Post a reply

YOUR IDEAL SNOOKER TOUR & SET UP

Postby Witz78

On almost every thread there seems to be people throwing their tuppenceworth into whats wrong with the current tour or what they would do, so heres a thread of its own for everyone to state what they fully want and would call their ideal tour / set up.

Here are some bullet points for the key topics to initially jog your mind and get you thinking........ :hatoff:

TOURNAMENT STRUCTURES / FORMATS

TOUR STRUCTURE / CALENDAR

PTC FUTURE ROLE / IMPORTANCE

RANKING POINTS SYSTEM

GLOBAL EXPANSION OF GAME

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT / NEW TOUR PROFESSIONALS

TV COVERAGE / LIVE STREAMING

SPONSORSHIP / FINANCES OF THE SPORT / PRIZE MONEY

RULES OF THE GAME / DRESS CODE

NEW FORMATS / FANBASE / CROWDS

Re: YOUR IDEAL SNOOKER TOUR & SET UP

Postby Bourne

First thing i'd have to shake it up is making the Shootout a ranking event, unquestionably there is scope for a tournament of it's kind to be part of the calendar and it was a huge success last year so why not :D

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:First thing i'd have to shake it up is making the Shootout a ranking event, unquestionably there is scope for a tournament of it's kind to be part of the calendar and it was a huge success last year so why not :D

yeh i agree even if it was, say 4,000 points to the winner what would the harm be, after all theres already about 80-90,000 points up for grabs over a season so this would be a tiny percentage of the overall standings anyway.

At the moment its just a relaxed non serious fun event, but id sooner see it become truly more competitive and have an edge to it.

Postby Bourne

PTCs should definitely be something like best 8 of 12 count or along those lines, that way there's nothing stopping players playing every single one or skipping 4.

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:PTCs should definitely be something like best 8 of 12 count or along those lines, that way there's nothing stopping players playing every single one or skipping 4.

to be honest though theres nothing stopping players skipping them at the moment.

In theory they could skip all 12 if they want without any fear of punishment.

If there high up the rankings and are happy enough with where they are, not at risk of falling out of top 16 etc then they could just enter the 3 UK and 3 abroad to meet the minimim criteria and make sure in those 6 appearances they do enough to make the top 24 of the PTC order of merit to make the Finals

Postby Wildey

ill think about this in detail however this block entry rubish id change regarding PTC ....

it was early enough yesterday closing date for PTC 7 With draw today.....no need this block booking and then players could enter tacticly regarding on their ranking predicament.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:ill think about this in detail however this block entry rubish id change regarding PTC ....

it was early enough yesterday closing date for PTC 7 With draw today.....no need this block booking and then players could enter tacticly regarding on their ranking predicament.

yeh thats just a con to get most players to fork out for all the tournys in the block just so they have the option of attending

Postby Tubberlad

TOURNAMENT STRUCTURES / FORMATS: Keep the World Championship as it is, but with best-of-31 semi-finals. Restore the old UK system but with a best-of-31 final. I'd like sets used for a tournament and a matchplay format, but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

TOUR STRUCTURE / CALENDAR: Not sure really, I have no qualms right now. Get rid of the Championship League and Premier League perhaps and spread the PTCs out more.

PTC FUTURE ROLE / IMPORTANCE: Keep 12 events, with 4 in Gloucester, 6 in Europe and two on the Asian swing of the tour, probably in China.

RANKING POINTS SYSTEM: Truly rolling rankings, updated after each tournament.

GLOBAL EXPANSION OF GAME: Not sure really, it isn't all that bad at the moment. We should have the Irish Masters back on the calender as an invitational though, it was a brilliant tournament.

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT / NEW TOUR PROFESSIONALS: I like the two year idea, I hope it goes ahead <ok>

TV COVERAGE / LIVE STREAMING: I'd like to see Sky and ITV get on board, showing proper ranking events.

SPONSORSHIP / FINANCES OF THE SPORT / PRIZE MONEY: Put the Masters and the UK on an even keel, but I don't think things seem too bad at the moment.

RULES OF THE GAME / DRESS CODE: Relax it for certain events

NEW FORMATS / FANBASE / CROWDS: See my first point on formats.

Postby Bourne

Truly rolling rankings would actually be the thing i'd welcome the most at the moment, and that means qualifying events being the week/two weeks before the event with nothing in between, just makes perfect sense and would be far more interesting to see players rewarded for the here and now more than they are at the moment.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:Truly rolling rankings would actually be the thing i'd welcome the most at the moment, and that means qualifying events being the week/two weeks before the event with nothing in between, just makes perfect sense and would be far more interesting to see players rewarded for the here and now more than they are at the moment.

<ok>

but there are people thats dead against that our own snookerfan is one lol

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:Truly rolling rankings would actually be the thing i'd welcome the most at the moment, and that means qualifying events being the week/two weeks before the event with nothing in between, just makes perfect sense and would be far more interesting to see players rewarded for the here and now more than they are at the moment.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Why should the China Open have zero effect on the World Championship seedings?

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

<ok>

thats just from a selfish view that he wants to know whos playing when he buys his tickets months in advance <doh>

WC tickets go on sale in Nov, 3 months before the cut off so they will be sold out before top 16 is known so why not just make the WC cut off April

and Masters tickets already on sale so why not just make top 16 cut off after the UK to give it added edge

infact rolling rankings fully in operation as other say is obviously the way to go in an ideal world with qualifiers played the alternate week where things like Premier League or Championship League can be played by the top players whilst the rest scrap it out in qualifying

Postby Wildey

Tubberlad wrote:

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. Why should the China Open have zero effect on the World Championship seedings?

This season theres so much Ranking events between Cut off and the World Championship that World no 33 could be a seed at the World Championship <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:

<ok>

I'm not against the idea, actually. I've been typecast that way. rofl

It was an old thread on a breakdown where we first discussed it (before we had any rolling rankers implement) and Seifer was adamant that we should have them. I queried if it would work. Bear in mind this was the season we had the Bahrain tournament, so there was close to one tournament a month. I asked if it was possible to administrate considering a player might not know whether he was top-16 until shortly before the qualifying event. Also if matches/top-16 were changed on a monthly basis, this might affect ticket sales, which is something that were way down at that point. (Remember all this was pre-Hearn.) I actually said I agreed with the idea in theory, if Seifer could suggest a way to make it feasible.

Seifer responded with his usual dignified intelligence by telling me that I was a bastard who hated snooker, that I was a dinosaur who wanted the sport to fail. When I repeated that I wouldn't be against the idea, if he could respond to the points I made he replied that he'd already done it several times and he wasn't explaining again to a person who wanted snooker to become bankrupt. <doh>

I was never actually against the idea, I just questioned whether it would work on a monthly basis before any rolling rankings had been implemented. I always made clear that if we could find a way of making it work, I could see the point in doing it.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
thats just from a selfish view that he wants to know whos playing when he buys his tickets months in advance <doh>

See post above, I'm not actually against the idea.

The ticket buying thing is added to the con list, obviously. But I can see the advantages to it also. There were times in The Masters, for example, that we had a person ranked 40th in the world provisionally, and they were taking part in The Masters.

And besides, though it is partly selish because I like knowing who I am buying tickets for, I always wonder if other people feel the same. I've been to matches were there are me and four other people in the crowd. It's a big priority finding how to sell tickets to snooker, so I mentioned it as a consideration not only for myself, but as part of the on-going problem of finding how to sell more tickets to the matches.

Postby SnookerFan

The main thing I'd like to see is some more long-match format tournaments.

I think it was a crying shame that we had to shorten the UK Championships. I know the reasons were good ones, so I'm not bashing Hearn for doing it. But I'd like to see another tournament that had matches for at least best of 19 all the way through, even if it was only televised on Eurosport. Hell, I'd settle for one where the first week wasn't televised, but you could buy tickets for the non-televised matches. This doesn't have to be for the UK Championship. It can be something seperate, so that the UK matches stay on television, but these tournaments are something different to the UK.

Best of fives/Best of sevens seem very much in fashion at the moment, and the idea that a shorter match is more entertaining seems to be accepted. Or at least accepted by World Snooker. That's sad, whenever there is a poll snooker fans prefer longer matches. So I don't see why we can't find some way to accomodate both, if it's truly what fans like watching.

I appreciate not necessarily ideal, in that there are tournaments whereby you'd have to win more frames or harder matches then it would take to win the UK Championship which is supposedly the second biggest ranking tournament of the year. But I'd rather that then having no longer matches at all.

Postby Wildey

to start with snookerfan is not alone regarding buying tickets matt (pro snooker blog) is also thinking along those lines because that what as snooker fans we used to.

in may 2011 we would have known the seeds for the 2012 World championship and in early to mid march everything was sorted to qualifiers,draw and order of play.

so it will take time for them to adjust to it because they had a routine but everyone from players,refs and fans will have to adjust to things.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:to start with snookerfan is not alone regarding buying tickets matt (pro snooker blog) is also thinking along those lines because that what as snooker fans we used to.

in may 2011 we would have known the seeds for the 2012 World championship and in early to mid march everything was sorted to qualifiers,draw and order of play.

so it will take time for them to adjust to it because they had a routine but everyone from players,refs and fans will have to adjust to things.

Bear in mind, though, I like attending live snooker events enough, that I will adjust if I had to. The reason I think it's a more important point then some are making out, is that if I've thought about, Matt has thought about it. Do you think we're the only two?

Despite thinking twice, we'll probably still go. But will everybody? What about people who aren't part of the internet snooker discussing community. People who attended sometimes, but weren't massive fans. If it makes hardcore fans think twice, what's it going to do to people like that? Some people will be discouraged if the matches aren't announced until a couple of weeks before the event, especially people who might book a day or two off to visit a tournament due to travelling and staying over.

Let's not get carried away. I'm not dead against monthly rolling rankings, nor am I suggesting everybody will stop going. But to suggest everybody who buys tickets will go; "Oh well, I don't care who I see, I'm buying tickets anyway" is misguided. I'd probably cave and buy the tickets anyway, but would everybody?

Look as The Masters, tickets are already on sale for the one-table set-up, matches aren't announced, and they are selling tickets have half-price. Conveniently the deal is ending shortly before rankings are ammended. This leads me to believe ticket sales are slow when matches aren't announced. That's why I can't see World Snooker making it a tournament-by-tournament deal. Whether we like it or not, snooker doesn't sell well as it is outside of The Crucible, and Hearn the businessman will see that.

The tournament by tournament Rolling Ranking system would be brilliant from a televisual standpoint don't get me wrong, but I bet World Snooker don't see the lack of tickets sales as a small problem. That's before we've even got to working out the qualifiers. Where you are in the rankings are decides how many matches you play in qualifiers. It's conceivable you wouldn't know what stage you were entering a qualifying tournament until a week or so before it started, so there's that problem.

Again, from a television spectators standpoint this means little. If you have no intention of buying tickets to any events in the calendar, then you don't care the issues with who is playing when in either rankers or qualifying events.

If somebody could come up with a way of solving these problems, then I will turn round and actually say the updating the rankings after every tournament is a great idea. I think from a televisual standpoint it's brilliant. A few seasons ago we had people do feck-all all season, have a good run at The Crucible then stay in the top-16. I'm against that. Also you got Grame Dott ranked provisionally 40-odd in the world, but appear in The Masters. This also seems ridiculous. My only point is changing them every couple of weeks/month is difficult to do.

If it's do-able, I say do it. I'll still say it'll make buying tickets a pain in the bottom, but I can find ways round that. What I'm saying is I think it's difficult to do. If we can find away, without it bringing in huge administration worries, and huge loss of ticket sales, then fine. But, as yet, people seem to have Seifer's ability to ignore my points and pretend I don't want the sport to evolve.

Postby Wildey

well its quite simple dont go then because like it or not that is the future and its long over due.

people book tickets for wimbledon months in advance the draw not done until 5 or 6 days before the event.

Postby Witz78

what a load of waffle, Seifers description of a dinosaur against change rings true.

if your such a "Snookerfan" youd be happy to buy tickets and see whatever game you end up with tickets for.

Postby Wildey

one thing ive hated was players going to china with everything sorted.

Players that arent in the World Treating it as their Final event and Players thats in the World thinking of who they playing at the Crucible....

it detracted from a very important ranking event.

This season is far better.

But obviously id like it to go one step further than that where Cut Off is done just before the Qualifiers so that nobody takes China as Practice for the World and Nobody really knows What seed they are for The World.

Postby Witz78

exactly it would set up them last 3 or 4 events before the Crucible up brilliantly as The Race to Sheffield as players either side of the top 16 cut off all scramble for points and give it their all, not to mention the likeliehood that someone would have a good run and come from about 25th into top 16 contention at the lats minute too. It really would spice things up.

Basically with the rankings being determined for the WC so far in advance it would be the equivalent of the UK still being based on the seasons starting rankings with Cope, Ebdon and Hendry being in the top 16 when there clearly not. Thats just whats going to happen with the Worlds for certain, the wrong top 16 will be there, with 4 rankers not counting its not rolling and is in some ways similar to the old rankings set up / tour when the WC seedings / top 16 didnt take into account the previous rankers that season.

Also were liable to see clashes of top players in round 1 as a qualifier who has done well in this 4 pre-WC tournys and is around top 8 ends up drawn against a top player whilst someone whos seeded despite being down to early 20s in provisionals by time WC starts draws an outsider about 50th in the world.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:well its quite simple dont go then because like it or not that is the future and its long over due.

people book tickets for wimbledon months in advance the draw not done until 5 or 6 days before the event.

Witz78 wrote:what a load of waffle, Seifers description of a dinosaur against change rings true.

if your such a "Snookerfan" youd be happy to buy tickets and see whatever game you end up with tickets for.

Are you two not reading what I said? I've said that I would go, but still question how it would affect ticket sales amongst people amongst the whole.

Snooker isn't anywhere near the popularity of tennis. Certainly in this country. One year I was in Telford Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Stuart Bingham was playing on one table, I however was on the other table watching Shaun Murphy vs Patrick Wallace. I was oneof five people watching the match. Saying "people pay months in advance for Wimbledon" is neither here nor there. The X-Factor auditions have a huge audience wherever they are held now, but it's not relevant.

We might wish to pretend otherwise, but there are hell of a lot of fans will only buy tickets when matches are announced. I'm not saying this purely for my benefit.

I say again, and will highlight this so you two who seem intent on implying I wish to hold snooker back for some reason understand. I have no problem with rolling rankings on a tournament, by tournament basis.

The other issue I have with it is this, that I think makes it difficult is that World Snooker struggle to schedule the PTCs properly, how are they manage administrating this properly? Imagine this situation. Going into the China Open, it isn't sure whether a certain player will be ranked 16th or 17th at the end of the tournament because the two players in those position are so close ranking points wise. The same thing happens with the players ranked 32 and 33. How the hell would you organise the qualifers for the World Championship? You'd have to wait until after the China Open is over before you scheduled any of the qualifying tournament, as there may well be several players you wouldn't know how many matches they'd have to play to qualify as you wouldn't necessarily know if they were going to be a top-16/32/every multiple of 16 player until at the very least halfway through the tournament. Then you'd have to squeeze in the whole qualifying tournamet for the Worlds in after the China Open had finished.

If you're constantly changing the top-16, it'd be difficult to schedule the qualifying tournaments that far in advance of each tournament. There is an issue there too.

Again, and I'll bold this, if anybody can come up with a feasible way of making this work, then I'd like for it to be done.

If it is indeed possible to do this, then do it. But nobody who ever suggests that we do it gives a reason on how we would organise these things, or suggests a snooker calendar on how it would be done. And this is a legitimate question, because like I say I am not against the idea. But I really, really would like to know how it's feasible. You guys obviously have put a lot of thought into this, and I'd love to see how you'd organsie it. I'm not trying to argue, I'm seriously interested how you'd do it. When this was suggested three or four years ago, it was never fully explained.

Call me SimpleFan, but I really would like somebody to explain to me how they think it would work.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:exactly it would set up them last 3 or 4 events before the Crucible up brilliantly as The Race to Sheffield as players either side of the top 16 cut off all scramble for points and give it their all, not to mention the likeliehood that someone would have a good run and come from about 25th into top 16 contention at the lats minute too. It really would spice things up.

Basically with the rankings being determined for the WC so far in advance it would be the equivalent of the UK still being based on the seasons starting rankings with Cope, Ebdon and Hendry being in the top 16 when there clearly not. Thats just whats going to happen with the Worlds for certain, the wrong top 16 will be there, with 4 rankers not counting its not rolling and is in some ways similar to the old rankings set up / tour when the WC seedings / top 16 didnt take into account the previous rankers that season.

Also were liable to see clashes of top players in round 1 as a qualifier who has done well in this 4 pre-WC tournys and is around top 8 ends up drawn against a top player whilst someone whos seeded despite being down to early 20s in provisionals by time WC starts draws an outsider about 50th in the world.

I'd started typing that previous rant before you typed this, so hadn't read it. rofl

Surely though, if rankings were changed after every tournament, qualifying for after for The Crucible couldn't start until the China Open was over. This would be difficult to sort out? As I ranted before, how would you structure the season, so this would work?

Postby Wildey

i know you would q for hours to see Rory rofl

while witz out dancing :dance:

we do understand problems with tickets and possibly there needs to be a different way of giving out tickets i dont know ?

the way ive always done it is pick a day and pot luck...

ive been to finals and semis and i got no idea who ill be seeing you just have to use that criteria for 1st round.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:i know you would q for hours to see Rory rofl

while witz out dancing :dance:

we do understand problems with tickets and possibly there needs to be a different way of giving out tickets i dont know ?

the way ive always done it is pick a day and pot luck...

ive been to finals and semis and i got no idea who ill be seeing you just have to use that criteria for 1st round.

I get what you're saying, I'm not disagreeing with you. This isn't about what I want as a person. It's about getting the masses to start buying tickets, which has been a problem the last few seasons. I spent £200+ going to the final of The Crucible last year, so I'm not going to suddenly stop buying tickets. But snooker isn't popular with ticket buyers, especially in the earlier rounds, and I was just commenting this might not help.

This is, in a way, the somewhat smaller point though that we've wasted a lot of time discussing. I am still curious as to how people who want the tournament-by-tournament rolling ranking system in place would organise the season. Because if you had that, surely it would make organising of the qualifyings very difficult to do, for the reasons given above. I'm really, really curious how people would go about solving that problem. And in the two times I've seen this issue debated on the internet, nobody has even attempted to answer that question.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:exactly it would set up them last 3 or 4 events before the Crucible up brilliantly as The Race to Sheffield as players either side of the top 16 cut off all scramble for points and give it their all, not to mention the likeliehood that someone would have a good run and come from about 25th into top 16 contention at the lats minute too. It really would spice things up.

I'd started typing that previous rant before you typed this, so hadn't read it. rofl

Surely though, if rankings were changed after every tournament, qualifying for after for The Crucible couldn't start until the China Open was over. This would be difficult to sort out? As I ranted before, how would you structure the season, so this would work?

Well qualifying for the 2012 WC takes places AFTER the China Open in the 2 weeks just BEFORE the WC so its hardly difficult to sort out. Infact the fact the qualifyings taking place directly before the WC makes me think WHY THE HELL NOT UPDATE THE RANKINGS AFTER CHINA !!!!

the tickets issue will never wash with me.

tickets are on sale for round 2, quarter final, semi final and finals and they sell without anyone knowing for sure who will be playing in them so the fact 1st rounds are known is a lame excuse.

Postby Witz78

mythical ideal season calendar

week 1 - PTC1
week 2 - QUALIFYING RANKER 1 / PREMIER LEAGUE WEEK 1
week 3 - RANKER 1

update rankings

week 4 - PREMIER LEAGUE 2/ PTC2
week 5 - PREMIER LEAGUE 3 / PTC3

update rankings

week 6 - QUALIFYING RANKER 2 / PREMIER LEAGUE 4
week 7 - RANKER 2

update rankings

week 8 - PREMIER LEAGUE 5 / PTC4
week 9 - PTC 5

update rankings

week 10 - QUALIFYING RANKER 3 / PREMIER LEAGUE 6
week 11 - RANKER 3

update rankings

and so on etc

this gives an idea of how easy it is to implement fully rolling rankings, qualifying before each event so basically 2 full rankers per month maximum and scope to play Premier League / Championship League in the weeks between tournaments where qualifying takes place and the big names are kicking their heels

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Well qualifying for the 2012 WC takes places AFTER the China Open in the 2 weeks just BEFORE the WC so its hardly difficult to sort out. Infact the fact the qualifyings taking place directly before the WC makes me think WHY THE HELL NOT UPDATE THE RANKINGS AFTER CHINA !!!!

the tickets issue will never wash with me.

tickets are on sale for round 2, quarter final, semi final and finals and they sell without anyone knowing for sure who will be playing in them so the fact 1st rounds are known is a lame excuse.

The World Championship Qualifiers was a bad example, because I was forgetting they didn't split them in two any more. So, yeah, that one is feasible.

There would still have to be some reorganising of the calendar though, that might create differences. The qualifiers for the German Masters take place on 22-25 November, for example. The German Masters take place on 1-5 Februay 2012. If the rankings were revised after each tournament, the qualifiers for each tournament couldn't be held that long before the event, because the people needing to qualify for each tournament would change. As would the amount of matches certain people had to play. That was why I said it would be difficult to andministrate. You wouldn't be able to announce who was playing who and when until the last ranker was finished, it might lead to confusion with the players. The PTCs may also confuse this, though it's less likely to effect a player's ranking that much after each individual tournament, as there is so few ranking points available compared to other things.

When we first mentioned this back in the day on break-off, before the PTCS had been invented, that was my main issue, and one I said I'd like to see resolved. (Which of course, nobody even tried to sensibly discuss, we didn't even have this level of conversation regarding it.)

Postby SnookerFan

Also, let me just reiterate one more time, I'm not arguing with Witz, Wild, Seifer or anybody else that thinks this would be a good idea. (Seifer did a lot of things wrong, and acted like a child, to put it mildly. It doesn't mean I thought he was 100% wrong on every issue. He just pretended that's what people were doing.)

After Wild mentioned my name, and Witz said it was because I was selfish, I thought I'd come on and clarify what I'd actually said in a conversation three years ago that made Wild think I was against it. rofl To be fair, I don't actually care how frequently they update the rankings. It's just a hot day, and I hated being misquoted. <ok>