Post a reply

Hendry / UK Championship

Postby kriss

Is it a formality now that Hendry will have to qualify for the UK? Or every subsequent tournament this season? Or theoretically can he nick back into the top 16 without a good run?

If hes out for sure then its just going to snowball I feel- too tough to come back.

Re: Hendry / UK Championship

Postby Roland

He'll have to qualify but it'll be at the SWSA so he'd have played there a couple of times already so not too bad. Not like the cubicles at the EISS. I don't know what his points situation is like in terms of future cut off, but the fact he was outside the top 100 in the first season of PTCs means he's going to be losing a lot of ground to his top 16 rivals as the points from events from 2 years ago drop off. I fear the end is nigh.

Postby Wildey

hard to know whats happening with hendry he played well in brazil fouled a red with his finger and he was shot to pieces....

his head must be in a jam jar.

i think playing wise he can stil do the buisness and qualifying will be a piece of cake but theres something happening inside his brain that stops him dead in his stride.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:He'll have to qualify but it'll be at the SWSA so he'd have played there a couple of times already so not too bad. Not like the cubicles at the EISS. I don't know what his points situation is like in terms of future cut off, but the fact he was outside the top 100 in the first season of PTCs means he's going to be losing a lot of ground to his top 16 rivals as the points from events from 2 years ago drop off. I fear the end is nigh.

yes but if he can remain inside the top 32 for this season whitch he can im sure of then when PTC Points 2010/2011 coming off next season he only got 920 points lol that wont hurt him much.

Postby gallantrabbit

In Brazil Hendry was awful in his first match against an amateur until the last frame when he nigh on knocked in a max. He'll keep losing as long as he prefers to lose with the occasional ton rather than win playing dig in hit and run. There's no reason in the world he shouldn't be in the top 8. But to regain his confidence he needs to value winning more, not putting on a show. If he leaves it much longer to do this his confidence will be completely shot against players ranked 80.

Postby SnookerFan

For a season or two after Steve Davis dropped out of the top-16 he was qualifying for pretty much every tournament, then suddenly stopped doing so. It'll be interesting to see how Stephen reacts to not be a top-16er any more.

Fortunately, I fear there's not long before he retires. He came close after The Crucible, and has been preparing for it the past few seasons, with commentary and Snooker Legend work.

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:For a season or two after Steve Davis dropped out of the top-16 he was qualifying for pretty much every tournament, then suddenly stopped doing so. It'll be interesting to see how Stephen reacts to not be a top-16er any more.

Fortunately, I fear there's not long before he retires. He came close after The Crucible, and has been preparing for it the past few seasons, with commentary and Snooker Legend work.

and when he qualified he was regularly making 2nd round and quarters too

had the new rolling rankings been in place, hed have made it back into the top 16 as he started the 2009/10 season inside the top 16 provisionally and simply had to qualify for all events that season to be assured of a return. Sadly for some reason (perhaps off field activities with Hearn prior to Hearns takeover? ) he stopped practicising and only focused on the 2 main events, the UK and Worlds which he qualified for both and of course had that run to the quarters of the Crucible.

I feel if Davis has applied himself fully hed def still be top 32 and regularly qualifying and doing well in events still.

As for Hendry, he has no chance of getting back in the top 16 this season let alone the top 8 that some dream of. As Wild realistically puts it (with the amount of points still to lose) surival in the top 32 come the end of the season has to be the priority.

Postby mishcka

Im so old school, and really dont want to see Hendry (or Ronnie) out of the top 16. But what can we do, this is life.
I also dont want Hendry to retire, However I think he may give qualifying a go, and he may not retire (by the end of the season), if things go well for him (MJW feat two seasons may inspire Hendry to stick about) . But if they dont I fear the worse.

The masters wont be the same without Hendry :sad:
Snooker will not be the same without Hendry >-(

Postby SnookerFan

mishcka wrote:Im so old school, and really dont want to see Hendry (or Ronnie) out of the top 16. But what can we do, this is life.
I also dont want Hendry to retire, However I think he may give qualifying a go, and he may not retire (by the end of the season), if things go well for him (MJW feat two seasons may inspire Hendry to stick about) . But if they dont I fear the worse.

People said the same thing when Jimmy White dropped out of the top-16.

This happens. Ranking aren't based on legendary status, or popularity. Everybody has their day, sadly.

Postby mishcka

SnookerFan wrote:
mishcka wrote:Im so old school, and really dont want to see Hendry (or Ronnie) out of the top 16. But what can we do, this is life.

This happens. Ranking aren't based on legendary status, or popularity. Everybody has their day, sadly.

yes but jummy and hendry are of two different species :-D

Postby Witz78

mishcka wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

yes but jummy and hendry are of two different species :-D

More people were sorry to see Jimmy slide down the rankings than they will be for Hendrys slide.

Jimmy was far more popular than Hendry but the fans stuck with snooker, the same will happen now Hendrys no longer in the elite. Infact only blinkered fools would pretend that Hendrys still really been a relevant force in snooker within the last 5 years

Postby SnookerFan

mishcka wrote:yes but jummy and hendry are of two different species :-D

Really? I was under the impression they were both human beings. :huh:

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:

no one was a robot devoid of human expressions, emotions and features.

the only personality he expressed was when he was pricking his spots so that the fluid squirted would hit into the balls potting them.

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:In Brazil Hendry was awful in his first match against an amateur until the last frame when he nigh on knocked in a max. He'll keep losing as long as he prefers to lose with the occasional ton rather than win playing dig in hit and run. There's no reason in the world he shouldn't be in the top 8. But to regain his confidence he needs to value winning more, not putting on a show. If he leaves it much longer to do this his confidence will be completely shot against players ranked 80.

maybe top 8 is optimistic even trump strugling to get in to that but Top 16 definitly i did a list without PTC He would stil be top 16 playing Rubish TBH.

he needs to look at ur post there and realise that.

Steve Davis yesterday was so negative with shot selection he made Eddie Charlton look positive but thats whats needed i feel instead of taking on the Pots he used to be able to pot Blindfolded just play Negative Snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

no one was a robot devoid of human expressions, emotions and features.

the only personality he expressed was when he was pricking his spots so that the fluid squirted would hit into the balls potting them.

And the other was Stephen Hendry?

Postby daraghj82

i don't think stephen will get back in the top 16 this season unless he has a great run in either the worlds or major, so realistically speaking its about making sure he stays well within the top 32

Postby kostasmad

It was very difficult for extremely talented players like Lee and Stevens (that are not that old) to get back to top-16 right away. It took them 2-3 years...

I am of the opinion that It would be a miracle for Hendry despite being the best of all time, he is past his best and not getting younger as well...

Postby Wildey

kostasmad wrote:It was very difficult for extremely talented players like Lee and Stevens (that are not that old) to get back to top-16 right away. It took them 2-3 years...

I am of the opinion that It would be a miracle for Hendry despite being the best of all time, he is past his best and not getting younger as well...

yes first priority for hendry is get stability as a qualifier he has UK and German master quals before christmas he needs to win both of them and play well.