Topic locked

United Kingdom Championship Qualifying !!!

Postby Wildey

Saturday 5th~Wednesday 9th of November at The South West Snooker Academy Gloucester

its been 2 Months Since Mark Selby won the Shanghai Masters in Dramatic Fashion against Mark Williams and at Last World Ranking Tournaments is Back with the second biggest event on the Calendar The UK Championship.

This Week some of snookers Royalty will be Trying to Qualify Steve Davis and for the first time since the 1988 World Championship Stephen Hendry, between then and now Stephen has become the most successful player ever but you are only as good as your last win and he joins the pack thats chasing spots at the Venue.

Playing Round 1 includes Belgian Teen sensation Luca Brecel and Former World Championship semi finalist Ian McCulloch.

Playing Round 2 includes a Thaiphoon a Tornado and a Whirlwind you could say lot of wind that Day.

Playing Round 3 includes Jack Lisowski,Liang Wenbo and The Legend that is Steve Davis.

Playing Round 4 includes a who's who of Ranking Event Winners Marco Fu,Dominic Dale,Ricky Walden,Ken Doherty,Peter Ebdon and of Course the Leader of the Pack Stephen Hendry.

Who will be the 16 Players that will qualify ?

DRAW

FORMAT OF PLAY

PREDICTION CONTEST

Image Image

Re: United Kingdom Championship Qualifying !!!

Postby Bourne

How many qualifiers has Hendry won in the last god knows how many years ? This is a different brand of snooker he's playing now, he's not gona be in front of a worldwide audience of tens of millions.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:How many qualifiers has Hendry won in the last god knows how many years ? This is a different brand of snooker he's playing now, he's not gona be in front of a worldwide audience of tens of millions.

i beg to differ http://www.liveworldsnooker.tv/

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Bourne wrote:How many qualifiers has Hendry won in the last god knows how many years ? This is a different brand of snooker he's playing now, he's not gona be in front of a worldwide audience of tens of millions.

Yeh that link has tens of millions of subscribers wild ... <doh> :chuckle:

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Yeh that link has tens of millions of subscribers wild ... <doh> :chuckle:

the only world wide snooker channell

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Hendry's played in Gloucester in PTC7, he'll be right. Who's in his section?

hes got as easy a draw as is possible to get TBH

Kurt Maflin/David Hogan/Jimmy Robertson/Gerard Greene

uselfull players there but nobody that should worry him if hes half descent.

Postby Bourne

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:Hendry's played in Gloucester in PTC7, he'll be right. Who's in his section?

Descent is a good word to describe Hendo these days <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
Wild wrote:

Descent is a good word to describe Hendo these days <ok>

last time at gloucster his form was descent no disrespecting players in question but he should qualify ......maguire at york is a diferent matter though

Postby hendry_fan

Strange situation for the greatest ever snooker player Stephen Hendry,but it of course had to happen some time,it,ll happen to Ronnie,Higgins,Williams,even Selby and Trump,in fact it,ll happen to everyone at some point,as we don,t get any younger.:-)

I,m confident he,ll qualify,but we,ll just have to wait n see.

Postby Wildey

hendry_fan wrote:Strange situation for the greatest ever snooker player Stephen Hendry,but it of course had to happen some time,it,ll happen to Ronnie,Higgins,Williams,even Selby and Trump,in fact it,ll happen to everyone at some point,as we don,t get any younger.:-)

I,m confident he,ll qualify,but we,ll just have to wait n see.

not that strange the 1st rule of sport is if your rubbish you qualify <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

One thing I think will be interesting this time around is to see how many players from outside the 17-32 qualify for the finals in York given that the format has changed.

Under the 17 frame two session format you'd expect the vast majority of the 17-32 seeds to reach York but now with the tournament a best of 11 affair I think we could have seven or eight 17-32 seeds doing Christmas shopping in the first week of December

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote: I think we could have seven or eight 17-32 seeds doing Christmas shopping in the first week of December

and they wont be going to york to do it <laugh>

Postby Monique

PLtheRef wrote:One thing I think will be interesting this time around is to see how many players from outside the 17-32 qualify for the finals in York given that the format has changed.

Under the 17 frame two session format you'd expect the vast majority of the 17-32 seeds to reach York but now with the tournament a best of 11 affair I think we could have seven or eight 17-32 seeds doing Christmas shopping in the first week of December

Best of 11 is not a short format and I don't think that will be the decisive factor. BTW I don't buy it that short format = anyone's match. The last World Open proved that it isn't the case. It's pressure that's the main factor and there will be plenty of that in Gloucester next week.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:One thing I think will be interesting this time around is to see how many players from outside the 17-32 qualify for the finals in York given that the format has changed.

Best of 11 is not a short format and I don't think that will be the decisive factor. BTW I don't buy it that short format = anyone's match. The last World Open proved that it isn't the case. It's pressure that's the main factor and there will be plenty of that in Gloucester next week.

pressure yes but intervals and session snooker heightens the pressure more you always look over your shoulder thats why theres been huge session leads thats been overtaken next session.

one session snooker is not where snooker is at it best not by a long chalk.

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:

When you compare it to the 17 frame schedule this tournament has become known for throughout its 34 year History Monique, - you cant say that nearly halving the number of frames required isnt making it a short format. The issue here is that a lot of the newer professionals moving up in the rankings will now be playing a format similar to the ones that they play tournament in, tournament out compare to the longer distance which the more established names on the tour will have been used to for a quite a while.

The interesting paradox is that though the matches are shorter, the sessions are going to be longer as all 11 are played in the one session.

Postby Smart

best of 17 was such a great format in my view, really loved by fans on here, and I say across the board it was loved.................that is the real pity in this. It had a place, was unique in this format. What we have now is something which is much of a muchness when compared to other tournies. What really sets this out from the others......? :gag:

Postby Wildey

there is no question its lost it prestiege first when the final was reduced in 1993 and now reduce to best of 11s.

i literally cant seperate it from the shanghai masters this year yes its a major but its a few weeks away and it dont feel like a special event no more.

id not at all be surprised if barry will have a re think for next year.

Postby Smart

Wild wrote:there is no question its lost it prestiege first when the final was reduced in 1993 and now reduce to best of 11s.

i literally cant seperate it from the shanghai masters this year yes its a major but its a few weeks away and it dont feel like a special event no more.

yep, it wont be the same sort of buzz over best of 11........................ :irk:

Postby Muppet147

Smart wrote:
Wild wrote:there is no question its lost it prestiege first when the final was reduced in 1993 and now reduce to best of 11s.

yep, it wont be the same sort of buzz over best of 11........................ :irk:

Yes, Hearn has screwed up yet again with his meddling. Best of 11 is a joke. They should go back to the good old days when it was best of 17 and then best of 31 in the final. :ahh: