He's Done Alright But is Overhyped
41%
Pressure
12%
He Thinks He's All Great
18%
Bad Luck
No votes
Toughness of Circuit (ie Not Enough Events)
18%
He Has Achieved
6%

Total votes : 17

Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve?

Postby Cheesyman99

As I write this Judd Trump is fading away to Ford. He was THE big thing not so long ago but and everyone was saying by now he'd be Top 10 in the World. He's reached the Semis of the Grand Prix and won the Championship League, but that probably isn't enough for all that he was hyped for.
Why do you think he hasn't achieved? Or do you think he has achieved?

Re: Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve?

Postby Alex0paul

Cheesyman99 wrote:WIll be interesting to see how Brecel compares to Judd.

I think Brecel will do better because of his autism. I can't wait to see how he does on the tour.

Postby Cheesyman99

Alex0paul wrote:

I think Brecel will do better because of his autism. I can't wait to see how he does on the tour.

Brecel needs to succeed. Everyone seems to be treating him like Jesus II and he has been taken out of school and now has private tutoring based around getting as much Snooker practice as possible.

Postby Alex0paul

Cheesyman99 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Brecel needs to succeed. Everyone seems to be treating him like Jesus II and he has been taken out of school and now has private tutoring based around getting as much Snooker practice as possible.

Sounds like Murphy

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I put down pressure.

While the man is gifted, of that there is no doubt, he has become one of them players that when a player draws him, he becomes a target, someone you know you have to play well against & have to raise your game against.

As for your question, Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve? Simple. He has had a lot of expectations placed on his young shoulders.

I'd like to see the interview after his match against Tom Ford to see what he's got to say. From what I could make out, Tom Ford raised his game & played briliantly against him.

Postby Alex0paul

Ford maybe had a case of the reprieved man syndrome after his result against Hamilton where he won 10-6 from 6-2 down.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I put down pressure.

While the man is gifted, of that there is no doubt, he has become one of them players that when a player draws him, he becomes a target, someone you know you have to play well against & have to raise your game against.

As for your question, Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve? Simple. He has had a lot of expectations placed on his young shoulders.

I'd like to see the interview after his match against Tom Ford to see what he's got to say. From what I could make out, Tom Ford raised his game & played briliantly against him.

By the way, how old is he?

Your article, while prompting a very good question, should probably ask.

Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve..........Yet?

Postby Cheesyman99

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I put down pressure.

By the way, how old is he?

Your article, while prompting a very good question, should probably ask.

Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve..........Yet?

20, which is young but he has had 5 seasons on the tour.

Last year at the Crucible when they did that Top 8 in 5 years time thing, almost everyone had Judd in their 2009 Top 8.

Postby Cheesyman99

Cheesyman99 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Speaking of Luca he is 15 today!
Happy Birthday

Postby Witz78

Cheesyman99 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

In that case, i hope Hearn gives him a wildcard onto tour next season to make up for him not getting on last year when hed earned it by rights.

His life is obviously snooker snooker snooker, and hes clearly a great talent, so lets get him on tour right now, its what the game needs. Stuff this silly argument that hes under 16, if hes good enough hes old enough <ok>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

It's probably a bit of all those things thats doing him harm. I wouldnt be too harsh on him but I think people shouldn't talk about him like he's a definite future tournament winner. If he's let get on with it he should come good eventually.

Postby Cheesyman99

Witz78 wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

In that case, i hope Hearn gives him a wildcard onto tour next season to make up for him not getting on last year when hed earned it by rights.

His life is obviously snooker snooker snooker, and hes clearly a great talent, so lets get him on tour right now, its what the game needs. Stuff this silly argument that hes under 16, if hes good enough hes old enough <ok>

at the World Series he beat Jimmy White 5-3 but then lost to Graeme Dott 5-4. So he can mix it with the best. Give him a wildcard into the masters or maybe the World's Qualifying with the other amatuers.

Postby Tubberlad

Good question Cheesy, but the answer is a combination of many things.

Trump is clearly a gifted player, but I reckon he believes his own hype. Although excellent, the current tour layout is very tough on these players. He's also targeted as a big-fish in qualifying due to his reputation, the pressure is bound to tell, and this year it has.

While Trump is excellent, he's got an awful long way to go, and todays result is a wake up call. He has no divine right to anything...ask Jimmy White.

Postby GJ

I think trump will end up having a similar career to stevens very talented but just to lazy to dedicate himself to snooker properly

Postby GrumpyMrDavros

I chose the " overhyped " option

I remember after the 1980 world championship a few of the experts were touting that Steve Davis would be a big name in the game

BUT

these experts could never have envisaged how dominant he'd be in the game . Totally dominated the sport in the 1980s and still playing competitive matches in 2010

People predicted that Hendry could perhaps emulate Davis after his crucible debut and Hendry has lived up to the hype

It's debatable if O'Sullivan and Higgins have under achieved but they still won tournaments in their teens

To have Trump in the same bracket as the above is plainly ridiculous . The same thing happened to Ding ( Even though he proved to be a very occasional tourney winner ) and it's starting to look ridiculous when every couple of years any youth showingslightly above average natural talent is hyped to heaven . This does much more harm than good to both the player and the game

Postby N_Castle07

Let’s put this into perspective people. The lad is only 20. Yes Hendry, O’Sullivan and Higgins where winning ranking titles in there teens but snooker is different now. All the current players except Murphy seem to look odds on peaking in there late 20’s early 30’s. I strongly believe snooker players are peaking at a slightly older age to those in the past.

Postby Sickpotter

I'd put it down to pressure and unreasonable expectation of success from Trump himself. Let's face it, confidence is requisite, over-confidence is a killer. Still lots of time for him, it's just going to take a while for him to get used to the fact that everyone he plays now can stitch him up on a given day. Whether or not that period will damage his confidence is another question.

Interesting to note that players seem to be peaking late 20's early 30's now, I've got a theory.

The newer players today are coming into the professional ranks with excellent break building skills but weak tactical skills.

By contrast, Hendry came through the ranks playing against players with huge experience and tactical knowledge. To compete against them he had to aquire the tactical aspect of the game at the outset to make the tour.

By opening the field they've added tons of young, talented breakbuilders but few of them have the complete snooker game. By creating a field of breakbuilders/attacking players with only a few experienced tactical players in the mix it takes longer for the new players to gain the tactical experience needed to succeed and so they peak later in their careers.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul WC wrote:

I've never even heard of him. :huh2:

Postby SnookerFan

From Wikipedia; "In May 2009, in the Grand Final of the World Series of Snooker in Portugal, he reached the final eight, the only unranked amateur player between 7 top-32. He beat Jimmy White 4-3 and former World Champion Ken Doherty 5-3 on his way to the quarter-finals where he lost narrowly 5-4 to Graeme Dott.[3]"

Oh, that guy. I think I vaguely remember him. I didn't see that much of that event.

Postby Monique

Luca Brecel is now 15. He's Belgian but currently practising with Peter Ebdon and Liang Wenbo at the academy and educated privately.
In 2009 he won the under-19 EBSA Champ in St Petersbourg which should have given him a MT spot if he had been 16 ... but he was only 14. His HB in competition is 136. He's made 57 maxies in practice, and has a practice HB of 152. His coach is Danny Moermans , but Chris Henry is following him also. He's managed by 110.
He's alledgedly borderline autistic. I think he's similar to young Shaun Murphy in many ways.

Postby Wildey

a question to Alex how will being autism help him to do better than Trump ?

he is a great prospect and hes had some impressive results but that doesent mean he will fullfill that promise.

judd trump has teached me not to expect nothing from Lucal Bracel. i expected great things from trump and hes let my expectations down so im not going to get carried away with Bracel at all.

Postby Casey

Trump has won more at his age than MOST pros will ever win.

Give him a chance, he is still young, Robbo and Selby where nowhere at Trump’s age and look how well they are doing now.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Trump has won more at his age than MOST pros will ever win.

Give him a chance, he is still young, Robbo and Selby where nowhere at Trump’s age and look how well they are doing now.

they never had the expectation trump had nobody since Ronnie has had more pre career focus than trump had and hes not delivered anything at all if im truthfull ..

you can point to 2 qualifieng contests but the guy is 20 now come on last season should have been his moving on season but hes gone from starting point of 21 to rank no 27 below Mark Davis who started the season at 39 :?

and start of next season on the 1 year list hes 41 with 45 year old Drago having to start at qualifying round 1 at 37 :?

come on excuses wont help him he needs a rocket up his bottom and quick.

Postby Casey

Well you have hit the nail on the head Wild, he is only 20. Also I would argue Ding was the first big touted player since Ronnie and co came on the scene.

The guy could still turn out to be a multi world champion. His teens will not define his career.

As for the one year list, that won't matter when Hearn's plans are voted in <ok>

Postby Wildey

ive known of Trump for 10 years he was touted as the next big thing before i ever herd of Ding .

mate he really should have done better than he has by now he has only reached 1 last 16 in a ranking tournament and even that he didn't have to win a last 32 to get there.