Post a reply

When Did You become interested in Snooker ?

1960s
No votes
1970s
3%
1980-1984
19%
1985-1989
6%
1990-1994
6%
1995-1999
6%
2000-2004
22%
2005-2009
16%
2010 +
22%

Total votes : 32

When Did the Snooker Bug Grab You ?

Postby Wildey

There's a lot of People who posts on here that Never followed snooker during the so called "Golden Years" of the 80s so i was Wandering When did the Snooker Bug Grab Members ?

1960s
1970s
1980-1984
1985-1989
1990-1994
1995-1999
2000-2004
2005-2009
2010 +

Re: When Did the Snooker Bug Grab You ?

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:early 80s from when i can first remember anything really

god you was a cute little guy <laugh>

this poll was inspired by randam hes only been interested in the last 6 years and he loves players that was past their best before they got anywhere <laugh>

many new fans has got in to snooker in resent times i was just wandering what percentage from what era are Snooker Island members..

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:Bit of a Ronnie haircut going on and an Alex cue action in that pic haha

The players Randam supports were past their peak before he was even potty trained

yes thats like a Alex twitch lol

how that little butter wouldnt melt in the mouth boy has grown up to be you ill never know ;-)

Postby beergitte

I was first introduced to snooker in 2003 I think, but I never really got the bug until 2006/7. I can't even name an event that triggered it, somehow it just clicked into place for me.

Postby Wildey

beergitte wrote:I was first introduced to snooker in 2003 I think, but I never really got the bug until 2006/7. I can't even name an event that triggered it, somehow it just clicked into place for me.

yes i first saw snooker and watched it as a "ocatinal viewer" in 1981 but when i saw Alex Higgins lift that title in 1982 it just clicked for me.

Postby mediter

Wild wrote:
beergitte wrote:I was first introduced to snooker in 2003 I think, but I never really got the bug until 2006/7. I can't even name an event that triggered it, somehow it just clicked into place for me.

yes i first saw snooker and watched it as a "ocatinal viewer" in 1981 but when i saw Alex Higgins lift that title in 1982 it just clicked for me.

"ocatinal viewer"

LOL ! :- <laugh> <laugh>

Postby mishcka

Where i come from snooker is as popular as curling (true). So i had to wait for good 20+ years before i got to watch snooker or even know about it! :blush:

I remember when i first moved to England few years ago, that the first thing i watched on british tv was Snooker (it was 2006 masters final)! No one with head on their shoulders would not fall in love with the game after watching that match!!! :-D

Postby Steve K

I would always be interested in the world championship when it was on but I didn't start getting seriously involved until I went to Prestatyn for the 2009 Shanghai Masters qualifiers. First live match I saw was Michael White's 5-0 whitewash of John Parrott!

Postby Witz78

Steve K wrote:I would always be interested in the world championship when it was on but I didn't start getting seriously involved until I went to Prestatyn for the 2009 Shanghai Masters qualifiers. First live match I saw was Michael White's 5-0 whitewash of John Parrott!

what possessed you as a casual fan to suddenly go to Prestatyn ?

seems a bit strange to go from one extreme to the other?

also how did you become such a fan in a short space of time to run your own site etc?

id say ive kinda remained at the same level of snooker fan as i always have been, apart from going to more events now than i used to, plus obviously with the internet age being able to follow the qualifiers far better and with more interest.

Postby Steve K

Think it must of been watching the 2009 world championship that first 'tipped me over the scale' lets say. Me and my dad were looking for a UK holiday destination and I thought Prestatyn would be good anyway for the beaches and the touristy stuff.

The website thing came along after I made a crappy HTML one for a college course that had a review of Ronnie's match against McLeod in the WC. So when the chance came for me to use my brother's wesbite template software (http://spacenode.com) it was a no brainer for me as I had enjoyed taking photos and videos from EPTC4 and Power Snooker and they needed somewhere to go.

Postby Witz78

Steve K wrote:Think it must of been watching the 2009 world championship that first 'tipped me over the scale' lets say. Me and my dad were looking for a UK holiday destination and I thought Prestatyn would be good anyway for the beaches and the touristy stuff.

