Post a reply

Discussion: what the shot clock's place in snooker?

Postby Tubberlad

The shot clock: quite possibly the most controversial aspect of any snooker format out there.

As we all know, the shot-clock has been used in snooker's Premier League for quite a few seasons. It originally started out as a 25-second clock, encouraged by Sky to keep matches from over-running and playing havoc with their schedules, but it's countdown siren was also intended as a method of interacting with the crowds in attendance.

The clock has since been reduced to 20 seconds, and has been used in both Power Snooker and the Shootout. I hated Power Snooker, but loved the Shootout, as I think was the case with a sizeable number of snooker fans.

Here's where I stand: I don't like the shot clock. I think it hinders most players' ability to pick the right shot to play, and diminishes safety play in particular. Very often it can lead to rushed shots that make the games look a little amateurish at times.

However, I also wouldn't exactly wake up in cold sweats if one ranking event under a shot clock was introduced. It's not an issue that I feel needs addressing or anything, but for the sake of variety I don't think it would be a disaster should it happen. Whether it will happen or not is another question, I think qualifiers have to run with multiple tables, and multiple sirens could be, well, pretty bloody annoying.

I also think that a shot clock ranker would perhaps be better off with lower ranking points than your average ranker. But with around 80,000 points on offer each season and so many events out there, I really don't think that ONE shot clock ranking event would be of any harm. I'm all for variety on tour.

Perhaps some feel that a top-class invitational would be more worthy? Some may feel that this just isn't snooker as it gives some players such as O'Sullivan and Trump a major advantage over, say, Rory McLeod or Peter Ebdon. But then again, we have an open draw tournament that could very well be very cruel to one player but work in another's favour, whereas most draws are designed to be more even.

Anyway, I think this could be an interesting discussion, but keep it civil and stick to the point :hatoff:

Re: Discussion: what the shot clock's place in snooker?

Postby Monique

I pretty much agree with what Tub writes although I'm not convinced that the shot-clock is giving some players a massive advantage, or at least not necessarily to those players with the "fast" tag. I was expecting Rory or Fergal to struggle in the shoot-out last season and they didn't. Quite the opposite. The shot-clock helped them. Most of the time the top players - and the MT players are top players - see the right shot immediately except in very tricky safety situations maybe. Some though are prone to try and analyse every possible outcome and end up bogged at all the opportunities for things to go wrong. The shot-clock doesn't give them time to ponder every possible disaster and they end up playing better than usual. I'd say that in the current top 16, Stevens is another one who would benefit from the shot clock, as he is extremely talented naturally but usually ends up fussing around to no end and ultimately playing the lame one only too often.
Having said that I'm NOT advocating to introduce the shot-clock in rankings but as I said elsewhere I'd strongly wish that the rules would be applied and any unnecessary slow play punished ruthlessly because that does ruin the game, for the players involved, including the culprit more often than not, and for the viewers.

Postby The Cueist

Smart wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The shot clock is raping snooker. Barry Hearn is raping snooker.

sodomisation :gag:

I think Burnett/Maguire ;-) If you get my drift.

As for shotclock,I used to advocate it being tried out,It has been partially tried out and i dont rate it to be honest.

Postby Casey

When the balls get scrappy the shot clock can make the frame a bit of a farce - players running around just looking to hit before the clock runs out.

When the balls are open the clock doesn't make a difference - so why have it all?

There is also no proof what so ever that audiences take to the shot clock - the PL I hear you say? Well the PL was played in front of packed audiences for years before the shot clock. its not difficult to get a crowd in for the best 7 or 10 players in the World.

Would Fergal O'Brien v's Dave Harold draw a bigger crowd under the shot clock? NO! Give me a break.

Postby Tubberlad

Casey wrote:There is also no proof what so ever that audiences take to the shot clock - the PL I hear you say? Well the PL was played in front of packed audiences for years before the shot clock. its not difficult to get a crowd in for the best 7 or 10 players in the World.

Those are very fair points :hatoff: the Premier League is still selling out every week... but the format is horendous. I was never a major Premier League fan, but this year has been appalling.

Postby Roland

Casey wrote:When the balls get scrappy the shot clock can make the frame a bit of a farce - players running around just looking to hit before the clock runs out.

When the balls are open the clock doesn't make a difference - so why have it all?

:bowdown:

nail on the head

Postby Tubberlad

It isn't my favourite format admittedly, particularly in the way it's being used at the moment: the Premier League format is absurdly complicated, and 20 and 15 second shots are bordering on farcical in my opinion. But I didn't altogether hate the 25 second shot clock they used in the Premier League up until last season, it was at least easy to follow and 25 seconds was not a massive ask in the way a 20 and 15 second one are.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
Casey wrote:When the balls get scrappy the shot clock can make the frame a bit of a farce - players running around just looking to hit before the clock runs out.

:bowdown:

nail on the head

never have i seen a better reason to just scrap shot clock NOW.

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:It isn't my favourite format admittedly, particularly in the way it's being used at the moment: the Premier League format is absurdly complicated, and 20 and 15 second shots are bordering on farcical in my opinion. But I didn't altogether hate the 25 second shot clock they used in the Premier League up until last season, it was at least easy to follow and 25 seconds was not a massive ask in the way a 20 and 15 second one are.

The fact they looked to change the format in the first place shows it had got boring or predictable gimmicks have short time span because they always look for the next gimmick to out do the previous gimmick.

snookers apeal is what it is a simple to understand game with coloured balls kids get drawn in to it because of that.

yes you need the Ronnies of this world or the Trumps but lets not contrive a situation let things happen natrually.