4%
Bad idea
7%
Terrible idea
29%

Total votes : 28

The Sets Format Poll: Yes or No

Postby Tubberlad

Just in case anybody here is unfamiliar with the idea (for the rest of you I'll probably just sound like a stuck record), I'm going to outline this potential format that I feel is simple, easy to implement and would bring some level of variety to the tour.

[*] The tournament I would like to see it used for would more than likely have to currently be standard best-of-9 (or 7) tournaments. I have no preference as to which one.

[*] I would only like it to be used for one or at the most two events. I feel there isn't a whole lot wrong with the traditional 'race-to' format, it's more for the sake of variety that I like this and to get away from the culture of reduction in formats.

[*] Matches up to and including the semi-finals would be best-of-3 sets. Each set would be best of three frames.

[*] That means that a minimum of 4 frames would be played, with a maximum of 9... no problems with that.

[*] If you feel it is complicated, it is used in tennis and darts as the norm.

[*] The final would be best-of-7 sets. That would be a minimum of 8 frames, and a maximum of 21. It is however hugely unlikely that all seven sets would go to a deciding frame. I think it is also possible to have a best-of-5 sets final, which is a minimum of 6 frames and a maximum of 15.

[*] I feel this format would see an emphasis on more pressure frames, thus favouring the more established snooker players and players that are strong under pressure. That for me is it's main selling point. It offers a different mental challenge.

So, please give your honest opinions and vote. I will vote no opinion as I want to read the poll results but as I'm biased I won't be affecting the poll.

Re: The Sets Format Poll: Yes or No

Postby Wildey

my honest opinion its snooker on the table new format in how winners are decided.

its a no brainer if they looking for innovation.

best of 7s or 5s arent new ideas its just shortening frames this is a new idea.

Postby randam05

As you said, if kept to one or max of 2 tournaments then its brilliant. Thats why I vote Excellent idea!

Nice one. How can we get bazza to consider this?

Postby Witz78

always gonna be folk against this cos they will see someone who only wins 4 frames out of 8 but wins cos the score went like 0-2, 2-1, 2-1 in the sets.

personally i dont have a problem with it. No different to someone losing 5-4 who has won their 4 frames easily but the opponent has only won 5 close frames so has scored less points than the losing player in the match.

Postby Bourne

Best thing about this format is that we get more important frames in one match, so yeh someone can lose more frames and win but you'd still have to win more deciders which is great cos high pressure snooker is the best test.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:Best thing about this format is that we get more important frames in one match, so yeh someone can lose more frames and win but you'd still have to win more deciders which is great cos high pressure snooker is the best test.

yeh plus in the likes of darts and tennis, players often give up in a set where there well behind and likely to lose anyway so often when someones bagelled / whitewashed they havent gave their all fully so the argument about the loser winning more frames / legs / games doesnt really ring true.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Best thing about this format is that we get more important frames in one match, so yeh someone can lose more frames and win but you'd still have to win more deciders which is great cos high pressure snooker is the best test.

it really is a no brainer isnt it lol

best of 3 sets minimum frames played 4 maximum 9

Postby Witz78

how about a best of black ball shoot out as a tie breaker if it goes 1-1 in the deciding set but you have to win by 2 clear on the black balls. Be the ultimate dramatic conclusion to a match rather than a potential anti-climatic one sided deciding frame

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:how about a best of black ball shoot out as a tie breaker if it goes 1-1 in the deciding set but you have to win by 2 clear on the black balls. Be the ultimate dramatic conclusion to a match rather than a potential anti-climatic one sided deciding frame

Definitey don't like that idea at all, sorry :|

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:
Witz78 wrote:how about a best of black ball shoot out as a tie breaker if it goes 1-1 in the deciding set but you have to win by 2 clear on the black balls. Be the ultimate dramatic conclusion to a match rather than a potential anti-climatic one sided deciding frame

Definitey don't like that idea at all, sorry :|

witz would have power snooker decider if he could lol

Postby Casey

I'm a fan for sure tubbs. I think it would be well received by the audience and players can get themselves together after a bad start.

It's still a level playing field for all players not like the other gimmicks being put out there.

This is something the Welsh Open could take on board.

Postby Wildey

Casey wrote:This is something the Welsh Open could take on board.

absalutly

that needs something different i dont think putting matches inline with the PTC Worked at all.

Postby killamabob

i think its a good idea in principle and see no reason why it can't get a trial for a tournament. I mean, we've had power snooker (which i hate) tried and also the shootout (which i quite enjoyed) and compared to these two tournaments the sets idea isn't that outrages

Postby Tubberlad

People who voted bad idea or terrible idea, obviously there's no problem criticising the format, but if you could say what doesn't appeal to you about it I'd actually be interested to hear it! All feedback welcome <ok>

Postby GJ

this format of sets should be used for welsh open it needs revitalised

Postby Tubberlad

I really would love to know what criticisms people have with the format, there's a few who have voted against it and all opinions are welcome naturally <ok>

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:I really would love to know what criticisms people have with the format, there's a few who have voted against it and all opinions are welcome naturally <ok>

lets be honest you dont need to be einstein to work out who voted against it.

Postby GJ

Wild wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I really would love to know what criticisms people have with the format, there's a few who have voted against it and all opinions are welcome naturally <ok>

:? :gag:

Postby Wildey

GJ wrote:
Wild wrote:

:? :gag:

id bet you something that smart and vodka are 2 lol

Postby Tubberlad

Wild wrote:

Ehhhh.... Smart, Monique, Frame.... Mike Highway :shrug:

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:This has been picked up by Irish snooker blogger SnookerHQ:

http://snookerhq.com/2011/10/14/snooker-set-up/

Yes, Wild showed that to me.

There are a few more negative votes coming through, but I repeat that there isn't much point in doing that without telling me exactly what's wrong with it. All the people who have commented so far are in favour, so I'd just be curious to see what's turning people off, because personally speaking I think it's entirely workable and not in the least complicated.

Postby roy142857

Good idea, with some reservations, one of which is that it makes an idea I like (round robin groups of short matches) less likely. The other is that I'd worry about it becoming prevalent rather than a good and interesting variation. But as a format for one tournament a year, evan a couple? Rather like it.

Postby Roland

roy142857 wrote:Good idea, with some reservations, one of which is that it makes an idea I like (round robin groups of short matches) less likely. The other is that I'd worry about it becoming prevalent rather than a good and interesting variation. But as a format for one tournament a year, evan a couple? Rather like it.

Round robin groups is proven not to work though. Snooker players can't help themselves but help out their mates and make dodgy bets in the dead games.

Postby roy142857

Works pretty well on the amateur side, but ...

Less likely to have dead games if ranking points are attached to each position in a group, and dead games eliminated if ranking points for those eliminated were dependent on the number of frames won too.

In brief I'd have groups of 4, but with only group winners on frames going to the next round (a deciding frame may be needed). Only two or 3 frames between each of the players so a whole group can be done in one go and players know they only have to be there for a short amount of time (so not like the big amateur events where players are playing a round robin over several days). So you start with 128 players (say) possibly as qualifying tournament, need not even be all at the same location. Then move on to 32 players, again with only the winners going through to 2 groups of 4, and then a final between the remaining two group winners.