Post a reply

Aftermath of Ronnie v Judd PTC Final

Postby Roland

Now the dust has settled it’s good to have a time-out to reflect on the PTC9 final between Judd Trump and Ronnie O’Sullivan.

I think it’s fair to say everyone who saw the final will remember it fondly. It was one of the most exciting matches for a long time, a best of 7 frame match which went the distance and lasted barely over an hour. Both players went for their shots and it had the audience at the venue and at home completely captivated for the duration.

It was a great advert for snooker and it was also very reminiscent of the clashes between the experienced genius of Alex Higgins and the exciting young potting talent of Jimmy White during the 1980s.

The contrast in styles between these two and the rest of the professional field at the time meant they often lost to players incapable of their individual brilliance, but who knew how to stifle them and beat them. This meant they didn’t face off against each other as often as people would have liked, and it’s interesting to note that nearly 30 years later that aspect of the game hasn’t changed one bit.

When their paths did eventually cross however, it was fireworks, it was exciting, it made you want to go to the nearest snooker club and play the game yourself. People will naturally want more after Sundays final, but this type of match cannot be recreated in an exhibition environment or in the Premier League with shot clocks or suchlike, only when it really matters.

That’s why you have to savour such matches when they do happen. That’s why it’s great to follow this sport, for moments like the PTC final between Judd and Ronnie. That’s why people love them and why their next clash (possibly in the 2nd round of the UK) will attract so much attention. And I for one can’t wait.

Re: Aftermath of Ronnie v Judd PTC Final

Postby mishcka

I was just watching the match (again :ahh: ) on eurosport-player. It was one excellent display of snooker; both players brought out the best in each other; and it was fireworks.

I am not so sure tho, that if ROS and Trump meet in the UK it will be the same. The PTC: 1) had awesome audience, who were behind both players; and 2) it was just a PTC final (no disrespect). so they both were going for ridiculous shots, that they may otherwise not go for (or maybe they would, knowing their styles).

I cannot wait for the UK, but it will be really dissappointing if and when they play each other they will not perform to the same standard they showed us they are cabable of. There must be much pressure on them both now to play awesome everytime they meet... I just hope they will be up for it.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:I can't wait for their match at the UK - the loser will be sorely disappointed.

only one out of Higgins,Ronnie or Trump can reach the UK Semis theres going to be a lot disapointed when you also throw in Mags and Hendry in to the mix.

regarding this match up cant wait if it happens at the UK Just a pity its not 2 session BO17.
Last edited by Wildey on 16 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tubberlad

If these two were playing over a 17 frame match, their showdown could have been a masterpiece. It's still going to be one to savour, presuming both players make it past the opening round.

They are both snooker geniuses.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wild wrote:
Casey wrote:I can't wait for their match at the UK - the loser will be sorely disappointed.

only one out of Higgins,Ronnie or Trump can reach the UK Quarters theres going to be a lot disapointed when you also throw in Mags and Hendry in to the mix.

regarding this match up cant wait if it happens at the UK Just a pity its not 2 session BO17.

You surely meant UK semis.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Wild wrote:

only one out of Higgins,Ronnie or Trump can reach the UK Quarters theres going to be a lot disapointed when you also throw in Mags and Hendry in to the mix.

You surely meant UK semis.

yeah <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

It was one of those classic matches that would've been a classic if it was a best of seven, or best of 35. I'd certainly have been happy for it to have been a couple of frames longer.

We should create a short match hall of fame. This match belongs, and I also suggest the Williams vs Lee bo9 in China last season. :D

Postby John From London Town

I loved it, I really did. When Ronnie O'Sullivan went 3-1 down & had to sit there & watch that barrage against him after he missed that black off the spot in the 2nd frame, when he got in - in the 5th frame, he was bang under it, make no mistake, yet what did he do, back to back ton's. Great stuff. Respect where it's due.