Post a reply

COPE considering future

Postby Smart

JAMIE Cope says he will consider his future on the professional circuit after he failed to reach the UK Championships last night.

The Longton cueman suffered a 6-3 defeat to Letchworth's Joe Jogia in the final qualifying round at the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester.

"It might be a while before you see me playing in an arena again to be honest," said the 26-year-old.

"I just can't keep myself still at the table and it's costing me dearly.

"I'm disappointed, angry, and at the moment I'm only playing at about 50 per cent capacity, and that's just no good."

Cope will now go away and consider his options, while Jogia moves into the televised UK Championships finals at the Barbican Centre in York where he will face two-time World and UK champion Mark Williams in the first round proper in early December.

Cope, the world number 19, did register a century break during last night's defeat when he rattled in a 109 in the fifth frame as he took a 3-2 lead... but it proved to be a false dawn.

Former English Open champion Jogia then reeled off four successive frames to end Cope's hopes of glory.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Sn ... story.html

Re: COPE considering future

Postby Roland

He needs a sports psychologist. Wasted talent otherwise. He definitely shouldn't quit, that's silly talk.

Postby Smart

Very talented but gets way too frustrated and looks ill at ease in the venue (big or small). I wonder if he had someone in his corner telling him how good he is and emphasising a few things then it might make the world of difference. Time is running out. <ok>

Postby mediter

Yeah, I reckon he obviously won´t quit. All he need is some people making him withdrawals like they are doing for wild and me also <laugh>

This reminds me of a joke which years ago some old lady came to tell to my friend while he was in the pub drinking beer. It goes like this:

A girl called Little Red Riding Hood walks through the woods. A big bad wolf approaches Little Red Riding Hood and asks “where are you going little girl ?”.

Little Red Riding Hood answers: “to the river to wash my pussy”.

A big bad wolf says: “Oh buck off, so they have changed this story too !!”

rofl rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Cope has always been overrated. Yes, he has a lot of natural ability, but at the end of the day his cueing has always been tough on the eye and he has zero bottle or will to win. Cope never looks likely to beat one of the top players, and hasn't done so in over four years.

See his abysmal display against Williams at the Crucible this year, shocking.

Postby Roland

It's not fair to say he's not got bottle because the number of deciding frames with big breaks I've seen him win or watched on live scoring is too many to count. He's another Ronnie in terms of mental issues. His head goes as soon as he's a couple behind and he takes no time over his shots.

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:It's not fair to say he's not got bottle because the number of deciding frames with big breaks I've seen him win or watched on live scoring is too many to count. He's another Ronnie in terms of mental issues. His head goes as soon as he's a couple behind and he takes no time over shots.

He's so much worse than O'Sullivan or Alex Higgins when it comes to mental issues. Although Sullivan is considered an underachiever, his accomplishments place him fourth of all-time, while Higgins was also very succesful. I don't even think Cope is going to win a ranking title, which is a shame considering how good he could be. The way things are going, we are talking about the biggest waste of talent snooker has had, in my memory at least.

Postby PLtheRef

TBH does anyone think like me that Jamie's been a tad disrespectful to the sport by highlighting retirement during what is really his first bad spell since he approached the top 16-32

Postby Tubberlad

He needs a long overdue kick up the hole.

Cope has always annoyed me, I don't doubt that he is a very talented player but I've never seen any real battle in the guy, nor have I ever felt any confidence in him when he's taking on a top player. He should be a multiple ranking even winner by now, and yet he hasn't made a final since 2007.

What was needed last year was for Steve Davis to show some balls at the Crucible and tell it like it was: Cope was appalling against Mark Williams, yet God forbid one of these young underachievers be called out... Steve took the opportunity to tell everyone that 'Jamie Cope is a BRILLIANT player'. This after a performance so devoid of anything.

Postby gallantrabbit

I saw Cope in Brazil and of course he lost first round to Igor. He made a very tidy dish to go 2-3 I think. I spoke to him briefly 2 days after as he stuck around. Seems a sound lad.
He's loaded with talent and he's had the bottle to reach a couple of finals so I don't really think that's a major issue. From what I've seen of him recently he seems to be over controlling his game. Maybe he should just go back to what he's best at.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:He needs a long overdue kick up the hole.

Cope has always annoyed me, I don't doubt that he is a very talented player but I've never seen any real battle in the guy, nor have I ever felt any confidence in him when he's taking on a top player. He should be a multiple ranking even winner by now, and yet he hasn't made a final since 2007.

What was needed last year was for Steve Davis to show some balls at the Crucible and tell it like it was: Cope was appalling against Mark Williams, yet God forbid one of these young underachievers be called out... Steve took the opportunity to tell everyone that 'Jamie Cope is a BRILLIANT player'. This after a performance so devoid of anything.

yes theres this soft soaping bullocks going on within snooker and players believe what is said so tell the players how it is let them be humiliated feel like crap then improve or snake hiss off.

theres been far too many players with the atetute its tough out there some you win some you lose and accept loosing far to casual.

losing should hurt badly and not become a accepted habit.

Postby Lucky

Saw him down the co-op the other week, still doing ok for himself, got a beaut of a Beemer M5 midnight blue tinted windows.....nice wheels :spot on:

Postby Smart

PLtheRef wrote:TBH does anyone think like me that Jamie's been a tad disrespectful to the sport by highlighting retirement during what is really his first bad spell since he approached the top 16-32

No, I dont think it was in anyway him intentionally being disrespectful............if it happened that way then it was not his intention. I would say that he is really dissapointed in the way things are going and that he has not progressed to the next level. The talk about his future shows in a way how down he feels about his lack of progression and his current lack of form. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Good player, and though it might be unfair to blame his bottle, it seems fair to say his problems are more mental then anything else. He is too shy a person, in my opinion and sometimes believes he doesn't deserve to be there.

I don't think he'll retire. I think this is like the time Mark King threatened to retire. Or the many times Ronnie has. Just pure frustration.

Postby Witz78

Lucky wrote:Saw him down the co-op the other week, still doing ok for himself, got a beaut of a Beemer M5 midnight blue tinted windows.....nice wheels :spot on:

and his missus is a bit of alrite <ok>

Postby kostasmad

Well when he first came up in the snooker scene I thought he was very promising.

After I saw him for 2-3 years I said this guy is another Stevens. Full of talent but no bottle.

Now I say he is not half as good as Stevens. At Least Stevens won 2/3 big ones and lost many finals by top top players (Ronnie, Williams, Higgins, Robbo, Murphy). all fo them pretty damn close. What has he achieved? Last time he looked great was against Higgins in the WC where he lost in the decider.

One thing is sure, time is running out and he will end up another Anthony Hamilton of the 2010s...

Postby GJ

No loss to snooker if he quits

Postby GJ

witz

rofl