Topic locked

Re: PTC 7 (The Kay Suzanne Memorial Trophy) !!!!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Tubberlad wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Another fact to show the significance of the PTCs.

Ronnie only won 1 ranking match this season but is still the 5th highest ranked player in the 2011/12 season.

Which begs the question... is there too much emphasis on PTC's? Personally, I feel all the mainstream rankers should carry 7,000 ranking points, The UK about 9,000 and the World Championship 12,000

Probably. But didn't Hearn say something about wanting to RAISE the PTCs points?

Fact is, if you embrace the PTCs and put your work in you'll get the rewards - match practice, confidence, money and ranking points.

If you don't embrace them or even worse ignore them you'll slip down the rankings unless you have great runs in the ranking events.

Ronnie experienced the drawbacks first hand last season, now he's experiencing the advantages.

Postby Tubberlad

Tubberlad wrote:

Ronnie only won 1 ranking match this season but is still the 5th highest ranked player in the 2011/12 season.

Which begs the question... is there too much emphasis on PTC's? Personally, I feel all the mainstream rankers should carry 7,000 ranking points, The UK about 9,000 and the World Championship 12,000

Scratch that... 8,000 for the mainstream ones

Postby Tubberlad

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:

Probably. But didn't Hearn say something about wanting to RAISE the PTCs points?

Fact is, if you embrace the PTCs and put your work in you'll get the rewards - match practice, confidence, money and ranking points.

If you don't embrace them or even worse ignore them you'll slip down the rankings unless you have great runs in the ranking events.

Ronnie experienced the drawbacks first hand last season, now he's experiencing the advantages.

I hope you're right.

The points neither need to be increased or reduced, but the mainstream rankers do need to be upgraded in my opinion. Or there should be a limit to how many will count towards your ranking.

I agree with you on the benefits for the PTCs though, and I think most would agree they are very much a worthwhile venture.

Postby Casey

They are great for the younger players too - look at Trump last season. His PTC win was probably the catalyst for the rest of that season. Michael White will no doubt take a lot of experience and confidence from this week.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Casey wrote:They are great for the younger players too - look at Trump last season. His PTC win was probably the catalyst for the rest of that season. Michael White will no doubt take a lot of experience and confidence from this week.

I'm impressed by Michael White. He scored tied with Ronnie the most centuries (5). His break building is very good. His long game is good. But I was most impressed by his safety game. Ronnie played superb safetys today but White nearly matched him in that department.

He's a real talent.

Postby Roland

vodkadiet wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I never said you couldn't make comments about O'Sullivan's drug use, just not to blatantly antagonise people <ok>

Antagonise. That's funny. That is all that seems to go on here.

If posters don't like what others have to say, then they can always join a forum that discusses Ginger Nut Biscuits.

Don't talk for me.

pmsl

Postby vodkadiet

Sonny wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Tubberlad wrote:I never said you couldn't make comments about O'Sullivan's drug use, just not to blatantly antagonise people <ok>

Antagonise. That's funny. That is all that seems to go on here.

If posters don't like what others have to say, then they can always join a forum that discusses Ginger Nut Biscuits.

Don't talk for me.

pmsl

There should have a ? after antagonise. Bad grammar on my part. >-(

Postby mishcka

Casey wrote:
Bourne wrote:Yeh the UK will only be between about 5 or 6 players whereas about 50 different guys can win a PTC.

I don't want to knock the PTC's too much - I like them alot. For me they -

Give players the chance to play themselves into form
Earn extra cash
Provide ranking points
Fill in some live snooker gaps for the fans
Help develop snooker in new regions

No more - no less than that.

:hatoff:
I agree, I also like the format. I think playing 3-4 best of 7 matches against different opponent in one day requires more concentration. Thus PTC helps in developing the players concentration for when it is most needed (i.e. world champs). IT also requires (and developes) better levels of mental stamina than best of 9 majors (where players play once every day).

Postby Roland

You forgot to mention there Casey that it gives the amateurs coming up the chance to play the big names. Under previous administrations that would never happen competitively, you have to get through the various tiers of qualifiers and the top 16 were on more of an unreachable pedistal. With the PTCs that's not the case. Literally anyone can draw anyone and that is part of the reason they are so good for the viewers.

Some players hate them, some love them. The fact is they are treat for us fans of the game, especially with the live streaming. Behind closed doors like last season is a different matter. The consensus among players I spoke to is that they hate the cubicles at Sheffields and wish the partitions could be taken down and have it all open plan. They have to do that as soon as possible in my opinion.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You forgot to mention there Casey that it gives the amateurs coming up the chance to play the big names. Under previous administrations that would never happen competitively, you have to get through the various tiers of qualifiers and the top 16 were on more of an unreachable pedistal. With the PTCs that's not the case. Literally anyone can draw anyone and that is part of the reason they are so good for the viewers.

Some players hate them, some love them. The fact is they are treat for us fans of the game, especially with the live streaming. Behind closed doors like last season is a different matter. The consensus among players I spoke to is that they hate the cubicles at Sheffields and wish the partitions could be taken down and have it all open plan. They have to do that as soon as possible in my opinion.

yes not only play the pros but play them often and now even get TV Lighting Experiance .