The website thing came along after I made a crappy HTML one for a college course that had a review of Ronnie's match against McLeod in the WC. So when the chance came for me to use my brother's wesbite template software (http://spacenode.com) it was a no brainer for me as I had enjoyed taking photos and videos from EPTC4 and Power Snooker and they needed somewhere to go.

As a pretty new fan to the game do you find yourself doing a lot 0f research into the past results to educate yourself on the games history, previous winners and main controversies etc so your clued up?

Maybe its just as lifelong fan having seen everything at the time through the 2000s, 90s, and most of the 80s plus jotted up on the stuff to fill the blanks i cant remember and the early days of the sport before i was around (Moondans era :D ) that i would find it impossible to try and "learn" 30 years of the modern era of snooker plus the Joe Davis, 50s+60s challenge years then the 70s Reardon, Spencer era etc.

Postby Steve K

I am always interested in what happend in past tournaments but most of the time I only do full-on research when its relevant to something I am doing on the site or otherwise. I like watching videos of old matches on youtube but there is very little on there exept for highlights of certain matches (young stephen hendry is my favourite) and other big occasions such as 147's.

I think as I grow older I probably will be more interested in old matches but there are so many going on nowadays and other things requring reports/updates its hard to keep up as it is!

Postby SnookerFan

Define bug. I used watch it casually in the 1990s. But it was literally turn on watch a frame, and then not see any for months. It was very casual. I'd watch the odd match with my gran, and knew I thought it was okay.

The first time I properly sat down and watched a tournament was as late as 2002. :emb: It was the year Peter Ebdon won the world title, and I wondered why I hadn't been watching for ten years previously. I'd say 2002 was when I caught the bug, but had watched on and off previous to that.

So pretty late compared to some people.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Define bug. I used watch it casually in the 1990s. But it was literally turn on watch a frame, and then not see any for months. It was very casual. I'd watch the odd match with my gran, and knew I thought it was okay.

The first time I properly sat down and watched a tournament was as late as 2002. :emb: It was the year Peter Ebdon won the world title, and I wondered why I hadn't been watching for ten years previously. I'd say 2002 was when I caught the bug, but had watched on and off previous to that.

i watched snooker in 1981 but the bug hit me in 1982 anyone can flick through a tv channel see snooker and watch it a bug is when you look for it.

Postby SnookerFan

Wild wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Define bug. I used watch it casually in the 1990s. But it was literally turn on watch a frame, and then not see any for months. It was very casual. I'd watch the odd match with my gran, and knew I thought it was okay.

i watched snooker in 1981 but the bug hit me in 1982 anyone can flick through a tv channel see snooker and watch it a bug is when you look for it.

Then I'm a relative newbie in that respect. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wild wrote:

Then I'm a relative newbie in that respect. <laugh>

good i love newbies better than people from the 80s it was so easy getting hooked in the 80s it was everywhere but it shows despite the administrative cockerel ups and the sport being stagnated new fans still found the bug :-)

Postby Witz78

I feel old being a snooker veteran compared to a lot here

did Monique say how she got into snooker, be interesting to hear her story, especially from a womens point of view and as a foreigner plus how she ended up going to all the events clicking her camera

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:I feel old being a snooker veteran compared to a lot here

did Monique say how she got into snooker, be interesting to hear her story, especially from a womens point of view and as a foreigner plus how she ended up going to all the events clicking her camera

i think shes from the very late 90s early naughties it was just not available for mainland europe before eurosport.

Postby Witz78

Wild wrote:

i think shes from the very late 90s early naughties it was just not available for mainland europe before eurosport.

late 90s / early noughties .......... :chin:

so was it the Millenium Bug or the Snooker Bug that grabbed her? :chuckle:

Postby mishcka

Im a woman and foreigner, can say one thing: I would've not got the snooker bug If i hadnt moved to England. Which is one of the very few things that make me feel less homesick :-) :-D

Particularily where i come from, snooker is unheard of! (like seriously, I had to send youtube videos to my friends/family! some even confused snooker with curling!).

Postby Wildey

mishcka wrote: some even confused snooker with curling!).

dont worry players confused snooker with being on holiday <ok> <laugh>