Post a reply

Your favourite World Championship maximum break?

Cliff Thorburn 1983
8%
Jimmy White 1992
15%
Stephen Hendry 1995
8%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 1997
15%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2003
No votes
Mark Williams 2005
15%
Ronnie O'Sullivan 2008
No votes
Ali Carter 2008
8%
Stephen Hendry 2009
31%

Total votes : 13

Your favourite maximum break made at the Crucible?

Postby Tubberlad

Obviously each of these breaks are special, but which one is your favourite ever?

I'm going to go for Mark Williams' effort in 2005, positionally it was highly flawed, but the pots he made to keep that break alive are, for me, a showcase of what makes Williams such a great player.

After that, I'll go for O'Sullivan's stunning record break in 1997, and then Jimmy White's maximum in 1992. But each break is awesome, that goes without saying.

The best shot played in any of those breaks for me was O'Sullivan's splitting of the red from the pink on the penultimate black... that was genius.

Re: Your favourite maximum break made at the Crucible?

Postby Witz78

had to go for Cliffs cos i remember in my early days watching snooker that was the one they always showed year in year out cos it was the only one at that time and 147s were such a rareity. And for the nostalgia element of it too i guess.

Jimmys in '92 was awesome and Jimmy at his peak potting for fun, it seemed certain hed win the title that year.

Ronnies in '97 my other fave, it seemed a new era of dominance had arrived but even then there was a Jimmy White side to him that you just knew he would underachieve

Postby Casey

Witz78 wrote:Hendrys 2009 one is special because its the only maximum ever made that had 3 shots that actually missed only for the bucket pockets and dodgy knuckles to lure the balls in.

<laugh> Well that's kind of true.

Although the 3 ball plant in that frame before it was even won was something special.

Postby Wildey

They are all special in theeire own way but when Cliff made his it was only the second ever on TV a year after Steve won a Lada Car for doing one <laugh>

so for me its the Cliff one still remember it to this day Saturday afternoon it was around about 4.30pm the midi printer on Grandstand was running at the bottom of the screen with football latest.

such a big deal back then.

Postby SnookerFan

Each are special, especially watching them as they happen.

The two Ronnie and Ali made was special as they happened in the same year. And Hendry's latter was unexpected, as you barely expect him to make a 14 break these days, let alone a 147.

Postby Tubberlad

My least favourite by some distance was Hendry's in 2009, there were so many shots that should not have dropped and it tainted it for me somewhat, although his three ball plant was a superb shot.

All the rest were fantastic

Thorburn: because it was the first, Bill Werbenuick peering around the corner, the commentary, the fluked red, it was immensely special.

White: it was just a stunning break from beginning to end, anyone who doubts how good White was HAS to watch that break.

Hendry (1995): Fantastic pressure break. The shot to pot the blue sticks out, and the pressure black.

O'Sullivan (1997): Made it look ridiculously easy, it was what made young Ronnie so entertaining.

O'Sullivan (2003): Tainted somewhat by him losing the match, but it was a quality break all the same.

Williams: As I've said above, this was my favourite

O'Sullivan (2008): In terms of quality, probably the best. In my opinion that shot to split the red and pink was the greatest I've ever seen.

Carter: The pressure black to seal it and the celebration made this one a special break.

Postby Wildey

what i loved about the 2009 championship the pockets was obviously on the Generous side and yet nobody managed to beat Hendry's Record of 16 centuries in the Event :hatoff:

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:what i loved about the 2009 championship the pockets was obviously on the Generous side and yet nobody managed to beat Hendry's Record of 16 centuries in the Event :hatoff:

that was cos it was a stronger era so players werent getting left as many easy chances as Hendry used to get :john:

Postby gallantrabbit

There were no votes for Jimmy's... Have put that right. I remember watching it at the time and really thought he'd lost position on the black a few times, but Jimmy played his best ever snooker that year and got back on track.
Cliff's was of course special for being the first (it's kind of nice that one was done in the so called 'weak' era...) and of course Ronnie's was outstanding.