Many amataurs not even been close to that before

Take Someone Like Eden Sharav this season hes plays on TV Set up tables against Jimmy And Robbo christ in old times he would have to get on tour then about 4 years to even get to TV Venues.

Postby vodkadiet

Wild wrote:
Sonny wrote:You forgot to mention there Casey that it gives the amateurs coming up the chance to play the big names. Under previous administrations that would never happen competitively, you have to get through the various tiers of qualifiers and the top 16 were on more of an unreachable pedistal. With the PTCs that's not the case. Literally anyone can draw anyone and that is part of the reason they are so good for the viewers.

yes not only play the pros but play them often and now even get TV Lighting Experiance .

Take Someone Like Eden Sharav this season hes plays on TV Set up tables against Jimmy And Robbo christ in old times he would have to get on tour then about 4 years to even get to TV Venues.

Let them work their way through. Why should top players have to meet reject players in cubicles?

Get rid of the PTC's, and let's go back to the the one year ranking system.

There should be no more than 8 ranking events a season, plus the Masters. Quality is better than quantity. Snooker is now being played to saturation point.

In addition, I would like to see no more Premier League, Power Snooker, Snooker Shoot Out, World Cup.

All there should be is:

Worlds
UK
Grand Prix(in Scotland)
Welsh Open
China Open
German Open
Thailland Open
Irish Open

Masters

That's all there should be.

Postby Smart

vodkadiet wrote:
Smart wrote:Shanghai Masters :|

Cancel it. No snooker before October. :-)

Its been on the schedule for some time now. Not personally a fan of summer snooker myself, I like a proper break between summer and autumn. With the PTCs coming in and Q school the schedule is pretty much year round. Too much unless you are directly involved I would argue. <ok>

The first tourney used to be the Grand Prix in October from memory. I do like Shanghai Masters with its time schedule of 7am starts. :hatoff:

Postby Bourne

I'd like the PTCs to become the snooker's version of the Challenger Tour in tennis in a couple of years time so yes the top guys should milk it for what it's worth now while they can but after that only those outside say the top 32 can enter, then structure the ranking points pyramid properly so that it's possible for players to work their way through the PTC challengers without jumping up abnormally through a couple of tournament wins.

Postby vodkadiet

Bourne wrote:I'd like the PTCs to become the snooker's version of the Challenger Tour in tennis in a couple of years time so yes the top guys should milk it for what it's worth now while they can but after that only those outside say the top 32 can enter, then structure the ranking points pyramid properly so that it's possible for players to work their way through the PTC challengers without jumping up abnormally through a couple of tournament wins.

PTC's should carry very few ranking points, similar to the Challenger circuit in tennis. Top players would then give them a miss, and let Mickey Mouse players play in them.

Postby Bourne

vodkadiet wrote:
Bourne wrote:I'd like the PTCs to become the snooker's version of the Challenger Tour in tennis in a couple of years time so yes the top guys should milk it for what it's worth now while they can but after that only those outside say the top 32 can enter, then structure the ranking points pyramid properly so that it's possible for players to work their way through the PTC challengers without jumping up abnormally through a couple of tournament wins.

PTC's should carry very few ranking points, similar to the Challenger circuit in tennis. Top players would then give them a miss, and let Mickey Mouse players play in them.

Yeh i'm for that. Then at least we can get rid of the argument over players being tired, peak for the big events if you care about success or just hussy out the little tournaments if you want the money. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:

Yeh i'm for that. Then at least we can get rid of the argument over players being tired, peak for the big events if you care about success or just hussy out the little tournaments if you want the money. <ok>

tennis can do that snooker cant at the moment the tour is not strong enough to let lower rankers get on with it id rather tune in as a fan to see top players being challenged by the bottom players not seeing endless Jamie Burnett v Barry Pinches matches.

PTC is perfect as it is maybe reducing the Amount of them but theres nothing to gain in making them totally worthless for Top Players Entering.

Postby Bourne

Depends if you want snooker to keep growing or not ... 8-10 proper rankers a season for me is ideal, the top guys play all of them with the qualifiers etc. That's enough tournaments to gain a proper reading of the ranking standings. Then you can have your PTCs for jerneymen, PL and shot-clock stuff on top of that and the calendar looks full. But the 8-10 rankers should be weighted sufficiently that it's not impossible for the non-32 members to get in there if they do OK in the PTCs.

Postby vodkadiet

weewelshwitch wrote:I fear a forum debating Ginger Nuts could become extremely offensive - Us Ginger Nuts are very sensitive types and get upset at "colourist" remarks.

No offence intended. :-D

Postby MarkSelbyNo1Fan

vodkadiet wrote:
Wild wrote:

Let them work their way through. Why should top players have to meet reject players in cubicles?

There should be no more than 8 ranking events a season, plus the Masters. Quality is better than quantity. Snooker is now being played to saturation point.

In addition, I would like to see no more Premier League, Power Snooker, Snooker Shoot Out, World Cup.

All there should be is:

Worlds
UK
Grand Prix(in Scotland)
Welsh Open
China Open
German Open
Thailland Open
Irish Open

Masters

Dear god.

Postby GJ

MarkSelbyNo1Fan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Wild wrote:

All there should be is:

Worlds
UK
Grand Prix(in Scotland)
Welsh Open
China Open
German Open
Thailland Open
Irish Open

Masters

Dear god.