3pm Trump v Gould
4pm Murphy v Bingham

6:10pm Williams v Lee
7pm Robbo v Maguire
8pm Carter v O'Sullivan
9pm Ding v Dotty

Bingham v Allen would have to be the semi. Also it's a shame one of Gouldy and Judd will exit round 1.

Specially as both are in good form from Belgium but both would be great to watch in this format regardless. <ok>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
Wild wrote:

HOW ?

Totally different yes, but like Sonny said, the same players. So kids may start to think snooker isnt just fat, old, ugly, smoking, boring people. (By the way this is what 80% of people my age think) So then they will pick up on personalities in the game that they like and begin to watch them in real snooker. And at the end of the day, powersnooker is a lot more attractive to the majority of young people, there is no denying that unfortunately.

Snooker has never Been fat, old, ugly, smoking, boring people. well apart from the smoking bit.

where the hell are these people your age getting their Facts From ????

Postby Witz78

the crowd should be suitably well oiled by the time Ronnie appears haha

I predict the crowd will support the following players

Selby
Allen
Trump (can see Gould being like a rabbit caught in the headlights, hes a shy guy for all his talk)
Murphy
Williams (just know Lee is gonna get some who ate all the pies chants)
Maguire cos he ll play up to them more than Jono
Ronnie
Ding Junhui My Lord

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

yup far Better stuff than this Trash.