Topic locked

PTC7: South West Snooker Academy Give Carers a Break

Postby Roland

email from Janie Watkins:

SOUTH WEST SNOOKER ACADEMY GIVES CARERS A BREAK

The South West Snooker Academy in Quedgeley is working closely with community and volunteer groups across Gloucestershire.

In recognition of the invaluable and often invisible work done by countless carers and volunteers, the South West Snooker Academy is inviting Voluntary Organisations, Schools and Community Groups to visit the Academy.

A spokesman from South West Snooker Academy said "We're delighted to be working with groups like Gloucester Carers, St. John Ambulance Cadets, the Scouts and Schools in the county.

"We have met many unsung heroes from across the area and it's been an inspiration to work with such dedicated and caring people.

"We are pleased to be able to give something back to the community and look forward to fostering more similar relationships in the future.

"We're delighted that the Community is enjoying some of the benefits the Academy can offer and we look forward to welcoming their parties to the final day of the Kay Suzanne Memorial Trophy on 9 October. The event is a World Snooker ranking tournament and is the seventh Players Tour Championship event of the season.

"The Kay Suzanne Memorial Trophy is going to be a very special event. For the first time ever the world's leading 96 snooker players will all play in Pink in recognition of Breast Cancer Care month.

Any Group or School who would like to bring their Group to visit the Academy or arrange activities can telephone the Academy on 01452 223214 and speak to either Paul Williams or Janie Watkins.

World Champion John Higgins congratulated the Academy on its Community Initiatives saying "My dad passed away of breast cancer earlier this year.

"It is a very rare disease in men and so the Breast Cancer cause is one that is very close to me and my family's heart."

"It is great that Paul [Mount, Academy owner] has invested in the sport like he has. As well as bringing the top snooker players to the county, he is doing a lot of work to promote the sport to youngsters and the local comminity. "It's great that children in the county have the chance to meet their heroes."

The Stars of the Snooker World are also excited to be involved.

World No 1 Mark Selby, whose father died of lung cancer in 1999, said: "We all know someone who has suffered from cancer and I feel it's vital to raise awareness of all forms of the disease. It's a great idea to turn the PTC event pink and we'll do what we can to make it a success. I'm not sure about the pink shirt, it's not really my colour!"

"The public are also being encouraged to come along wearing pink to continue to raise awareness for Breast Cancer Care.

"There are still tickets available for the three day event. Ticket prices start at just £5 for under 16s, £15 for a day ticket and £35 for a three day season ticket. Call 01452 223214, visit the Academy in Quedgeley or book online at our website: http://www.southwestsnookeracademy.com.