Post a reply

Middle finger tappers

Postby Roland

Based on the quoted post below, worthy of discussion. Which players do it and who are the most exaggerated? And why do they do it? Discuss.

Sickpotter wrote:
John From London Town wrote:
SP, Hi. Best left-hander ever. No criteria required other than your opinion. Just share it....
Question for you BTW (& No Tubs, this isn't open to you <laugh> )
Why do you believe the middle finger taps when players are down on the shot SP? I know why, just managed to put it down in words. Can you articulate why bud?
Sound.

Middle finger tap..... :chin:

Just a theory.......IMO it's most likely a timing thing but for some it could be nothing more than habit they picked up watching others.

Come to think of it, when I was playing 6+hrs a day it was a habit of mine as well. Picked it up from Hendry and found it helped my timing.

Hmmmm....on that note I'm gonna pay attention to that next time I practice. I think I still do it but it's not a concious thing so can't be sure unless I look for it :roll:

You virtually never get the right camera angle to see both the backswing and finger tap at the same time but I wouldn't be surprised to find they mirror each other or work in tandem for most players.

Re: Middle finger tappers

Postby Bourne

Annoyingly I do this as well haha, can't really find a reason for it it's just a natural instinct. I think I tend to do it more when i'm cueing well, it just seems to help me line the ball up better.

Postby Roland

I don't even know if I do it or not. I don't thinks so but I know I have done it and when I was a kid I used to copy it because I'd seen it on the television. I can't remember exactly who of the players does it the most exaggerated, but going on my mind's eye I'd say Barry Pinches, Dean Reynolds, Darren Morgan... come to think of it I think Darren Morgan's middle finger used to rise higher as he struck the cue ball. Mind's eye though, I maybe thinking of someone else.

Postby Wildey

Tony Meo his finger was doing the Can Can lol

Postby Monique

ROS does it ( or did it - I don't pay much attention to this) and was once asked the question why when I was around. The answer didn't come immediately; obviously it isn't something he's fully conscient about when doing it. Then he said that it probably helped to relax the tension in his bridge hand but that mainly it was just a habit he had picked.

Postby Sickpotter

Hendry did it a lot, haven't really payed attention lately to see if he's still at it.

Cliff does it a lot as well.

I think if people do a little looking they'll notice that virtually all of the top players do it to some extent.

Postby Smart

Sickpotter wrote:Hendry did it a lot, haven't really payed attention lately to see if he's still at it.

I think if people do a little looking they'll notice that virtually all of thetop players do it to some extent.

I dont think John McBride was a tapper. :gag:

Postby Sickpotter

Smart wrote:
Sickpotter wrote:Hendry did it a lot, haven't really payed attention lately to see if he's still at it.

I think if people do a little looking they'll notice that virtually all of thetop players do it to some extent.

I dont think John McBride was a tapper. :gag:

Be nice and give the man some credit. He may not have produced the goods but at least he made the effort to step out against the big boys <ok>

You gotta keep in mind that one's initial foray into the pro circuit is rarely going to be representative of their true ability, it's a whole different world of pressure out there compared to the practice table.

Postby randam05

I cant believe no ones mentioned Ken Doherty!!! Somebody get a clip. Especially recentley, its mad.

Postby Wildey

jadechelsea WC wrote:
Sonny wrote:your highest break?

nope you are very close too it :irk:

Selby was yesterdays news the new star in chelsea is Frank <ok>

Postby jadechelsea

Wild wrote:
jadechelsea WC wrote:
Sonny wrote:your highest break?

nope you are very close too it :irk: