Post a reply

Outside of the big three, who has been the best player of the past 15 years?

Ken Doherty
24%
Graeme Dott
8%
Peter Ebdon
24%
Stephen Hendry
21%
Paul Hunter
5%
Ding Junhui
8%
Stephen Lee
No votes
Shaun Murphy
No votes
Neil Robertson
3%
Mark Selby
5%
Matthew Stevens
3%
Judd Trump
No votes

Total votes : 38

Best outside of Sullivan, Higgins & Williams

Postby Tubberlad

Choose up to three... I've gone for Ebdon, Doherty & Hendry (marginally ahead of Robertson). If I had to nail my colours to the mast, I'd say Ebdon.

Also, with the obvious exception of Hendry, would you consider any of them to be all time greats? I can't honestly say that I would, Ebdon & Doherty just fall outside of that bracket for me, but I'd give a few of the younger guys a chance in the future.

Re: Best outside of Sullivan, Higgins & Williams

Postby GJ

robbo has only really came to the fore in last 5 years or so

H is miles ahead ifit was iver last 5 years but as its over 15 years he is on same level has ken and peter

Postby Casey

Great question Tubber. I agree with GJ that Robbo would be a good fit for the last 5 years.

Over the last 15, I would shoot for Peter Ebdon. 3 World finals - a final frame victory, a UK and a handful of rankers. Doherty is also close behind.

Postby Witz78

GJ wrote:robbo has only really came to the fore in last 5 years or so

H is miles ahead ifit was iver last 5 years but as its over 15 years he is on same level has ken and peter

Somebody whos only "came to the fore" in the las 5 years or so cant be at the same level as some who have been around at the top for most of the last 15 years and have won and done more than Robbo in that period.

And as for the last 5 years or so, would Robbo really be miles ahead of Selby and Ding. :no:

Postby Tubberlad

mishcka wrote:This poll is confusing me, for instance, isnt it too early to add Judd to the list, and isnt Hendry obviously in the category of his own??

Probably right on the first point, second point would be a no. He was still one of the top 5 players of the last 15 years, remember that up to 2004 they were still being called the 'big four' and he was World Number One in 2006/07

Postby mishcka

Tubberlad wrote:
mishcka wrote:This poll is confusing me, for instance, isnt it too early to add Judd to the list, and isnt Hendry obviously in the category of his own??

Probably right on the first point, second point would be a no. He was still one of the top 5 players of the last 15 years, remember that up to 2004 they were still being called the 'big four' and he was World Number One in 2006/07

Ah I see your point, less confused now... :-D

Postby Witz78

If we take the last 15 winners of the Worlds, UK and Masters then the total of Majors won in this last 15 year period is

9 - Ronnie, Higgins
6 - Williams
3 - Ding, Hunter
2 - Ebdon, Murphy, Stevens, Selby
1 - Doherty, Hendry, Dott, Robertson, Maguire, Davis

Postby mishcka

Witz78 wrote:If we take the last 15 winners of the Worlds, UK and Masters then the total of Majors won in this last 15 year period is

9 - Ronnie, Higgins
6 - Williams
3 - Ding, Hunter

9X2+6 = 24
6X1 + 2X4+ 3X2 = 20

<cool>

Postby Witz78

mishcka wrote:
Witz78 wrote:If we take the last 15 winners of the Worlds, UK and Masters then the total of Majors won in this last 15 year period is

9 - Ronnie, Higgins
6 - Williams
3 - Ding, Hunter

9X2+6 = 24
6X1 + 2X4+ 3X2 = 20

<cool>

:fart: you had to go and spoil the fun didnt you.

Ok Hendry won the 1996 UK so hes on 2 but that will doon drop off come December.

Basically Hendrys won 1 of the last 44 majors

Wheras Davis has won 1 of the last 43 majors :win:

Postby SnookerFan

In terms of tournaments won, Robertson is up there. His 6 / 6 finals won is an admirable statistic, especially considering one is the World Title. Ding has also been a twice UK champion, and has won The Masters. I also rate Murphy highly. So, I guess those are my three.

