Post a reply

Re: 200 billiards break by Walter Lindrum

Postby Roland

If you want to find out more about Walter Lindrum you can't go far wrong with this article:

http://www.eaba.co.uk/articles/walterLi ... ofile.html

It's a fascinating read, there's so much you can relate to in today's snooker players. It's amazing to think he was so good he almost killed off the game because no one could compete with him and also to read about the "Big Five" billards players of the era and how they traded 1000 breaks like snooker players trade centuries. Lindrum ended up with over 700 of them, much like Hendry in snooker with centuries. And even though they were seen as the big five, Lindrum generally conceded 7000 points when he played the others because he was that much better.

Postby PLtheRef

Watching that, just like watching Snooker can give the deceptive impression that the game is easy. I know because I've given billiards a try and my hi-break is around about 10.

As Sonny said, the thing with Walter's prowess harmed the game - he made a break of almost half a million over six weeks. Though impressive it sterilised the game and despite attempts to revitalise it, tinkering with the rules doesnt help.

The World Championships are at the NSC in Leeds this month, I think I might pop down and watch some of it.

Postby Roland

There's nothing about a break of nearly half a million in that biography I linked. The highest break was just over 4000 and reading the story of the high break record is part of the fascination of the article.

His first break over 2000 came at the request of his girlfriend on her death bed - she asked him to make a break over 2000 and the next day he made 2002.

Postby PLtheRef

I'm sure Clive mentioned Lindrum had got a break approaching half a million which was done over five weeks or something and the only reason it was declared was because another match was coming on.