Topic locked

Premier League 2011: Week 6 (Stoke) DING WINS

Postby Wildey

A new year and a new format for the longest running shot-clock event in the sport. This year there are 10 players competing in an overall group-stage, with, once again, 4 semi-finalists going through to the finals weekend in Norfolk in November. Each week there will be 2 semi-finals and a final. Week Six sees German Masters Champion and World No 2 Mark Williams play World No 7 Ali Carter and in the Other Match Masters Champion Ding Junhui Take on Crowd Favorite Jimmy White. with the two winners facing each other in the final.

The 10 competing players are:

Allister Carter
Ding Junhui
John Higgins
Shaun Murphy
Ronnie O'Sullivan
Neil Robertson
Matthew Stevens
Judd Trump
Jimmy White
Mark Williams
Week Six: Thursday 13th October (19:30 BST)

Semi Final: Mark Williams 2-3 Ali Carter
Semi Final: Ding Junhui 3-2 Jimmy White

Final:Ali Carter 1-3 Ding Junhui
Premier League
Fixtures
Prediction Contest

Image Image

Re: Premier League 2011: Week 6 (Stoke)

Postby Wildey

Ding Junhui Matches will be a bit thin on the Ground over the Next Month not Entered PTC 8 or 9 and who knows if hes entered PTC 10,11 and 12.

I guess having the PTC Finals between 2 Chinese Ranking events means he doesent really want to Qualify anyway he could be staying in china for both Events.

But Tonight i fancy him to do the Buisness and Win Because he has so little matches to Focus For.

Postby mishcka

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:What?

The tournament is about entertaining the crowd, and apart from Jimmy, the others don't do it.

I liked the carrot persoanlity comment, I may start using it myself :D
Williams ain't bad tho :D

Postby Roland

Williams and Ding don't entertain the crowds? What planet....

As for Jimmy - in what way does he entertain the crowds these days over and above turning up?

Postby Roland

I should add that I don't mean that to be in anyway disrespectful, Jimmy was my boyhood hero but he's not even half the player he was. He can still pull off the shots with all the fizz, but it's pretty painful watching him struggle on television when he used to take other top players to the cleaners.

Postby Tubberlad

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:Bit dull tonight with three of the players having the personality of a carrot. Wont be watching.

I haven't enjoyed watching Jimmy White in an awfully long time. In fact, Jimmy White only entertains me with his vintage performances on YouTube...

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I should add that I don't mean that to be in anyway disrespectful, Jimmy was my boyhood hero but he's not even half the player he was. He can still pull off the shots with all the fizz, but it's pretty painful watching him struggle on television when he used to take other top players to the cleaners.

I Feel the same way about Hendry and i felt the same way about Alex Higgins its not fun watching them scratching about potting the odd ball then missing something easy.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Every week Jimmy plays in the league it's less interesting, a walkover is pretty much guaranted every time. It's also unfair to the players who don't get to play White, it's a lot harder for them to qualify.

very good point <ok>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

I don't really like the League this year and I'm saying this as a fan of the previous format. It isn't a league anymore, it's too crowded by too many players, the shot clock reduction to 20 seconds is too quick and the shot out in final frames is ridiculous. It's still OK, but I liked it a lot more. Hearn you screwed up this time.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:It's amazing the difference those 5 seconds make isn't it?

There are only a few players who have a average shot time under 20 seconds or who can play very good snooker in that time. 25 seconds is quite a "normal" average shot time for the top players. Now they are rushed into shots to make up that time, no doubt. I don't like it. Shot clock is fine but not under 25 seconds!

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Sonny wrote:It's amazing the difference those 5 seconds make isn't it?

There are only a few players who have a average shot time under 20 seconds or who can play very good snooker in that time. 25 seconds is quite a "normal" average shot time for the top players. Now they are rushed into shots to make up that time, no doubt. I don't like it. Shot clock is fine but not under 25 seconds!

speed of shots do not equall speed of frames

Postby Snooker Overdrive

But I'm confident that Hearn sees the problems he created and will return to the old format next year. Otherwise the Leagues successful times will be over quite quickly. Also due to the televised PTCs the Premier League evenings aren't that special anymore, there's enough snooker on through the fall.

By the way how many century did we have so far in this years? I don't think many.

Postby Bourne

Two fifties from Jim, playing quickly and in the groove he's so much easier to watch. But you know there's a ricket coming somewhere along the line and he might regret that missed chance in frame two ...

Postby Witz78

Snooker Overdrive wrote:But I'm confident that Hearn sees the problems he created and will return to the old format next year. Otherwise the Leagues successful times will be over quite quickly. Also due to the televised PTCs the Premier League evenings aren't that special anymore, there's enough snooker on through the fall.

By the way how many century did we have so far in this years? I don't think many.

there could be scope to have a Premier Cup instead of a Premier League and have a Sky based elite tournament held over a long weekend for the top players instead as tbh i dont know going forward where were going to fit in all these PL weeks unless they adopt the calendar i proposed where the PL is played in the weeks of PTCs and qualifiers