But, it's really tough to judge. Judd has talent, and had an amazing purple patch at the end of last season. I don't think he's anywhere near the level of a Higgins, Ronnie or Williams yet. But give it two or three seasons, he might be a consistent tournament winner. Time will tell.

Postby Tubberlad

Witz78 wrote:the fact Stevens and Lee dont have any votes is a bit of a joke really

Nah, Doherty and Ebdon were definitely both better, so are Murphy, Selby, Hunter, Hendry, Robertson and Ding to be fair

Postby Witz78

no i dispute that Tubber.

Its easy in polls like this of a certain time period to be baised towards more recent players, just as if there was a bets matches of the last 15 years then more in recent memory would be cited as over time memories fade and achievements are forgotten or downplayed.

Im not a fan of Stevens but he was without a doubt one of the best players for a good 6-7 years period in the late 90s, early 00s. He won 1 UK and 1 Masters as well as losing 2 WC finals and 2 UK finals. His tag as a bottlerhaunts him though similar to the way a lot of people dismiss Jimmys achievements and career.

As for Lee, hes not called the best cue action in the game for nothing, his lack of Majors always going to haunt him i guess but he was a top talent at his peak which similar to Stevens occured unfortunately whilst the BIG 4 were the major players.

I must admit i think Doherty is over rated, bar his World crown he did have multiple final appearances in all 3 majors but id tend to bracket him alongside Stevens almost. If anything his peak started before 1996 and hes certainly declined far earlier than the likes of Ebdon.

Postby Wildey

if you say of the past 15 years of the players you listed theres no question at all Hendry head and shoulders above all of them

past 10 years would be different <ok>

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:in the past 15 years Hendry won 11 Ranking titles ......

Ebdon only won 6 or 7

10 before 2004 and 1 in the last 8 years

Ebdons won 7 rankers in the 15 year period.

the fact for me is that Hendrys won 1 major after age 27 and that was at age 30 is the big question mark over him

how could he go from being so "great" to an also ran almost overnight.

12 and a half years since he won a Major yet he still kids himself on he can be a force in the game.

the longevity of Davis and latter achievements for me definetly narrows the gap to Hendry, infact throw into the equation that Davis has won more titles and hardly any of his early titles were classed as rankers then theres a case for Davis.

Oops i think ive veered off topic :john:

Postby Roland

In the last 15 years i.e. start of season in 1996:

Doherty reached 3 world finals winning 1
Dott reached 3 world finals winning 1
Hendry reached 3 world finals winning 1
Ebdon reached 2 world finals winning 1
Murphy reached 2 world finals winning 1
Stevens reached 2 world finals
Robertson reached 1 world final winning 1
Selby reached 1 world final

So if you favour world championship performance as the criteria then we have a 3 way tie

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:In the last 15 years i.e. start of season in 1996:

So if you favour world championship performance as the criteria then we have a 3 way tie

out of curiosity by your criteria you have Stevens placed above Robbo by virtue of more World Final appearances

does that then mean that Jimmy is above Ronnie, Higgins and Williams :shrug:

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:Basically Hendrys won 1 of the last 44 majors

How do you work that out when Davis' Masters win came before Hendry's last world title?

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Basically Hendrys won 1 of the last 44 majors

How do you work that out when Davis' Masters win came before Hendry's last world title?

ahh u spotted the convenient flaw in my workings.

ok, looking back i have made a slight error.

This is fact though

Hendry has won 1 of the last 44 majors

Davis has also won 1 of the last 44 majors

Postby Roland

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:In the last 15 years i.e. start of season in 1996:

out of curiosity by your criteria you have Stevens placed above Robbo by virtue of more World Final appearances

does that then mean that Jimmy is above Ronnie, Higgins and Williams :shrug:

It's just the way it came out, obviously 1 world title is worth more than 2 runner up spots.

Yeah I forgot Judd but what is he doing in this poll anyway? He's in year 2 of his first 15 to have a chance in a poll like this :santa: